Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory finding out the pid for a busy text file Post 23775 by jxh461 on Friday 28th of June 2002 07:01:40 PM
Old 06-28-2002
Question finding out the pid for a busy text file

Can some one please tell me how to find out the proccess ID that is holding up a file.

I am attempting to remove a file and I am getting a message stating that it is busy.

i.e

rm filename
filename: 777 mode ? (y/n) y
rm: filename not removed. Text file busy

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding out if there is text in a file.

I have a script that when run creates 4 other text files. Sometimes a couple of these text files are empty. So what I am trying to do is find out if there is text in the file and if not delete the file. What I have so far is the following script. I am just not sure how to return a true value... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iCONAN
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding text in a file

How do i find text string in a file if i have no idea where the file is? What I am trying to do is find an email address in a file and have no idea where the file is. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: §ynic
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the nice(ni) number with PID?

Hi, is there a command that takes the PID of a process and that only diplays it's ni number? I`m pretty sure it would require pipes but I tried a few things that ended up miserably... Since the ps command doesn't show the ni unless I do ps -o ni but then I can't find a way to search the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding PID of a process using variable substituition

Hi All, Am copying mulitple files in a directory in names File0,File1,File2 etc. I need to print separately the PID of these copies using File names. for((i=0;i<5;i++)) do mypid=`ps aux | awk '/File$i/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'` echo PID is $mypid done It printed nothing. Thinking... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem mystery: disks are not busy on one machine, very busy on a similar box

Hi, We have a filesystem mystery on our hands. Given: 2 machines, A and Aa. Machine Aa is the problem machine. Machine A is running Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.22.9 #1 SMP Wed Feb 20 08:46:16 CST 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Machine Aa is running RHEL5.3, kernel 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 11:41:38... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschwage
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Finding PID of Killing process

Say I have 2 processes(perl scripts on Solaris machine) A and B. the process A kill the process B. While in the process B how do I print the PID of the process that Killed it(process A) before dieing. My process A looks like open(STATS, "ps -ef|"); while ($inputLine = <STATS>) { if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_007
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Finding most busy file system

Hi Experts, I was asked to find most busy file system on one of the server. It is Sun 10. Any idea to get this? Thanks, Deepak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding text in file

Hello, Please help me with this. I have two files. file1.txt and file2.txt File1 contains text as below txt1 txt2 txt3 txt4 txt5 txt6 txt7 txt8 File2 contains text as below $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 ----------------------------- txt1 txt2 - - - 0 2 8 -*- txt0 txt7 - - - 1 4 8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in finding the PID by grep and assigning to a variable

Hello All, I am facing difficulty in getting the PID value & then assigning it to a variable, kindly help me in resolving the issue. Thanks a lot in advance. The custom utility used inside the Test2.sh will process the file in a batch of 10 lines at once and for efficient memory management,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding the exit status of a 'nohup' command using 'PID'.

Hello All, I need to run a set of scripts, say 50 of them, parallely. I'm running these 50 scripts, from inside a script with the help of 'nohup' command. 1.The fifty scripts are stored in a separate file. 2.In a master script, i'm reading every line of the file through loop and executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
4 Replies
ASN2ASN(1)						     NCBI Tools User's Manual							ASN2ASN(1)

NAME
asn2asn - convert NCBI data between text and binary ASN.1 SYNOPSIS
asn2asn [-] [-b] [-e] [-i filename] [-l filename] [-o filename] [-s] [-x] DESCRIPTION
asn2asn converts data in NCBI's ASN.1 format between binary and text subformats, or to isomorphic XML. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. - Print usage message -b Input asnfile in binary mode -e Input is a Seq-entry -i filename Read input from filename rather than stdin -l filename Log errors to filename -o filename Write output to filename rather than stdout -s Output asnfile in binary mode -x Output XML instead of ASN.1 AUTHOR
The National Center for Biotechnology Information. SEE ALSO
asn2ff(1), asn2gb(1), asn2xml(1), asndhuff(1) NCBI
2002-08-30 ASN2ASN(1)