Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Process Run time information
Top Forums Programming Process Run time information Post 22816 by Perderabo on Tuesday 11th of June 2002 08:00:46 AM
Old 06-11-2002
"ps -<pid> -f" is not legal. I only get an error message. Maybe you mean "ps -f <pid>"? But anyway, if a process needs to find out its own cpu usage, it should invoke the times() system call.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pthreads run time information

Hello, Can anybody please tell me how to get the time for which the thread has run in Solaris 5.7. I am trying to read from /proc/pid/lwp/lwpsinfo. However, I am getting only the start time and not the run time. I am using pthreads. Also, Is there a way to get the used stack size for the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmurali
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run process in certain date and time

hi all! i want to run a process in certain date and hour (like feb 2007 ,hour 3 p.m) how shell i write it my script call cs-update-pr another question :as the script running, will i see it as process ?ho does it run background? and if not - how can i define to him to run background? thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process information

What sort of statistical information related to a running process can we retrieve using commands? For example, we can get the process id, memory usage and running time of a process using the commands ps and ipcs . Can we get any more information about a running process? Please list them. Also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run multiple process at the same time

Hello guys, Look what im doing: I need to run a process from a SERVER1 to SERVER2, SERVER3 and SERVER4. The shell of the process is in each SERVER (2 to 4) So from SERVER1 i do: for i in SERVER2 SERVER3 SERVER4 do rsh $i ' ./process.sh ' done The problem is: each process.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Decrease priority of a particular process in time of process creation

how to decrease priority of a particular process in time of process creation... and also how to decrease priority of a particular process after process creation.. can any one please help me out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramkum
2 Replies

6. Programming

kill a process which run out of time

hello everybody!! i want ur help! it is urgent!! ... pid=fork(); if(pid==0) { execl(a program); exit(1);} else if (pid>0) { timer(5); //(command 1)timer is a function that count up to 5sec if(kill(pid,0)==0)kill(pid,9);//(command 2) wait(&status); .... } else perror("error");... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run process with nohup every certain time

Hi, I need execute a script every 30 minutes. As might be done without using cron Thx. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor the process system when a process from user takes longer than 15 min run.

get email notification from from system when a process from XXXX user takes longer than 15 min run.Let me know the time estimation for the same. hi ,any one please tell me , how to write a script to get email notification from system when a process from as mentioned above a xxxx user takes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankrishna3
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To run 5 commands at the same time with process from a list

I have many command is list in the variable lists,each command will run a very long time, so I want to run 5 commands at the same time with process till it complete run all the command, lists="aa bb cc dd xx gg blabla zz ......." ( a very long list) can some one point me the codes? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies
sa(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     sa(8)

Name
       sa, accton - print process accounting statistics

Syntax
       /etc/sa [ options ] [ file ]

/etc/accton [ file ]

Arguments
       file    With  an  argument naming an existing file, causes system accounting information for every process executed to be placed at the end
	       of the file.  If no argument is given, accounting is turned off.

Description
       The command reports on, cleans up, and generally maintains accounting files.

The is able to condense the information in into a summary file which contains a count of the number of times each command  was  called  and
       the time resources consumed.  This condensation is desirable because on a large system can grow by 100 blocks per day.  The summary file is
       normally read before the accounting file, so the reports include all available information.

If a file name is given as the last argument, that file will be treated as the accounting file.	The file is the default.

Output fields are labeled: "cpu" for the sum of user+system time (in cpu seconds), "re" for real time (also in cpu seconds), "k"  for  cpu-
       time  averaged  core usage (in 1k units), "avio" for average number of I/O operations per execution.  With options fields labeled "tio" for
       total I/O operations, "k*sec" for cpu storage integral (kilo-core seconds), "u" and "s" for user and system cpu time  alone  (both  in  cpu
       seconds) will sometimes appear.

Options
       -a      List  all  command names including those containing unprintable characters and those used only once. By default, places all command
	       names containing unprintable characters and those used only once under the name `***other.'

-b      Sort output by sum of user and system time divided by number of calls.  Default sort is by sum of user and system times.

-c      Besides total user, system, and real time for each command, print percentage of total time over all commands.

-d      Sort by average number of disk I/O operations.

-D      Print and sort by total number of disk I/O operations.

-f      Force no interactive threshold compression with option.

-i      Do not read in summary file.

-j      Instead of total minutes for each category, give seconds per call.

-k      Sort by cpu-time average memory usage.

-K      Print and sort by cpu-storage integral.

-l      Separate system and user time; normally they are combined.

-m      Print number of processes and number of CPU minutes for each user.

-n      Sort by number of calls.

-r      Reverse order of sort.

-s      Merge accounting file into summary file when done.

-t      For each command, report ratio of real time to the sum of user and system times.  If the sum of user and system times is too  small
	       to report, `*ignore*' appears in this field.

-u      Superseding all other flags, print for each command in the accounting file the user ID and command name.

-v      Followed  by  a number n, types the name of each command used n times or fewer.	Await a reply from the terminal; if it begins with
	       `y', add the command to the category `**junk**.' This is used to strip out garbage.

Restrictions
       Accounting is suspended when there is less than 2% free space on disk.  Accounting resumes when free space rises above 4%.

Files
       Raw accounting

Summary

Per-user summary

See Also
       acct(2), ac(8)

sa(8)