Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Writing fast and efficiently - how ? Post 22480 by auswipe on Tuesday 4th of June 2002 03:20:56 PM
Old 06-04-2002
About a decade ago I might have been able to help you.

Heck, I haven't even worked on a DoD project in nearly four years...

But just thinking about the problem, can you use a message queue to pass the data to a daemon to write the data at a (on the scale of the microprocessor) later time?

How important is the latency of the data being written?

Sending off a message would free the individual processes fairly quickly and if the writing daemon got behind, it wouldn't affect the individual processes. And because a single process daemon would be doing the writing, you wouldn't have to worry about locking contention.

Just some random thoughts on a lazy Tuesday afternoon.

Last edited by auswipe; 06-04-2002 at 04:26 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

how to use PING command efficiently

Do anyone telle me please how to use PING command to verify connection (TCP/IP) between serveurs. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoang
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Writing fast and efficiently - how ?

I have a lot of processes all of which need to write quite a lot of data to the filesystem ( to a single file). This is managed today in the following way : all the processes write the data to a shared memory block, which is manged by a process that empties it to a file, thus allowing more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seeker
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xapply efficiently?

Hi all, Were currently using xapply to run multiple ssh instances that then calls a script that returns the PID of a webserver process. Currently we have like 30 xapply statements in a script call checkit which checks various webserver processes on various unix/linux boxes. My question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdsffl
0 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to search files efficiently using patterns

hi friens, :) if i need to find files with extension .c++,.C++,.cpp,.Cpp,.CPp,.cPP,.CpP,.cpP,.c,.C wat is the pattern for finding them :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunsubbhian
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a string efficiently

I am new to the boards and to shell programming and have a requirement to name new files received with a unique sequence number. I need to look at a particular file pattern that exists and then to increment a sequence by 1 and write the new file. Example of file names and sequence # ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandiego_coder
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and delete lines efficiently

Hi I have a set of options in the form of key value in a file. Need to find a particular value of 'a' and delete all lines till the next 'a' keyword . Ex : a bbb c ddd e fff g hhh a sss c ggg e xxx f sss a ddd d sss r sss g hhh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TDUser
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Efficiently Repeat Text

Hi, Often when I use echo statements in scripts I echo a line of #'s above and below. For example: echo ##### echo hello world echo ##### However, I generally have a series of about 75 #'s. For example: echo #(x 75) echo hello world echo #(X 75) While this helps to delineate... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting remote variables more efficiently

Hello all, I have a script that has to get variables remotely. Rather than having the script login to the remote server 3 separate times, is there a faster way to get each variable? ##Server comes from input or list## CHKINSTALL=`ssh server "swlist | grep -i program" | grep -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purging 2000+ directories efficiently

Hi I have a requirement wherein i need to purge some directories. I have more than 2000 directories where i need to keep data for 10 days and delete the rest. What i am looking for is an efficient way to achieve this. There are four mount points from where i need to delete the files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apoorvbarwa
3 Replies
RANDOM(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 RANDOM(4)

NAME
random , urandom -- random data source devices. SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device random DESCRIPTION
The random device produces uniformly distributed random byte values of potentially high quality. To obtain random bytes, open /dev/random for reading and read from it. To add entropy to the random generation system, open /dev/random for writing and write data that you believe to be somehow random. /dev/urandom is a compatibility nod to Linux. On Linux, /dev/urandom will produce lower quality output if the entropy pool drains, while /dev/random will prefer to block and wait for additional entropy to be collected. With Yarrow, this choice and distinction is not necessary, and the two devices behave identically. You may use either. OPERATION
The random device implements the Yarrow pseudo random number generator algorithm and maintains its entropy pool. Additional entropy is fed to the generator regularly by the SecurityServer daemon from random jitter measurements of the kernel. SecurityServer is also responsible for periodically saving some entropy to disk and reloading it during startup to provide entropy in early system operation. You may feed additional entropy to the generator by writing it to the random device, though this is not required in a normal operating envi- ronment. LIMITATIONS AND WARNINGS
Yarrow is a fairly resilient algorithm, and is believed to be resistant to non-root. The quality of its output is however dependent on regu- lar addition of appropriate entropy. If the SecurityServer system daemon fails for any reason, output quality will suffer over time without any explicit indication from the random device itself. Paranoid programmers can counteract this risk somewhat by collecting entropy of their choice (e.g. from keystroke or mouse timings) and seed- ing it into random directly before obtaining important random numbers. FILES
/dev/random /dev/urandom HISTORY
A random device appeared in the Linux operating system. Darwin September 6, 2001 Darwin