Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't create more pipe
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Can't create more pipe Post 23647 by janr on Wednesday 26th of June 2002 02:09:49 PM
Old 06-26-2002
Tools maybe the kernel wil help

When i read your mesage i think off

1) change the kernel parameter "max. processes per user"
2) change the kernel parameter "max. allowed users"

the second one goes because each Xterm = 1 user

since i do not know with taste of UNIX you use i do not know how to change.

maybe you find in the syslog more information about the reason

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

6. SCO

Cannot create pipe

Hi, I'm new here, so please dont shoot me if I forgot something :) Some SCO box we've (our company) got recently from a new customer runs an app that hangs the entire box every once in a while. Today when an admin tried to start the db we got this error: $ dbstart dbstart: line 22: cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: necron
6 Replies

7. Programming

Create a pipe to /dev/tty

Hello everybody: I have a child process which reads a password from /dev/tty, as far as I know file descriptors for the child process can be seen by using lsof, so I want to connect to such device in order to send the password through a pipe, how could I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash code to create named Pipe

Guy's, I need help with creating a pipe, I found this code online but not exactly sure what different parts are doing. Will someone be able to help me with explaining what code is doing? Also what I want is to have everything the same directory. Meaning I am working in directory: I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
5 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to create one's own pipe in one's own shell?

Good evening, I'm trying to do my own shell and I encountered some issues while creating it. Indeed when I try such a command I have DAUPHINE> DAUPHINE> ls -l | grep terminal > fichier DAUPHINE> cat fichier My shell is named DAUPHINE Whereas I should have: Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntoineCompagni
0 Replies
setuname(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      setuname(1M)

NAME
setuname - change machine information SYNOPSIS
setuname [-t] [-n node] [-s name] DESCRIPTION
The setuname utility changes the parameter value for the system name and node name. Each parameter can be changed using setuname and the appropriate option. Either or both the -s and -n options must be given when invoking setuname. The system architecture may place requirements on the size of the system and network node name. The command will issue a fatal warning mes- sage and an error message if the name entered is incompatible with the system requirements. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n node Changes the node name. node specifies the new network node name and can consist of alphanumeric characters and the special characters dash, underbar, and dollar sign. -s name Changes the system name. name specifies new system name and can consist of alphanumeric characters and the special charac- ters dash, underbar, and dollar sign. -t Temporary change. No attempt will be made to create a permanent change. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
setuname attempts to change the parameter values in two places: the running kernel and, as necessary per implementation, to cross system reboots. A temporary change changes only the running kernel. SunOS 5.10 9 Jul 2003 setuname(1M)