Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: printing control characters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers printing control characters Post 24 by Neo on Wednesday 20th of September 2000 04:42:46 PM
Old 09-20-2000
Question

Can't you just echo the control sequence with the appropriate escape chars and then redirect the output
to the device file (/dev/lpr or whatever)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable printing control file

When my users print they all receive an extra page with the following info: User Oracle Host sol02 Class sol02 Job standart input The printer has the following /etc/lp/printers/PRINTER/configuration file: Banner: off Content types: postscript Device: /dev/null Interface:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpuhl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

screen control characters

Hi, Can anyone help me with controlling the cursor position from a shell script. Things like moving left,right,up,down etc Anyone have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing to Windows and maintaining control

I'm new at the entire spectrum of printing in Unix, and especially when--as I understand it--the printers are on a Windows server. At work we have a variety of printers and printing from Windows, or from Unix via lp or lpr works fine. The initial problem: Our users will be printing up to 20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: effigy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CUPS printing and control escape codes

I ported application from SysV to Linux and run into troubles with printing. Application uses lp and HP JetDirect-based printers, it inserts HP control codes in the file and uses plain lp -d dest doc-file command to print it. The Linux (Ubuntu 8) has CUPS system, which I am not familiar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Hallo Team, I am trying to get rid of the dollar sign. I managed to remove all the other special characters but i am struggling with this one. -bash-3.2$ cat -e missing_revenue_20141112.csv|less|head BW0522168531211141180935668@196.23.110.141$ BW092218784121114-370120610@196.23.110.141$... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Printer printing control codes

Solaris 10: Having some trouble with a new printer printing control codes. This is an HP MFP M632. Tried a few ppd files and without a ppd file using commands similar to the follow: lpadmin -p L4102A -v /dev/null -m netstandard -n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)