Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 2 line prompt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 2 line prompt Post 22835 by RTM on Tuesday 11th of June 2002 11:45:48 AM
Old 06-11-2002
From the command line you can put in

# PS1='$PWD Control V Control J
# '

And you should get your present working directory on one line (put in what ever you want instead) and a # sign on the next...add a space for visual.

The Control V Control J would not be typed out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path in prompt line?

Can anyone tell me what makes the current path appear in the prompt ? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leitwolf
4 Replies

2. AIX

prompt line

Hlo sir My system file / system file is full and i am unable to enter any command such as ls or to start my server RS6000 The network is blocked and the users are log off. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sobnc
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter if-then condition on command prompt/line ?

Hi I have some trouble entering if-then condition in a single line on a command prompt in csh. Could someone show how does one do that ? eg: source .cshrc; cd $dir; pwd; test -d $backup_dir; if then mkdir -p ${backup_dir}; echo inside loop; fi; echo outside loop; mv -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpc8250
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a message at specific line on prompt

Hi Friends, I am using HP-UNIX(ksh). I want to print a message at specific line on the prompt screen. For Example: for num in 1 10 3 145 do echo $num // need to print this on the same line for each number sleep 2 done Actual Output: ========== 1 10 3 145 Expected Output:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niroj
5 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Website-Command Line Prompt

Hello guys... I am having a doubt. Please try to rectify it. I would really appreciate it. The thing is that is it possible to open any website say for example,google from the command line prompt(terminal) if you are working in Linux-fedora... I am very new to Unix. regards, Mahesh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to prompt for input if not given on command line?

I have a script built that takes the standard inputs $1 $2 $3 after the name and parses some data. hexsite=`echo "obase=16;$1"|bc` hexfix=$(printf "%.3X" 0x$hexsite) if || ;then type=33 elif || ;then type=59 elif ;then type=99 else type=00 fi cat /directory/*.2012$3*| I am... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCGameGuy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two-line prompt using Korn

I'm attempting to set up a two-line prompt using Korn. This is what I've set up in .kshrc PS1='$(print -n "`logname`@`hostname`:";if ] then; print -n "~${PWD#$HOME}"; else; print -n "$PWD";fi;print "\n$ ")' And in .profile, ENV="$HOME/.kshrc"; export ENV The hosts that in use are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnpepper
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect prompt extending to next line

Hi guys, I am trying to install a software which is a shell script. I am using expect to do the silent installation. There is a strange line during the installation of the software like this below. The prompt goes to the next line. ENTER AN ABSOLUTE PATH, OR PRESS <ENTER> TO ACCEPT THE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapkap
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add charactère before all line return by prompt?

For example, if i do ls I want to have a string like "<br> file1 ....... <br>file2 ..... <br>file3 ....." i think i ve to use xargs, but i can't find the solution. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
3 Replies
CHICKEN-BUG(1)						      General Commands Manual						    CHICKEN-BUG(1)

NAME
chicken-bug - generates a bug report from user input SYNOPSIS
chicken-bug [ filename | OPTION ... ] OPTIONS
-help Show usage information. -to-stdout Write bug report to standard output instead of writing it to a file. - Read user input from standard input, even if files are given on the command line. DESCRIPTION
chicken-bug generates a bug report file that collects user-input, optional files and system information obtained from the installed CHICKEN executables and libraries. Non-option arguments given on the command line are inserted into the bug report. If no option is given, or if - has been passed on the command line, then a description of the problem is read from standard input, until EOF (CTRL-D) or a line consisting only of "." (period) is read. The bug report will be written to a file in the current directory, which should be sent to CHICKEN maintainers as it contains various use- ful bits of information that make it easier to classify the problem described. Bug reports should be as detailed as possible. It is also very helpful to include code that reproduces the problem. The more detailed the input and the more thorough the description is, the easier you make it for the CHICKEN developers to help you. BUGS
Submit bug reports by e-mail to chicken-janitors@nongnu.org AUTHOR
The CHICKEN Team. SEE ALSO
chicken(1) 19 Sep 2001 CHICKEN-BUG(1)