Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers delete files that are over 2 hours old Post 23801 by hedrict on Sunday 30th of June 2002 05:12:15 PM
Old 06-30-2002
delete files that are over 2 hours old

guys,

I have a need for a script that will delete all files in a given directory that are over 2 hours old. I will set this up to run in cron. I'm having a little trouble coming up with the syntax that will identify these files. Is there a variation of the ls command that I can use to identify these files? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files older than 2 hours

I want to write a sh script that will find files older than 2 hours and tar them. I've had a look at the find man page but can't see how to do it by hours. Help please. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ianf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

move log files over 12 hours old...

Hi, I know I can use touch and find's "! -newer" option to list files that are older than a specific time, but what is a good way to get a list of files that are over 12 hours old? The log pruner will run throughout the day, twice an hour. So I can't easily use a cronjob touch command to generate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thomas Pluck
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing files after 6 hours or older

What is the command to remove files that are generated 6 hours or older? The find and remove tells only how to remove if the file is one day old or more. Appreciate quick reply. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthokala
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files created in last 24 hours

I need a script which list the files which is starting with the word heap*** and that is created before past 24 hours.I need the script using find command. please help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete logs every 3 hours

Hi, I want to setup a cronjob that will delete logs every 2 hours. I have script that delete logs per day. but logging is too big and i want to run a conjob that will delete every 2 hours. this is my current command but it deletes on a per day basis. find . -name "*.log*" -o -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files by hours old?

I need to be able to do the following: Find files in multiple directories that are 6 hours older than the current time? I am using KSH I tried mmtime but it was not a valid option Any help would be great. Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list files between last 6 hours to 3 hours

Hi Frens, I want to list some files from a directory, which contains "DONE" in their name, i am receiving files every minute. In this i want to list all the files which are newer than 6 hours but older than 3 hours, of current time i dont want my list to contain the latest files which are ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

files older than few hours

Hi All I need to know the command which can be used to list the files which are 3 hours old so that it can be deleted. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskalyani9
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls files newer than 6 hours

How do I list al files in a folder with a creation date/time newer than 6 hours? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Files Older than 1 hours.

How to Deleting Files Older than 1 hours. Base on SunOS. this file gen every 1 min. -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nobody 4960 Jan 27 02:02 23_201301270201.log -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody amudu 2325 Jan 27 02:03 33_201301270202.log -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody amudu 3255 Jan 27 02:03... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies
CRON(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   CRON(8)

NAME
cron -- daemon to execute scheduled commands (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
cron [-n] [-x debugflags] DESCRIPTION
cron is normally started during system boot by rc.d(8) framework, if cron is switched on in rc.conf(5). It will return immediately so you don't have to start it with '&'. cron searches /var/cron/tabs for crontab files which are named after accounts in /etc/passwd. Crontabs found are loaded into memory. cron also searches for /etc/crontab which is in a different format (see crontab(5)). Finally cron looks for crontabs in /etc/cron.d if it exists, and executes each file as a crontab. When cron looks in a directory for crontabs (either in /var/cron/tabs or /etc/cron.d) it will not process files that: - Start with a '.' or a '#'. - End with a '~' or with ``.rpmsave'', ``.rpmorig'', or ``.rpmnew''. - Are of zero length. - Their length is greater than MAXNAMLEN. cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs, checking each command to see if it should be run in the current minute. When executing commands, any output is mailed to the owner of the crontab (or to the user named in the MAILTO environment variable in the crontab, if such exists). Events such as START and FINISH are recorded in the /var/log/cron log file with date and time details. This information is useful for a num- ber of reasons, such as determining the amount of time required to run a particular job. By default, root has an hourly job that rotates these log files with compression to preserve disk space. Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its spool directory's modtime (or the modtime on /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d) has changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime on all crontabs and reload those which have changed. Thus cron need not be restarted when- ever a crontab file is modified. Note that the crontab(1) command updates the modtime of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab. The following options are available: -x This flag turns on some debugging flags. debugflags is comma-separated list of debugging flags to turn on. If a flag is turned on, cron writes some additional debugging information to system log during its work. Available debugging flags are: sch scheduling proc process control pars parsing load database loading misc miscellaneous test test mode - do not actually execute any commands bit show how various bits are set (long) ext print extended debugging information -n Stay in the foreground and don't daemonize cron. Daylight Saving Time and other time changes Local time changes of less than three hours, such as those caused by the start or end of Daylight Saving Time, are handled specially. This only applies to jobs that run at a specific time and jobs that are run with a granularity greater than one hour. Jobs that run more fre- quently are scheduled normally. If time has moved forward, those jobs that would have run in the interval that has been skipped will be run immediately. Conversely, if time has moved backward, care is taken to avoid running jobs twice. Time changes of more than 3 hours are considered to be corrections to the clock or timezone, and the new time is used immediately. SIGNALS
On receipt of a SIGHUP, the cron daemon will close and reopen its log file. This is useful in scripts which rotate and age log files. Natu- rally this is not relevant if cron was built to use syslog(3). FILES
/var/cron/tabs cron spool directory /etc/crontab system crontab file /etc/cron.d/ system crontab directory /var/log/cron log file for cron events SEE ALSO
crontab(1), crontab(5) AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> BSD
October 12, 2011 BSD