Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to search all the directories Post 24242 by abk on Tuesday 9th of July 2002 01:22:38 AM
Old 07-09-2002
Computer script to search all the directories

Hi there,

Is there any command or script to search all the directories for duplicated files?
Thanks,

Abrahim

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for files in multiple directories

I want to search for a file pattern in more than one directory. How I need to do that? Here is the scenario: I am having a directory structure like the following: /log ...../20051001 ..........ftp_server_20051001.log ..........ftp_down_server.log ..........ftp_up_server.log... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to search directories

Hello everybody, i'm dummy for unix but i want to learn something. i want to search the working directory and its subdirectories( all ) to find the files which are more than 1024 bytes. So which commands must i learn? Thanks to all. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: redbeard_06
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search through directories and sub dir

Im working on a project that basically imitates the find and whereis commands. The program will take in a file name or regular expression and, starting with the current directory search downwards and match any files with that pattern and prints the path name. I don't understand how to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2C
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find restricted search to some directories

Hi, I would like to look for files in certain sub-directories in order to avoid looking into possibly big ones. The subdirectories to search are created monthly following the convention YYYYMM. I've tried this: find . \( ! -name 2 -prune \) -o -type f -print expecting to retrieve only Y... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: m69w
15 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Perl Script to read an excel file into an array and search in the UNIX directories

Hi, I want the Perl script with versions 5.8.2 and 5.8.5 starting with #!/usr/bin/perl The Perl program should read the excel file or text file line by line and taking into an array and search in the UNIX directories for reference file of .jsp or .js or .xsl with path .The Object names... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Search Logs Several Directories Pulling out Only Current Date

Hi All.. I'm seeking assistance with editing a script to search log files in several directories. I'm close to what I'm seeking, but need additional guidance. The log files are always listed by current date; however, inside the log file includes dates that go back to 2011. What I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenaf7
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search file in all directories.

Hi colleagues, I need to search one file in all dierctories, i have O.S. AIX 5.3, my file began with cc, the others caracters i unknow. Then i can to search one string in file in all dierctories. Thank you for advanced. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for file extensions in the given directories

Hey guys, I'm lost... I need to make a script that will work in this way: ./script.sh -e sh /usr/bin /home/student this script will result in this output: amuFormat.sh /usr/bin gettext.sh /urs/bin perfect.sh /home/student the parameter -e <ext> gives you which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miki1579
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)