Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Writing fast and efficiently - how ? Post 22691 by chikong on Sunday 9th of June 2002 02:36:41 AM
Old 06-09-2002
Bug actual cause of slowness?

Do we really know if the slowness observed is caused by resource contention (many process contenting one SHMEM) or is caused by resource utilisation (the path length of the code doing the SHMEN access)?

If the actual cause is contention, and the process es appeared slow because they spend most of their time waiting, one of the solutions is to have more resouces (multiple SHEM? and pack them up by tge background process).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

how to use PING command efficiently

Do anyone telle me please how to use PING command to verify connection (TCP/IP) between serveurs. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoang
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Writing fast and efficiently - how ?

I have a lot of processes all of which need to write quite a lot of data to the filesystem ( to a single file). This is managed today in the following way : all the processes write the data to a shared memory block, which is manged by a process that empties it to a file, thus allowing more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seeker
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xapply efficiently?

Hi all, Were currently using xapply to run multiple ssh instances that then calls a script that returns the PID of a webserver process. Currently we have like 30 xapply statements in a script call checkit which checks various webserver processes on various unix/linux boxes. My question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdsffl
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to search files efficiently using patterns

hi friens, :) if i need to find files with extension .c++,.C++,.cpp,.Cpp,.CPp,.cPP,.CpP,.cpP,.c,.C wat is the pattern for finding them :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunsubbhian
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a string efficiently

I am new to the boards and to shell programming and have a requirement to name new files received with a unique sequence number. I need to look at a particular file pattern that exists and then to increment a sequence by 1 and write the new file. Example of file names and sequence # ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandiego_coder
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and delete lines efficiently

Hi I have a set of options in the form of key value in a file. Need to find a particular value of 'a' and delete all lines till the next 'a' keyword . Ex : a bbb c ddd e fff g hhh a sss c ggg e xxx f sss a ddd d sss r sss g hhh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TDUser
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Efficiently Repeat Text

Hi, Often when I use echo statements in scripts I echo a line of #'s above and below. For example: echo ##### echo hello world echo ##### However, I generally have a series of about 75 #'s. For example: echo #(x 75) echo hello world echo #(X 75) While this helps to delineate... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting remote variables more efficiently

Hello all, I have a script that has to get variables remotely. Rather than having the script login to the remote server 3 separate times, is there a faster way to get each variable? ##Server comes from input or list## CHKINSTALL=`ssh server "swlist | grep -i program" | grep -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purging 2000+ directories efficiently

Hi I have a requirement wherein i need to purge some directories. I have more than 2000 directories where i need to keep data for 10 days and delete the rest. What i am looking for is an efficient way to achieve this. There are four mount points from where i need to delete the files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apoorvbarwa
3 Replies
PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSCOPE(3)				     Linux Programmer's Manual					  PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSCOPE(3)

NAME
pthread_attr_setscope, pthread_attr_getscope - set/get contention scope attribute in thread attributes object SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_attr_setscope(pthread_attr_t *attr, int scope); int pthread_attr_getscope(pthread_attr_t *attr, int *scope); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_attr_setscope() function sets the contention scope attribute of the thread attributes object referred to by attr to the value specified in scope. The contention scope attribute defines the set of threads against which a thread competes for resources such as the CPU. POSIX.1-2001 specifies two possible values for scope: PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM The thread competes for resources with all other threads in all processes on the system that are in the same scheduling allocation domain (a group of one or more processors). PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM threads are scheduled relative to one another according to their scheduling policy and priority. PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS The thread competes for resources with all other threads in the same process that were also created with the PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS contention scope. PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS threads are scheduled relative to other threads in the process according to their schedul- ing policy and priority. POSIX.1-2001 leaves it unspecified how these threads contend with other threads in other process on the system or with other threads in the same process that were created with the PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM contention scope. POSIX.1-2001 requires that an implementation support at least one of these contention scopes. Linux supports PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM, but not PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS. On systems that support multiple contention scopes, then, in order for the parameter setting made by pthread_attr_setscope() to have effect when calling pthread_create(3), the caller must use pthread_attr_setinheritsched(3) to set the inherit-scheduler attribute of the attributes object attr to PTHREAD_EXPLICIT_SCHED. The pthread_attr_getscope() function returns the contention scope attribute of the thread attributes object referred to by attr in the buf- fer pointed to by scope. RETURN VALUE
On success, these functions return 0; on error, they return a nonzero error number. ERRORS
pthread_attr_setscope() can fail with the following errors: EINVAL An invalid value was specified in scope. ENOTSUP scope specified the value PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS, which is not supported on Linux. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
The PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM contention scope typically indicates that a user-space thread is bound directly to a single kernel-scheduling entity. This is the case on Linux for the obsolete LinuxThreads implementation and the modern NPTL implementation, which are both 1:1 threading implementations. POSIX.1-2001 specifies that the default contention scope is implementation-defined. SEE ALSO
pthread_attr_init(3), pthread_attr_setaffinity_np(3), pthread_attr_setinheritsched(3), pthread_attr_setschedparam(3), pthread_attr_setschedpolicy(3), pthread_create(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-04-19 PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSCOPE(3)