Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: trace route command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trace route command Post 22073 by LivinFree on Tuesday 28th of May 2002 02:38:35 AM
Old 05-28-2002
It may very well be a network-design issue (ie firewalling, etc).

From the man page on traceroute:
Quote:
This program attempts to trace the route an IP packet would follow to
some internet host by launching UDP probe packets with a small ttl (time
to live) then listening for an ICMP "time exceeded" reply from a gateway.
We start our probes with a ttl of one and increase by one until we get an
ICMP "port unreachable" (which means we got to "host") or hit a max
(which defaults to 30 hops & can be changed with the -m flag).
Therefore, if your net admin restricts UDP in any direction, or ICMP in any direction, you may very well be impacted by this...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can a "route add" command crash a router? well it does...need help

OK Sun E420R server Solaris 7 Command: route add default ###.###.###.### 15 Seconds later my router is rebooting and will continue this until I flush the route table on the server Any ideas?! Help!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

route table command

Im very new to unix.. I want to view the route table whats the command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhale123
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

trace route ip

hi everybody , i have a solaris 5.6 box and i want to trace the route on an ip i treid traceroute but soalris 5.6 does not support it ... is there a command that can be used equivelent to traceroute ? thanks for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use route command on SuSE & Cygwin

If I'm at a wireless cafe running SuSE and I want to read my mail but the wireless cafe blocks port 25 for smtp but I have a VPN connection to my home machine, how do I use the "route" command. If I'm at home on my windows machine and have a VPN connection to another network, can I use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

need help on route command (adding)

Hi, I was window OS user and kinda switched to darwin-bash/Mac OS recently, just asking for some help for setting up routes. When i was using in window XP i can do "route print" and "route add 64.25.55.200 mask 255.255.255.255 188.17.145.178" ,and then when i access 64.25.55.200, it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ko9ko9ko9
2 Replies

6. AIX

Which command can trace what I have done on aix?

I remember there is a command can trace what I have done on aix. such as when I run smitty user to add a new user, run any command on aix, install some application software on aix, just like trace every step and every screen out to a file. I forget what command is, does anyone know it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to route multiple IP addresses with IPTABLE command?

Hi, We have a router and devices for testing. We route devices with below command iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 0/0 --dport 80 -s 10.111.111.22 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.13.0.16:3128 where 10.111.111.22 is device IP. and 10.13.0.16 is our Linux box machine. Likewise we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruvak
4 Replies

8. AIX

problem with command 'route -q' in AIX 5.3

Hi all! I have a problem.I access to AIX server via SSH,then i use command 'route -q', after that i can't connect to AIX server.Please help me to fix this problem. Thanks & Best Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bachtq
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Command to trace System Calls on HP UX

All, Kindly let me know command which is used to trace the system calls on HP - UX server when an executable is run. On Solaris we have TRUSS which does the need. On HP UX we have TUSC command which is a third party software. Currently this is not installed on my HP Server. If there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: helper
3 Replies

10. IP Networking

Trace route to a perticular port

How can I trace a route from one server to a certain port on another server? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sewood
3 Replies
TRACEROUTE6(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    TRACEROUTE6(8)

NAME
traceroute6 -- print the route IPv6 packets will take to a network node SYNOPSIS
traceroute6 [-dIlnNrvU] [-f firsthop] [-g gateway] [-m hoplimit] [-p port] [-q probes] [-s src] [-w waittime] target [datalen] DESCRIPTION
The traceroute6 utility uses the IPv6 protocol hop limit field to elicit an ICMPv6 TIME_EXCEEDED response from each gateway along the path to some host. The only mandatory parameter is the destination host name or IPv6 address. The default probe datagram carries 12 bytes of payload, in addi- tion to the IPv6 header. The size of the payload can be specified by giving a length (in bytes) after the destination host name. Other options are: -d Debug mode. -f firsthop Specify how many hops to skip in trace. -g gateway Specify intermediate gateway (traceroute6 uses routing header). -I Use ICMP6 ECHO instead of UDP datagrams. -l Print both host hostnames and numeric addresses. Normally traceroute6 prints only hostnames if -n is not specified, and only numeric addresses if -n is specified. -m hoplimit Specify maximum hoplimit, up to 255. The default is 30 hops. -n Do not resolve numeric address to hostname. -N Use a packet with no upper layer header for the probes, instead of UDP datagrams. -p port Set UDP port number to port. -q probes Set the number of probe per hop count to probes. -r Bypass the normal routing tables and send directly to a host on an attached network. If the host is not on a directly-connected net- work, an error is returned. This option corresponds to the SO_DONTROUTE socket option; it can be used to ping a local host through an interface that has no route through it (e.g., after the interface was dropped by a routing daemon). -s src Src specifies the source IPv6 address to be used. -U Use UDP datagrams for the probes. This is the default. -v Be verbose. -w waittime Specify the delay time between probes. This program prints the route to the given destination and the round-trip time to each gateway, in the same manner as traceroute. Here is a list of possible annotations after the round-trip time for each gateway: !N Destination Unreachable - No Route to Host. !P Destination Unreachable - Administratively Prohibited. !S Destination Unreachable - Not a Neighbour. !A Destination Unreachable - Address Unreachable. ! This is printed if the hop limit is <= 1 on a port unreachable message. This means that the packet got to the destination, but that the reply had a hop limit that was just large enough to allow it to get back to the source of the traceroute6. This was more interesting in the IPv4 case, where some IP stack bugs could be identified by this behaviour. RETURN VALUES
The traceroute6 utility will exit with 0 on success, and non-zero on errors. SEE ALSO
ping(8), ping6(8), traceroute(8) HISTORY
The traceroute6 utility first appeared in WIDE hydrangea IPv6 protocol stack kit. BSD
May 17, 1998 BSD