Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Log files duplicated themselves? Post 23810 by DISTURBED on Sunday 30th of June 2002 11:57:18 PM
Old 07-01-2002
Log files duplicated themselves?

Something strange happend today, I checked in /var/log has usual and I noticed that I have a "messages.1", "cron.1" "maillog.1", and so on. This has never happened before so I just want to know if this is normal? Before I always had "messages" "maillog" and "cron" but now I have 2 of each file. whats going on?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can root ID be duplicated

Hi, I have the root id and the uid is always 0 for the root. Can i create another user say admin with the uid as 0? If so will it have the same privilege as that of user. Will there be any effect while doing this? lorcan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorcan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - find, recursively, all files that are duplicated

Hi. I have a problem that i can't seem to resolve. I need to create a script that list all the files, that are found recursively, with the same name. For example if a file exists in more than one directory with the same name it list all the files that he founds with all the info. Could someone... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KitFisto
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with remove duplicated content

Input file: hcmv-US25-2-3p hsa-3160-5 hcmv-US33 hsa-47 hcmv-UL70-3p hsa-4508 hcmv-UL70-3p hsa-4486 hcms-US25 hsa-360-5 hcms-US25 hsa-4 hcms-US25 hsa-458 hcms-US25 hsa-44812 . . Desired Output file: hcmv-US25-2-3p hsa-3160-5 hcmv-US33 hsa-47 hcmv-UL70-3p hsa-4508 hsa-4486... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicated UID

Hi folks! I need you help to discover what's the impact of a duplicated UID in an operating system. What's the meaning when someone put in different users the same UID? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phcostabh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in duplicated chars in password

i have code to generate passwords but the issue is the duplicated chars so can any one help and give me function to check and verify if there is any duplicated chars as also the script uses capitals and small letters and numbers only many thx guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suicide_king
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicated lines??

Hi Guys.. I have a problem for some reason my database has copied everything 4 times. My Database looks like this: >BAC233456 rhjieaheiohjteo tjtjrj6jkk6k6 j54ju54jh54jh >ANI124365 afrhtjykulilil htrjykuk rtkjryky ukrykyrk >BAC233456 rhjieaheiohjteo tjtjrj6jkk6k6 j54ju54jh54jh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iifa
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skipped duplicated files from log

I have a script to get files from remote server to local path the issue I wanna log the output of every collected files but look like something went wrong , I feel that my error is hide in what follows: In ftp function I did not manage to control if file exist in my local directory then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicated lines?

Hi, if i have a file like this: Query=1 a a b c c c d Query=2 b b b c c e . . . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_simpsons
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files and remove duplicated rows

In a folder I'll several times daily receive new files that I want to combine into one big file, without any duplicate rows. The file name in the folder will look like e.q: MissingData_2014-08-25_09-30-18.txt MissingData_2014-08-25_09-30-14.txt MissingData_2014-08-26_09-30-12.txt The content... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bergans
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join files, omit duplicated records from one file

Hello I have 2 files, eg more file1 file2 :::::::::::::: file1 :::::::::::::: 1 fromfile1 2 fromfile1 3 fromfile1 4 fromfile1 5 fromfile1 6 fromfile1 7 fromfile1 :::::::::::::: file2 :::::::::::::: 3 fromfile2 5 fromfile2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CHoggarth
4 Replies
queuedefs(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - Queue description file for at, batch, and cron commands DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron or specifies other characteristics for cron. Each noncom- ment line in this file describes either one queue or a cron characteristic. Each uncommented line should be in one of the following for- mats. q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] max_jobs=mjobs log=lcode The fields in these lines are as follows: The name of the queue. Defined queues are as follows: The default queue for jobs started by at The default queue for jobs started by batch The default queue for jobs run from a crontab file Queues d to z are also available for local use. The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in the queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run. The others will be initiated as currently running jobs ter- minate. The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in the queue that are not run with a user ID of superuser. The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing (max_jobs) has been reached. The maximum number of active jobs from all queues that may run at any one time. The default is 25 jobs. Logging level of messages sent to a log file. The default is 4. Defined levels are as follows: level-code level 0 None 1 Low 2 Medium 3 High 4 Full Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following file specifies that the b queue, for batch jobs, can have up to 50 jobs running simultaneously; that those jobs will be run with a nice value of 20. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. b.50j20n60w The following file specifies that a total of 25 active jobs will be allowed by cron over all the queues at any one time, and cron will log all messages to the log file. The last two lines are comments that are ignored. max_jobs=25 log=4 # This is a comment # And so is this FILES
Main cron directory The default location for the queue description file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), cron(8), crontab(1), nice(1) delim off queuedefs(4)