Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: -c option in ping command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting -c option in ping command Post 22310 by Deepa on Friday 31st of May 2002 05:21:28 AM
Old 05-31-2002
-c option in ping command

What does '-c' mean in ping command? Is this option specific to bash shell?

Deepa

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About ping command

Hi! I have small problem. I want to ping a server and the result shouldn't be printed in the browser window, just become a value. Here you can see the script that I have: <? $command="ping linux.com -t ttl -c1 | tail -1 | awk '{print $4 \" \" $5}'"; $output = system($command);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Papa Deoo
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

About ping command

Hi! I have small problem. I want to ping a server and the result shouldn't be printed in the browser window, just become a value. Here you can see the script that I have: $command="ping linux.com -t ttl -c1 | tail -1 | awk '{print $4 \" \" $5}'"; $output = system($command); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Deoo
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

how to use PING command efficiently

Do anyone telle me please how to use PING command to verify connection (TCP/IP) between serveurs. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoang
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

option for ls command

i'm using SunOS 5.7 and I know theres a ls option for seeing what kind of files are in a directory. I was wondering if there was a ls option that could see if the files are txt or files that can be opened in vi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ping command

Hello Everybody: Im the root of the system, I need to grant some limited priviliges user an acess to the ping command so he can ping some IPs with his script. should I add the command to his path?? or what?? Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in PING and traceroute command

i cannot find a usefull ping and traceroute command from TCP to another TCP server with port. I usually do only traceroute IP and ping IP..is that enough? I wanted to check its connectivity to an IP address with port.. example: from ip 1.1.1.1 (TCP port 1234) destination 2.2.2.2 (TCP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

7. AIX

Problem with 'ping' command

Hi All, I'm testing ping command on two servers. A,B,C,D are servers From A-->B: ping -c 3 -p ff -s30720 <B IP-Addres> This works fine. From C-->D: ping -c 3 -p ff -s30720 <D IP-Addres> This is NOT working and 100% packe loss :( But if I use 8700 instead of 30720 for packet size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saraperu
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on ping command

Hi, I have a list of 500 IP address and need to ping all the IP address. I had written a script to do this and its working if the IP is valid one. If any invalid IP present, the process got hang up. Also I have tried with -c , -I and -w options, its not working. Any one help me on this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rksiva
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping script with email option

Hi I have already posted about this issue here and I got reply from some members. Now I need few modifications to be done. Can someone assist ? I need a script to be put in cron and this script should run everyday morning at 06:00 AM. I have a filed named "network_hosts" and the below are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Ping command.

Hi, I have a shell script, that has to run in putty for days together. So , I need to keep the network server connection alive and running. The execution of shell script shouldn't be interrupted as it produces undesirable results. Can anyone provide me with a script ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
3 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -f Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. If you want to use this feature in another context, be aware that openvt has to be a session leader in order for -e to work. See setsid(2) or setsid(1) on how to achieve this. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)