Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: network out
Special Forums IP Networking network out Post 2390 by turtle on Wednesday 9th of May 2001 08:33:42 PM
Old 05-09-2001
I am having a problem with getting out to the network from my computer. It just stopped working one day and I didn't change any of my networking files. The strange thing is that i can still ping out and get alive responses and I can ssh into it from a remote location . I'm running Solaris 8 with an ultra 5. any suggestions??

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help in developing a Network Appliation to monitor pc in a network

I am developing a Network Appliation to monitor computers in a network. Specs are App monitors the current web page viewed in each system App also can shutdown the computer in the network App can show all process run by each computer in the network I am now confused how to start my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: valaparambil88
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Shell Script & Blade Logic & Network Security

I am going to take up a position in Data & Network Security. I would need to write network shell scripts doing the following task: Going to around 2000 servers and findout which groups has access to each servers and which ids are there in each group that has access. I need to implement... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
1 Replies

4. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Access to network interface (Mac-network)

Hi, I'm a italian student. For my thesis I develop a gateway with protocol 6lowpan. For that I must access to network interface to develope my personal stack based on standard 802.15.4. Can you help me? I need an explanation for that. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: berny88
0 Replies

6. Solaris

No network cable But Network interface is UP and Running

I've one Netra 240 After changing main board and system configuration card reader, Network is not accessible any more, Network interfaces are always UP and Running even when there is no cable connected to Network interfaces. I tried to restart and plumb/unplumb with no luck. ifconfig -a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network

My son does homework on a school laptop. I was thinking about setting up a gateway on my home network, so that I can monitor web traffic and know if he is doing his homework without standing over his shoulder. Ideally I would like to use the Raspberry Pi Model b that I already have. However, I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
15 Replies
External(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     External(3pm)

NAME
Net::Ping::External - Cross-platform interface to ICMP "ping" utilities SYNOPSIS
In general: use Net::Ping::External qw(ping); ping(%options); Some examples: use Net::Ping::External qw(ping); # Ping a single host my $alive = ping(host => "127.0.0.1"); print "127.0.0.1 is online" if $alive; # Or a list of hosts my @hosts = qw(127.0.0.1 127.0.0.2 127.0.0.3 127.0.0.4); my $num_alive = 0; foreach (@hosts) { $alive = ping(hostname => $_, timeout => 5); print "$_ is alive! " if $alive; $num_alive++; } print "$num_alive hosts are alive. "; # Using all the fancy options: ping(hostname => "127.0.0.1", count => 5, size => 1024, timeout => 3); DESCRIPTION
Net::Ping::External is a module which interfaces with the "ping" command on many systems. It presently provides a single function, "ping()", that takes in a hostname and (optionally) a timeout and returns true if the host is alive, and false otherwise. Unless you have the ability (and willingness) to run your scripts as the superuser on your system, this module will probably provide more accurate results than Net::Ping will. Why? o ICMP ping is the most reliable way to tell whether a remote host is alive. o However, Net::Ping cannot use an ICMP ping unless you are running your script with privileged (AKA "root") access. o The system's "ping" command uses ICMP and does not usually require privileged access. o While it is relatively trivial to write a Perl script that parses the output of the "ping" command on a given system, the aim of this module is to encapsulate this functionality and provide a single interface for it that works on many systems. ping() OPTIONS This module is still "alpha"; it is expected that more options to the "ping()" function will be added soon. o "host, hostname" The hostname (or dotted-quad IP address) of the remote host you are trying to ping. You must specify either the "hostname" option or the "ip" option. "host" and "hostname" are synonymous. o "ip" A packed bit-string representing the 4-byte packed IP address (as returned by "Socket.pm"'s "inet_aton()" function) of the host that you would like to ping. o "timeout" The maximum amount of time, in seconds, that "ping()" will wait for a response. If the remote system does not respond before the timeout has elapsed, "ping()" will return false. Default value: 5. o "count" The number of ICMP ping packets to send to the remote host. Eventually, Net::Ping::External will return the number of packets that were acknowledged by the remote host; for now, however, "ping()" still returns just true or false. Default value: 1. o "size" Specifies the number of data bytes to be sent. The default is 56, which translates into 64 ICMP data bytes when combined with the 8 bytes of ICMP header data. Default value: 56. SUPPORTED PLATFORMS Support currently exists for interfacing with the standard ping utilities on the following systems. Please note that the path to the `ping' should be somewhere in your PATH environment variable (or your system's closest equivalent thereof.) Otherwise, Net::Ping::External will be unable to locate your system's `ping' command. o Win32 Tested OK on Win98, Win XP. It should work on other Windows systems as well. o Cygwin Tested OK on Cygwin 1.5.21. Problem is that we may be running windows ping. They have different options. o Linux Tested OK on Debian 2.2 and Redhat 6.2. It appears that different versions of Linux use different versions of ping, which support different options. Not sure how I'm going to resolve this yet; for now, all the options but "count" are disabled. o BSD Tested OK on OpenBSD 2.7 and 3.0, Netbsd 1.5.3, Freebsd 4.6.2, 5.4. Needs testing for BSDi. o Solaris Tested OK on Solaris 2.6 and 2.7. o IRIX Tested OK on IRIX 6.5. o AIX, DEC OSF, UNICOSMK, NeXTStep, HP-UX, BSD/OS (BSDi), BeOS Support for these systems is integrated into this module but none have been tested yet. If you have successful or unsuccessful test results for any of these systems, please send them to me. On some of these systems, some of the arguments may not be supported. If you'd like to see better support on your system, please e-mail me. More systems will be added as soon as any users request them. If your system is not currently supported, e-mail me; adding support to your system is probably trivial. BUGS
This module should be considered beta. Bugs may exist. Although no specific bugs are known at this time, the module could use testing on a greater variety of systems. See the warning below. WARNING
This module calls whatever "ping" program it first finds in your PATH environment variable. If your PATH contains a trojan "ping" program, this module will call that program. This involves a small amount of risk, but no more than simply typing "ping" at a system prompt. Beware Greeks bearing gifts. AUTHOR
Alexandr Ciornii (alexchorny AT gmail.com), Colin McMillen (colinm AT cpan.org) This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. CREDITS
Dan Moore contributed command-line options and code for NeXT, BeOS, HP-UX, and BSD/OS. Jarkko Hietaniemi contributed a huge list of command-line options and results for the `ping' command on 9 different systems. Randy Moore contributed several patches for Win32 support. Marc-Andre Dumas contributed a patch for FreeBSD support. Jonathan Stowe fixed a bug in 0.09 that prevented the module from running on some systems. Numerous people sent in a patch to fix a bug in 0.10 that broke ping on Windows systems. Peter N. Lewis contributed a patch that works correctly on Mac OS X 10.2 (and hopefully other versions as well). SEE ALSO
Net::Ping perl v5.10.1 2008-12-18 External(3pm)