Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change directory Post 22788 by RTM on Monday 10th of June 2002 10:12:32 PM
Old 06-10-2002
When you execute the script, it starts a child process. The child process ends up in the last directory - not the parent.

To have the parent end up there, you need to run the script differently

sh and ksh
% . ./myscript

csh
$ source ./myscript

This will cause the parent to run the script instead of creating a child process to do it. Beware that some other problems may be created by doing this (just check that your script is not expecting something from the directory you started in...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory

hi, Iam in directory A. I run a script from there. inside the script i have a command cd B. When i come out of the script directory is A only. Even when i come out scrip i want the directory to be B How to achieve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Directory

I have a directory that is existing under my root dir of the FTP server. The DIR name is 'Software Patch'. I want to move in to that DIR to download some patches. But, when I issued a command 'cd SOftware Patch', the system said that it cannot find the dir 'Software'. I tried all possible ways like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory if available

I have a simple shell script that prompts the user to enter a directory to navigate to. What i want it to do and i don't know how to do this is if the directory is invalid automatically navigate to the home directory. echo "enter a directory to navigate to:" read directory cd $directory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
6 Replies

5. AIX

disallow change directory

Dear all expects, I have a security problem that I would like to resolve. I need to create a user ID in my AIX 5.3 environment and to point the login to a specific directory for FTP purposes. There is only 2 directories that I can allow the user ID to perform read/write. I would like to prevent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change database directory to another directory?

Hi, I Installed mysql on my CentOS 6.2 Server. But when I tried to change the location of /var/lib/mysql to another directory. I can't start the mysql. Below is what I've done yum install mysql mysql-server mysql-devel mkdir /path/to/new/ cp -R /var/lib/mysql /path/to/new chown -R... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganitolngyundre
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission to a directory

Hi, How do i change the permission to read/write to a windows directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Directory

Hi All, There is a code like below in my script ############################################### ###Create Directories and Sub-Directories ############################################### dpdir=DP_FROM_${from}_TO_${to} mkdir $dpdir cd $dpdir mkdir AWQM WFCONTROLLER PROVCO PRISM ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory shell

#!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter number of sanger patients : "; read id perl -ne 'chomp; system ("perl table_annovar.pl $_ humandb/ -buildver hg19 -protocol refGene,popfreq_all,common,clinvar,clinvarsubmit,clinvarreference -operation g,f,f,f,f,f -otherinfo")' < file.txt I have the above script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)