Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is it worth to shift to Linux from Windows? Post 2295 by abubakar on Friday 4th of May 2001 04:57:30 PM
Old 05-04-2001
Thanks for you reply

Thanks for your reply on my question. I have now more clear idea of Linux in relation to UNIX operating system.
Thanks a lot and I am surely going now to pursue in LINUX as well as upgrading my knowledge of UNIX.
Thanks again.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shift files from xshell to windows.

hey i'm new at this stuff. i need to write a program in windows. which will fetch files from a unix machine using xshell. please help me with this. :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tan_army810
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vnc over an ssh tunnel Linux to Linux to Windows

I *think* what I want to do is not only possible but easy, but as a "dummy" :) I can't figure it out. Here's what I have: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) laptop that is not in my house, but has an Internet connection. Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) computer in my house that has unfettered access to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WesleyC
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is this system worth?

So my family is cleaning out our house and my dad stumbled on a Unix system with Unigraphix installed on it, and he remembers that it was 1 of 6 computers in a set that he used at a tool and dye machine shop where he worked. He said that the computer by itself with the monitor was $20,000! I was... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NVOtosReborn
8 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Is M.Sc (FOSS) worth doing?

Recently while reading an linux magazine I understood that FOSS (Free or open source software) is gaining momentum.. And in my home town there is an reputed university which offers M.Sc online program on FOSS. The course covers: INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTING, PHILOSOPHY AND PRACTICE OF FOSS,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
4 Replies

6. Programming

Is C worth the effort?

Hello guys, I have a little question. I think about learning c or c++ because im very interessted in low Level programming. And because i love Unix Too i thought C would be the better choice since Most it Done in c. Or should i learn c++? Because C++ has all this nice Features like oop and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dryPants
9 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Are certifications worth it?

I have just been on RedHat SA 3 training course (4 days) and sat exams EX200 (RHCSA) and EX300 (RHCE) The daft thing was that politics meant I wasn't allowed to take courses SA 1 or 2. So I learnt about stuff I would never use (SELinux; iSCSI; NFS Kerberos encrypted with user specific access... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
22 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
PHP_UNAME(3)								 1							      PHP_UNAME(3)

php_uname - Returns information about the operating system PHP is running on

SYNOPSIS
string php_uname ([string $mode = "a"]) DESCRIPTION
php_uname(3) returns a description of the operating system PHP is running on. This is the same string you see at the very top of the phpinfo(3) output. For the name of just the operating system, consider using the PHP_OS constant, but keep in mind this constant will con- tain the operating system PHP was built on. On some older UNIX platforms, it may not be able to determine the current OS information in which case it will revert to displaying the OS PHP was built on. This will only happen if your uname() library call either doesn't exist or doesn't work. PARAMETERS
o $mode -$mode is a single character that defines what information is returned: o 'a': This is the default. Contains all modes in the sequence "s n r v m". o 's': Operating system name. eg. FreeBSD. o 'n': Host name. eg. localhost.example.com. o 'r': Release name. eg. 5.1.2-RELEASE. o 'v': Version information. Varies a lot between operating systems. o 'm': Machine type. eg. i386. RETURN VALUES
Returns the description, as a string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Some php_uname(3) examples <?php echo php_uname(); echo PHP_OS; /* Some possible outputs: Linux localhost 2.4.21-0.13mdk #1 Fri Mar 14 15:08:06 EST 2003 i686 Linux FreeBSD localhost 3.2-RELEASE #15: Mon Dec 17 08:46:02 GMT 2001 FreeBSD Windows NT XN1 5.1 build 2600 WINNT */ if (strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3)) === 'WIN') { echo 'This is a server using Windows!'; } else { echo 'This is a server not using Windows!'; } ?> There are also some related Predefined PHP constants that may come in handy, for example: Example #2 A few OS related constant examples <?php // *nix echo DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR; // / echo PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX; // so echo PATH_SEPARATOR; // : // Win* echo DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR; // echo PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX; // dll echo PATH_SEPARATOR; // ; ?> SEE ALSO
phpversion(3), php_sapi_name(3), phpinfo(3). PHP Documentation Group PHP_UNAME(3)