Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Condition checking
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Condition checking Post 23112 by Perderabo on Monday 17th of June 2002 12:05:26 PM
Old 06-17-2002
Your example doesn't make sense. A "while" does not have two sections like that. You can't do stuff between the test and the "do"! It looks like you might mean to use an "if" statement? Also a "while" implies looping until something changes. It look like a legal value will give you an infinite loop. And if the user enters an illegal value, are you just going to give up? Or loop until you get a legal value?

And in any event, if there are, say, 10 strings that you must check for, then you need to check for them all. No way around that. But rather than code a lengthy "if" statement ( or "while" statement), I would go with a "case" statement.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking condition inside the loop

Hi all, I have one clarification i am using the loop which will process for each record .suppose there is f ailure in the first record it need to send mail and process the next .my code: defcount=`cat <filename>|wc -l` while ] do if <some condiotion> then echo "mail" fi done so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed solution for condition checking

Hi all , Recently i came across this in FAQ's. I have a file cat rem.txt sreedhar 20 sreedhar 10 sreedhar 15 sreedhar 18 sreedhar 16 sreedhar 30 I have to replace sreedhar with "Sridhar" if the second parameter is > 18. I need to do it in "sed" only. I am wondering how this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip file By checking condition.

Hi.. Gurus I Have a list of .zip files in a directory. I want to check whether each .zip file having some particular file or not (say .jsp) if it's having .Jsp file then create a directory as per the .zip file and extract the content to that directory except the .jsp file, If .zip not having... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting specific line of a file by checking condition

testfile.csv 0","1125209",,"689202CBx18888",,"49",,,"NONMC",,,,,"01112010",,,,,,,"MTM- "1","",,"689202ABx19005",,"49",,,"NONMC",,,,,"01072010",,,,,,,"MTM- testfile.csv looks like above format if the second column is null then get 23rd column and store in a different varible .. add all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

create separate file after checking condition..

Problem : I want to create a separate file for country list if condition is true. Please help. ***************************************************** Input file: SV-INCR-139302-365540488-201104090934.sqllog SV-INCR-1082-552793184-201104040805.sqllog SV-INCR-1077-855045741-201104040805.sqllog... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple condition checking in bash

Hi All, I am trying to check if two variables have value assigned to it. i am doing it like if ] then echo "Please specify either single hostname or host file for the report" usage exit fi But its not working for it.Even i specify values for both variables it dont go... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file existence along with condition

Hi am trying to write a script which find the existence of a file from a find command output and perform a task if the file exists. Help me out with the correct syntax . Am trying with the following one but unable to get the output. if then <some tasks> else echo "file not exists" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Condition checking in UNIX

i have a script where i have to find the age of a file, if then echo "dnb file is present for the monthly load" >> $RUNLOG dnb="1" else echo "dnb file has not arrived yet" > $ERRLOG dnb="0" fi i know the file is available so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Condition checking issue while if

hi, i am using a simple condition end_ct=`sqlplus -s $ORACLE_USER/$ORACLE_PASS@$ORACLE_SID << EOF select description from bravo_statistics where trunc(time_stamp)=trunc(sysdate)-1 and description='END CAT'; EOF` echo $end_ct; echo... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
30 Replies
for(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    for(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
for - ``For'' loop SYNOPSIS
for start test next body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
For is a looping command, similar in structure to the C for statement. The start, next, and body arguments must be Tcl command strings, and test is an expression string. The for command first invokes the Tcl interpreter to execute start. Then it repeatedly evaluates test as an expression; if the result is non-zero it invokes the Tcl interpreter on body, then invokes the Tcl interpreter on next, then repeats the loop. The command terminates when test evaluates to 0. If a continue command is invoked within body then any remaining commands in the current execution of body are skipped; processing continues by invoking the Tcl interpreter on next, then evaluating test, and so on. If a break command is invoked within body or next, then the for command will return immediately. The operation of break and continue are similar to the corresponding statements in C. For returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the for command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: for {set x 0} {$x<10} {incr x} { puts "x is $x" } SEE ALSO
break, continue, foreach, while KEYWORDS
for, iteration, looping Tcl for(n)