Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting syntax error on line 1, teletype Post 24169 by Perderabo on Sunday 7th of July 2002 09:33:07 PM
Old 07-07-2002
I can perhaps help a little bit. That error message is from the calculator program, bc. Try this:
echo + | bc
and you should get that message. Most likely, the script is trying to do a calculation with bc by echoing an expression into it. But one of the variables has an illegal number.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sh: syntax error at line 1: `>' unexpected

I compiled C program under SUN OS sparcv9 ...I had a problem related to SIGBUS which has been resolved by adding an option to the CC compiler which is memory alignement option ..-memalign=1i as I remmber ...after running the program I got the below error please let me KNow more details what should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I got error like...syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi All, when i executing scripts i got error like: syntax error on line 1, teletype expr: syntax error expr: syntax error expr: syntax error Please advise to me. Note: Yesterday it's working fine, 2day only i got error. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error at line 28: `(' unexpected

hi can anyone pls look into this....shell script... Pls find the error below: > sh -n tmp tmp: syntax error at line 28: `(' unexpected isql -Usa -S$1 -P`grep $1 dbpassword|cut -d ":" -f3` -w2000 -b<<! set nocount on declare @i int declare @dbname char(6) declare @tmp int if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekar.y
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syntax error at line 8: `(' unexpected

Hi I am having a shell script load_data.sh which calls /home/users/project/.profile. When am executing the script, am getting below error: $sh -x bin/load_data.sh null + . /home/users/project/.profile bin/load_data.sh: syntax error at line 8: `(' unexpected The line which is throwing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brijesh.dixit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error at line 11 : `for' is not matched.

hi , while running this script i am getting below error: Syntax error at line 11 : `for' is not matched. here is program: #! /bin/ksh sqlplus -s << !+! user/password update GR_SUB_SCRIPT_PC set act_del_ind='0'; commit; exit; !+! cd /home/salunke/pvcsfiles/source_files for i in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digambar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR: ./launch_full_backup.sh[18]: Syntax error at line 28 : `else' is not expected.

Help please! :confused: I have the following error with the following file and the emails are not arriving to the email, any idea please? ERROR: ./launch_full_backup.sh: Syntax error at line 28 : `else' is not expected. FECHA=`date +%d%m%y%H%M`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villenan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sh: syntax error at line 8 : `<<' is not matched.

Hi, I am trying to execute the above attached script. and i am getting the error as syntax error at line 8: `<<' is not matched. While i am trying to run that particular line (cat <<EOF > /tmp/query.sql) independently in the prompt it is running successfully without any error. I am running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving error: ./ang.ksh[35]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 116 : `done' is not expected.

Hi All I am quite new to Unix. Following is a shell script that i have written and getting the subject mentioned error. #!/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------------- # File: ang_stdnld.ksh # # Desc: UNIX shell script to extract Store information.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi All, I am getting below error message while executing memory utilization script. $ ./mem1.sh syntax error on line 1, teletype syntax error on line 1, teletype $ $ uname -a SunOS 5.9 XXX Generic_122300-60 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 $ But i can execute same script in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype

Hi, I tried to look up the issue i'm experiencing, but i'm confused what's wrong with my script. After executing the script I'm getting the following error expr: non-numeric argument syntax error on line 1, teletype After some research, it seems that the problem relates to bc. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
ERROR::PASS1(7stap)													       ERROR::PASS1(7stap)

NAME
error::pass1 - systemtap pass-1 errors DESCRIPTION
Errors that occur during pass 1 (parsing) usually mean a basic syntax error of some sort occurred in the systemtap script. There are sev- eral classes of problems possible: plain syntax error The systemtap script parser detects a large variety of errors, such as missing operands, bad punctuation. It tries to list what kinds of tokens it was expecting to see, and will show the region of the source code with the problem. Please review the stap(1) man page and/or the tutorial, to correct the script's syntax. grammar ambiguities There is at least one known ambiguity in the systemtap grammar. It relates to the optionality of ; (semicolon) separators between statements, and the ++ and -- increment/decrement operators. If the parser indicates an error, consider adding some explicit ; sep- arators between nearby statements and try again. missing command line arguments A systemtap script that uses the $N and @N constructs for substituting in command-line options may fail if not enough options were given on the stap command line. compatibility changes Some versions of systemtap have changed the language incompatibly, for example by adding the try/catch keywords for exception han- dling. In such cases, rerun systemtap with the --compatibility=VERSION option, substituting the last systemtap version where your script was known to work. You may also check the release-history NEWS file for compatibility changes. GATHERING MORE INFORMATION
Increasing the verbosity of pass-1 with an option such as --vp 1 can help pinpoint the problem. SEE ALSO
stap(1), error::reporting(7stap) ERROR::PASS1(7stap)