Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Interactive String
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Interactive String Post 23008 by odogbolu98 on Friday 14th of June 2002 12:42:17 PM
Old 06-14-2002
Interactive String

I intend to write a script, where the user will supply the name of the specific string that script should work on.

The first question is how do I accept the string, i.e interactively? and the second question how would the string be refrenced ?

Thanks in advance,

Odogbolu98

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interactive patching?

I would like to ask if anyone knows of a Unix program that is like patch(1), but applies each diff interactively so I can decide on whether to apply a particular diff. This is my situation: someone has made certain changes to a file I created, sent me the modified copy and I would like the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbkihong
2 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

non interactive vim

I wanna edit a file non-interactively using vim editor The file contains a line: ACTIVATIONCODE= I have a variable called ACT. I want to edit the file non-interactively using vim such that the concerned line is converted to: ACTIVATIONCODE=contents of the variable ACT ---------- Post... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

5. AIX

Telnet non interactive

Dear all, I need to have shell script which does telnet to another machine with non interactive way like what we do using ftp. Thanks, Shahnaz. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script

Greetings gurus I have this simple scripts #!/bin/bash find /kl1/CTT/TQI_001/330_spike/sz00/latcon1/ -type d -name "*.dig" > data_schema find /kl1/CTT/TQI_001/330_spike/sz00/latcon1/ -type d -name "*.dig" >> data_schema <data.schema awk '{print NR, "inVol=" $0, "setDt=4000",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marjan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH non-interactive

Hi, I want to know how to use SSH non-interactively? I am already able to use sftp -b <batch file> user@host so public/private key set-up already is in place. But my supervisor has told me to use SSH now I want to know how it can be done? I want to do something like: done_files=`ssh ls... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive script – if then

Hi, I am writing an interactive shell script (ksh) but I have no idea how I could make a condition on it : Variables : rep_config="${rep_tools}/_CONFIG" rep_config_old="${rep_config}/_PROTO_OLD" Here is the interactice part : lst_proto=$(cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
2 Replies

9. Solaris

New interactive installation

I just took delivery of an Ultra Sparc 60 box. I tried to install Solaris 10 from the cdrom by issuing the following command at ok prompt: ok boot cdrom, and I am getting an error message that says: "Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@6,0:f File and args: can't open boot device. What am I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijeoma
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating an interactive process with EOF string

Hello, I'm running Stockfish chess engine ( Home - Stockfish - Open Source Chess Engine ) CLI on Linux in interactive mode which is working fine. root@ubuntu1950x:~# ./stockfish Stockfish 080218 64 POPCNT by T. Romstad, M. Costalba, J. Kiiski, G. Linscott setoption name Debug Log File... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies
GPE-QUESTION(1) 						   gpe-question 						   GPE-QUESTION(1)

NAME
gpe-question - GPE interface for asking questions from shell scripts. SYNOPSIS
gpe-question [---icon] name {--question "Question text"} {--buttons icon1:text1} [icon2:text2 ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian(TM) distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. gpe-question provides dialogues to raise a question within the GPE Palmtop Environment with cancel and ok buttons. OPTIONS
--question STRING The question to ask the user via the dialogue. --buttons type:label The type and label of the button(s) to be shown. Repeat for additional buttons. EXAMPLES
gpe-question "test" --question "Do you want to check first?" --buttons YES:yes NO:no AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTHOR
Moray Allen Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Neil Williams Debian 1 January 16, 2007 GPE-QUESTION(1)