Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Windows Binaries
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Windows Binaries Post 23257 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 19th of June 2002 02:50:05 PM
Old 06-19-2002
It's not a stupid question, just a slightly humorous one.

Let me give a few answers to this question. I am not an expert on this topic, but I have decent understanding of it.

First, UNIX was created way before Gates ever thought about creating/buying/stealing the Windows OS. ( somewhat sarcastic here!). Gates was trying to establish a market for his concept of a PC for everyone, capturing marketshare for HIS product, and UNIX was not exactly user friendly back in the 80's.

Second, the Microsoft OS is closed source, meaning that you probably have to get permission to develop software for Microsoft OSs. Also, all proprietary UNIX flavors have the same conditions.

Third, Unix and Microsoft are extremely different animals. Microsoft until recently is basedon the MSDOS structure. UNIX is based/written on the C programming language. Two very different languages. Like comparing Apples and Elephants...

The short answer is that Gates wouldn't give away his garbage without a licensing agreement. Also, I am not sure that the Windows binaries would even run on a UNIX based system.

Although, now we are getting closer. OS X is based on Darwin which is UNIX. Windows 2000 is also using a kernel which has some UNIX parts to it.

Maybe someone else can give a more detailed answer here.

Smilie Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to create freeBSD binaries in Linux or Windows

I have a trouble: i cannot install and use freeBSD for some reasons(have no computer now, and comps on my work are Windowsed), but I need to compile some UNIX sources for freeBSD(this one: http://ppcpp.sf.net/). What can I do? Are there a compilers, that can run in Windows, but can compile binaries... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
3 Replies

2. Solaris

compare two binaries.

Dear I want to know how i can compare between two binaries by using check sum command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abu_hassan
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to compare binaries

I have the same two source files. They MUST be compiled with -g debugger option. The binaries are different. But in fact the binaries work the same. How to compare them to know the are compiled using the same source code. In Linux it is enough to: strip --strip-all <file> and diff shows no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mblank
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping down binaries

Hello, I am the CEO of Grand Tech Corporation. We are launching Linux NT and forgive me, but I do not know how to strip binaries down in Mandriva Linux. Can someone tell me a way to?:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux NT
2 Replies

5. Linux

nmap binaries for linux

Hi , I am exploring the nmap utility for Linux. I know that, nmap binaries are specific to the platforms e.g. nmap binaries will be diferent for Windows , AIX , Solaris and Linux platforms. Can anyone tell me , will the nmap binaries be different for different flavours of Linux such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jatin56
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does /bin contain binaries for builtins?

Why do shell builtins like echo and pwd have binaries in /bin? When I do which pwd, I get the one in /bin. that means that I am not using the builtin version? What determines which one gets used? Is the which command a definitive way to determine what is being run when I enter pwd? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
16 Replies

7. Red Hat

Intel binaries on PPC

Is it possible to run binaries compiled for Intel platforms running on linux on a PPC system running on linux? I have a POWER4 IBM system and like to use it as a linux box with all desktop apps on it. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare binaries

Hi All, I am very new to scripting and wanted to write a script for comparison of folder including binary files like ear's and jars. Following is the job for which I need it: 1. Compare two folders recursively 2. Compare the binaries like ear's but exclude files like MANIFEST files 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick.topgun
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

bitwise and between two 32 bit binaries

Hello All, i have two 16 bit binaries that in two different variables, i want to perform a bitwise AND between the two and store the result in a different variable. can anyone throw some light on doing this in a bourne shell... eg var1= 1110101010101011 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
8 Replies
WBINFO(1)																 WBINFO(1)

NAME
wbinfo - Query information from winbind daemon SYNOPSIS
wbinfo [ -u ] [ -g ] [ -h name ] [ -i ip ] [ -n name ] [ -s sid ] [ -U uid ] [ -G gid ] [ -S sid ] [ -Y sid ] [ -t ] [ -m ] [ -r user ] [ -a user%password ] [ -A user%password ] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Samba suite. The wbinfo program queries and returns information created and used by the winbindd(8) daemon. The winbindd(8) daemon must be configured and running for the wbinfo program to be able to return information. OPTIONS
-u This option will list all users available in the Windows NT domain for which the winbindd(8) daemon is operating in. Users in all trusted domains will also be listed. Note that this operation does not assign user ids to any users that have not already been seen by winbindd(8). -g This option will list all groups available in the Windows NT domain for which the winbindd(8) daemon is operating in. Groups in all trusted domains will also be listed. Note that this operation does not assign group ids to any groups that have not already been seen by winbindd(8). -h name The -h option queries winbindd(8) to query the WINS server for the IP address associated with the NetBIOS name specified by the name parameter. -i ip The -i option queries winbindd(8) to send a node status request to get the NetBIOS name associated with the IP address specified by the ip parameter. -n name The -n option queries winbindd(8) for the SID associated with the name specified. Domain names can be specified before the user name by using the winbind separator character. For example CWDOM1/Administrator refers to the Administrator user in the domain CWDOM1. If no domain is specified then the domain used is the one specified in the smb.conf workgroup parameter. -s sid Use -s to resolve a SID to a name. This is the inverse of the -n option above. SIDs must be specified as ASCII strings in the tradi- tional Microsoft format. For example, S-1-5-21-1455342024-3071081365-2475485837-500. -U uid Try to convert a UNIX user id to a Windows NT SID. If the uid specified does not refer to one within the winbind uid range then the operation will fail. -G gid Try to convert a UNIX group id to a Windows NT SID. If the gid specified does not refer to one within the winbind gid range then the operation will fail. -S sid Convert a SID to a UNIX user id. If the SID does not correspond to a UNIX user mapped by winbindd(8) then the operation will fail. -Y sid Convert a SID to a UNIX group id. If the SID does not correspond to a UNIX group mapped by winbindd(8) then the operation will fail. -t Verify that the workstation trust account created when the Samba server is added to the Windows NT domain is working. -m Produce a list of domains trusted by the Windows NT server winbindd(8) contacts when resolving names. This list does not include the Windows NT domain the server is a Primary Domain Controller for. -r username Try to obtain the list of UNIX group ids to which the user belongs. This only works for users defined on a Domain Controller. -a username%password Attempt to authenticate a user via winbindd. This checks both authenticaion methods and reports its results. -A username%password Store username and password used by winbindd during session setup to a domain controller. This enables winbindd to operate in a Win- dows 2000 domain with Restrict Anonymous turned on (a.k.a. Permissions compatiable with Windows 2000 servers only). EXIT STATUS
The wbinfo program returns 0 if the operation succeeded, or 1 if the operation failed. If the winbindd(8) daemon is not working wbinfo will always return failure. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 2.2 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
winbindd(8) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. wbinfo and winbindd were written by Tim Potter. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter 19 November 2002 WBINFO(1)