Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XML parsers for UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users XML parsers for UNIX Post 23292 by timvant on Thursday 20th of June 2002 09:38:34 AM
Old 06-20-2002
XML parsers for UNIX

Hi,

I'm looking for XML parsers for UNIX!

Thanks in advance
Tim

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XML and Unix

i wanted to add a child element child2 into a below xml . <parent1> <child1></child1> </parent1> like <parent1> <child1></child1> <child2></child2> </parent1> What is the best way to do this using unix commands. I donot want to create a temp file.... cat original |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehgalniraj
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XML Translator to run in UNIX

Hello, newbie (non-techie) here. I'm a business analyst for a software company in the Bay Area. A project I just got assigned to involved researching for an enterprise version of a XML translator that will run on UNIX. I'm looking for something that won't be too costly to purchase as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antsy
4 Replies

3. Linux

XML in unix

Can you please tell for some freeware unix based command line XML parser/tool which will check whether a particular XML corresponds to its XSD or not. please help immediately......... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converter XML to PDF in Unix

Does anyone know of a lightweight freeware utility that will do the following?: 1) Input an XML file and XLS file 2) Do a transform 3) Then output a pdf file for Unix Platform. Thanks Andrea (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrea.giovanno
3 Replies

5. Programming

xml and c programming for unix

Does anyone can tell me what is the best way to post a xml request to a web service on C. I am using expat for parsing the response, but until now i build my xml request with a bunch of strcat functions, then connect to the port and send it that way. I am wondering if there are libraries or a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: loquito
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML and UNix ???

Hello Everyone!!! I have a list of XML files, in different directories, the structure for which is: <Data> <Info> <a> some text </a> <b> some text </b> <c> 3000 </c> </Info> <Info> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve the performance of parsers in Perl?

Hi, I have around one lakh records. I have used XML for the creation of the data. I have used these 2 Perl modules. use XML::DOM; use XML::LibXML; The data will loo like this and most it is textual entries. <eid>19000</eid> <einfo>This is the ..........</einfo> ......... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing an unix variable to an XML

I need help I have a unix command : VERSION=$(ls -d /vsn/v12.??.??.?? | sort | tail -1) when i do echo $VERSION, i get the exact value, i want. Now i want to use this variable and pass it to an xml. How can i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samk
1 Replies

9. Programming

Perl and XML Parsers

Hi, Am pretty new for perl scripting and confused how to use XML Parser.. I just want to know how to use perl and XML parser.. The scenario is when i execute a command, it will generate a XML file.. From that XML file generated i need to grep for specific term that has HTML TAG say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

XML parsing by UNIX

Hi, I am new in shell scripting. i want to extract tag values in xml files by using shell script. my files like this: <cw: properties> <cw:std_properties> <tns: properties> <tns:name>AdminOutQueue</tns:name> <tns:type>String</tns:type> <tns:subtype>QueueName</tns:subtype> <tns:value... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
25 Replies
SAX(3)							User Contributed Perl Documentation						    SAX(3)

NAME
XML::SAX - Simple API for XML SYNOPSIS
use XML::SAX; # get a list of known parsers my $parsers = XML::SAX->parsers(); # add/update a parser XML::SAX->add_parser(q(XML::SAX::PurePerl)); # remove parser XML::SAX->remove_parser(q(XML::SAX::Foodelberry)); # save parsers XML::SAX->save_parsers(); DESCRIPTION
XML::SAX is a SAX parser access API for Perl. It includes classes and APIs required for implementing SAX drivers, along with a factory class for returning any SAX parser installed on the user's system. USING A SAX2 PARSER The factory class is XML::SAX::ParserFactory. Please see the documentation of that module for how to instantiate a SAX parser: XML::SAX::ParserFactory. However if you don't want to load up another manual page, here's a short synopsis: use XML::SAX::ParserFactory; use XML::SAX::XYZHandler; my $handler = XML::SAX::XYZHandler->new(); my $p = XML::SAX::ParserFactory->parser(Handler => $handler); $p->parse_uri("foo.xml"); # or $p->parse_string("<foo/>") or $p->parse_file($fh); This will automatically load a SAX2 parser (defaulting to XML::SAX::PurePerl if no others are found) and return it to you. In order to learn how to use SAX to parse XML, you will need to read XML::SAX::Intro and for reference, XML::SAX::Specification. WRITING A SAX2 PARSER The first thing to remember in writing a SAX2 parser is to subclass XML::SAX::Base. This will make your life infinitely easier, by providing a number of methods automagically for you. See XML::SAX::Base for more details. When writing a SAX2 parser that is compatible with XML::SAX, you need to inform XML::SAX of the presence of that driver when you install it. In order to do that, XML::SAX contains methods for saving the fact that the parser exists on your system to a "INI" file, which is then loaded to determine which parsers are installed. The best way to do this is to follow these rules: o Add XML::SAX as a prerequisite in Makefile.PL: WriteMakefile( ... PREREQ_PM => { 'XML::SAX' => 0 }, ... ); Alternatively you may wish to check for it in other ways that will cause more than just a warning. o Add the following code snippet to your Makefile.PL: sub MY::install { package MY; my $script = shift->SUPER::install(@_); if (ExtUtils::MakeMaker::prompt( "Do you want to modify ParserDetails.ini?", 'Y') =~ /^y/i) { $script =~ s/install :: (.*)$/install :: $1 install_sax_driver/m; $script .= <<"INSTALL"; install_sax_driver : @$(PERL) -MXML::SAX -e "XML::SAX->add_parser(q($(NAME)))->save_parsers()" INSTALL } return $script; } Note that you should check the output of this - $(NAME) will use the name of your distribution, which may not be exactly what you want. For example XML::LibXML has a driver called XML::LibXML::SAX::Generator, which is used in place of $(NAME) in the above. o Add an XML::SAX test: A test file should be added to your t/ directory containing something like the following: use Test; BEGIN { plan tests => 3 } use XML::SAX; use XML::SAX::PurePerl::DebugHandler; XML::SAX->add_parser(q(XML::SAX::MyDriver)); local $XML::SAX::ParserPackage = 'XML::SAX::MyDriver'; eval { my $handler = XML::SAX::PurePerl::DebugHandler->new(); ok($handler); my $parser = XML::SAX::ParserFactory->parser(Handler => $handler); ok($parser); ok($parser->isa('XML::SAX::MyDriver'); $parser->parse_string("<tag/>"); ok($handler->{seen}{start_element}); }; EXPORTS
By default, XML::SAX exports nothing into the caller's namespace. However you can request the symbols "Namespaces" and "Validation" which are the URIs for those features, allowing an easier way to request those features via ParserFactory: use XML::SAX qw(Namespaces Validation); my $factory = XML::SAX::ParserFactory->new(); $factory->require_feature(Namespaces); $factory->require_feature(Validation); my $parser = $factory->parser(); AUTHOR
Current maintainer: Grant McLean, grantm@cpan.org Originally written by: Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org Kip Hampton, khampton@totalcinema.com Robin Berjon, robin@knowscape.com LICENSE
This is free software, you may use it and distribute it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
XML::SAX::Base for writing SAX Filters and Parsers XML::SAX::PurePerl for an XML parser written in 100% pure perl. XML::SAX::Exception for details on exception handling perl v5.16.3 2011-09-04 SAX(3)