Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Logging
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Logging Post 22200 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 29th of May 2002 02:20:52 PM
Old 05-29-2002
Dear Aussie,

For logging, errors you can use this at the end of your tar command. " > tar.status.log 2> tar.error.log" this will capture all error messages

If you are writing to tape, You can also use the "tar -t /dev/rmt/0mn > filename "option to print out the table of the files on a tape. If you just want the names of what went to the tape after the backup completes. To compare to what should have been backed up. Also, you can create a file to use as a template for what should be backed up.

Your syntax may differ.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logging

I have a SCO R5 Open Server Box running at a remote location, and from time to time it seems to "spontaneously" re-boot itself. Is there a specific log file that I can examine to see why the machine is doing this ? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcs7088
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

logging

is there a log/ how do i make a log that logs every packet inbound or outbound through my server? I want every packet or packet fragment to be logged that comes to my server. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Fridgerator
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logging when someone changes to su

Is there a file that captures info whenever someone logs to su? i know it comes across as standard output on the server, but is it saved anywhere? Time and date info included?? thanks, kym (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Asking about logging in

Hi, just wriiten a sh script and as my script will try to log into another server to delete some files but when i run , it keeps on saying that my files do not exist. It seems to refer to my local directory instead. Below is my script : FTP_HOST=ip_number FTP_USER="user password" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blueberry80
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need more logging

Hi all! On our current Solaris 8 machine we only have "standard" logging configured, and now i need to put on more. What i specificly need is time in the logfiles. Ex. When a user is logging in, when a user makes it self SU. etc. Regards... dOzY (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dozy
3 Replies

6. Programming

Logging

Hi How to manage logging in an application. Actually I am developing a Client-Server application in c/c++ and want to manage an optional logging in my application, but since prior I have never done ths activity. Plz guide me. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
2 Replies

7. AIX

Logging off users

What is the best way to logoff users from my Unix system? I have done a search and found that you can do a w or who - find who is on, and ps-ef | grep <user> and kill their processes. But what if you have a bunch of users and you need them off the system quickly? Killing individual processes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: outtacontrol
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

logging into

Hi all Can anyone tell me how to login inot telnet,i heard that it is an interface between unix and windows,if i am wrong please correct me. Thanks in anticipation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
1 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Constant Logging In (After Logging Out)

Hi Everyone. First, I want to thank all of you for letting me participate in this great group. I am having a bit of a problem. After I get an email from a responder, I login to make my reply. In the mean time I get another response by email from another member, I go to reply to them and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
6 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)