Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installation problems!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installation problems! Post 21995 by luiz_fer10 on Saturday 25th of May 2002 08:22:13 PM
Old 05-25-2002
Hello Creative,

Forget about using fips to create your partitions, because its only work in FAT and DOS type partition and WindowsXP uses NTFS system.

Now, I think you really have a media problem. Then I suggest you to install Mandrake Linux, because it's very friendly to install, and comes with DiskDrake, a very usefull disk partitioner. Mandrake it's RH based but it's easier to install. The DiskDrake shows all the partitions of your system and allows yous to remove/resize all the partitions. You only need to partitionate your disk in the installation. Then, you insert the Mandrake disk in your drive and start the installation. When the time of partition comes, you see all the partitions and its type, in your case, NTFS (WindowsXP). Then you resize (reduce) the Windows partition and create a new partition in the new space allocated. Don't forget to create 2 partitions, one for the SWAP and another to "/". The SWAP must have some Megabytes, 256 at maximum. You create the SWAP first and the rest of the space free you fill with the "/" partition.

There is a very helpful DiskDrake HowTo

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/ipartit.html

Any problems, here we are!!!
See ya!

----------
2. What FIPS does

FIPS reduces the size of a partition by changing some values in the partition table and boot sector. It does not change the formatting of the partition, especially not the cluster size and the size of the file allocation table (FAT). Therefore the reduced partition will have a FAT that is in part unused, but this is not a problem for DOS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kylix Installation (File problems)

Hi, I have been trying to install Borland Kylix 3 (the free one I downloaded off the internet) on my Mandrake 9.0 computer. I have run ./testsystem and it said I was ok. BUT when I run ./borpretest it says it can't find 'lib-a.so'. I find this wierd since the file is in the same directory as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
2 Replies

2. SCO

SCO 5.0.7 Installation Problems

Happy new year guys. I have a inspiron 5100 laptop "Dell" When i'm trying to install SCO openserver 5.0.7 i get this error right after it goes thru the hardware bootup stage. The error is (PANIC: wdsetparam: no device info for ctlr 1 drive 0 is ctlr 0 , drive 0 not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Patch Installation Problems

Hi people: I am having trouble installing some HPUX patches on my 11.00. I am a novice :confused: at this so bear with me. I do not understand how to install depots. Now I'm trying to patch my system so I can get the Oracle client installed. Oracle says I need these two patches:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAFA
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with GNU tar installation

Hi all, Need some help here. I've been trying to install GNU tar version 1.12 into my Solaris 9 machine. steps that I have done was: -untar the package file -run "./configure" -run "make" command (got stuck at this point) Got the following error messages after hitting the make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suffer0
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GTK installation problems

This is what happened when I installed my gtkglarea-1.2.3 My GTK+ installation was successful. I installed on a non-standard location having set all my variables for package config,library and executables checking for GTK - version >= 0.99.7... ./configure: line 12482:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: preyan
0 Replies

6. BSD

FreeBSD Installation problems

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Unix/Linux (though not to computing in general) and I'm having a few issues installing FreeBSD (v6.2). Firstly, I realise that it's not the most user-friendly of distros, especially for newbies, but it's what I'm required to install so unfortunately I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Techmonkey
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Help me to solve problems of installation

Hi everyone, I have just installed Linux redhat 9.0, Unfortunately i met a error, it annonced as following when i pressed ENTER at the first step on installation and then i stoped: PCI: 00:13.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (64 bytes) by BIOS/FW PCI: 00:13.2 cache line size too... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertPh
3 Replies

8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

problems with Installation of virtual box

I am Trying to install Oracle virtual box.But it is giving me some error message.Unable to resolve dependencies for some packages selected for installation.Missing dependencies libSDL-1.2.so.0 is needed by pacakage virtual box 4.1 I am using RHEL5 Help out with this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saisrinivas99
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

SWAT Installation problems

Hi, I have been trying to install SWAT on redhat 6 for samba4. The samba server was installed by another administrator but not swat. Please find output of yum install samba-swat in the attached file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: p2bas
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Problems with Ubuntu installation

I recently bought a new HP Spectre x360 laptop and installed Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit) for the first time. I am seeing various bugs. I don't know if the problems are due to: (a) Hardware problems with the new laptop. (b) Software issues, i.e. Ubuntu not working with the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
1 Replies
chpt(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   chpt(8)

Name
       chpt - change a disk partition table

Syntax
       /etc/chpt [ -a ] [ -d ] [ -q ] [ -v ] [ [ -px offset size ] ... ] device

Description
       The  command  lets  you alter the partition sizes of a disk pack.  Using you can tailor your system disks and their partitions to suit your
       system's individual needs.

If you want to create a file system on a partition that has been modified, you must use

The standard procedure to change a partition table is:

1. Look at the current partition table using the -q option.

2. If a file system does not exist on the a partition, create one using the command.

If a file system exists on the a partition but does not contain a partition table in its superblock, copy the partition table  from  the
	  driver to the superblock using the command with the -a option.

3. Change the partition offsets and sizes using the -px option.	You can change all the partitions for one pack on one command line.

The  device  must be either the a or c partition of the raw device, depending upon where the file system resides.  For example, if the file
       system resides in the a partition of an RM05 in drive 0, device is rhp0a.

A file system must exist on the a or c partition of the pack.  If you do not have a file system there, create one using

Options
       -a    Copies the partition table in the device driver to the disk pack.

-d    Copies the default partition table to the disk pack and to the current partition table in the driver.  The default partition table is
	     the table that was built with the disk driver.

-q    Runs without modifying the partition tables.  This prints the partition table of the specified disk pack.	It prints the default par-
	     tition table in the driver if there is no partition table on the disk pack.

-v    Prints verbose messages showing the progress of

-px   Changes the parameters of partition x on the disk pack to the specified offset and size.  x is the partition you are modifying (a, b,
	     c,  d,  e, f, g, or h).  Offset is the new beginning sector, and size is the new total number of sectors of the partition being modi-
	     fied.

Examples
       This example shows how to change the partition table on an RM05 disk pack in drive 1.  The commands in this example change the the size	of
       the h partition to include the g partition.  Comments are in parenthesis to the right of commands.
       % chpt -q /dev/rhp1a	(view partition table)
       /dev/rhp1a
       No partition table found in superblock...
       using default table from device driver.
       Current partition table:
       partition       bottom	    top      size    overlap
	   a		    0	  15883     15884    c
	   b		16416	  49855     33440    c
	   c		    0	 500383    500384    a,b,d,e,f,g,h
	   d	       341696	 357579     15884    c,g
	   e	       358112	 414047     55936    c,g
	   f	       414048	 500287     86240    c,g
	   g	       341696	 500287    158592    c,d,e,f
	   h		49856	 341201    291346    c
       %
       In  all	of  the tables generated by bottom is the offset (starting sector), top is the ending sector, and size is the number of sectors in
       the partition.  The overlap is the other sectors that are partially or entirely included in the partition.
       % bc		   (basic calculator)
       500287-49856	   (top of g minus bottom of h)
       450431+1 	   (add 1 because it is zero-based)
       450432		   (size of new h partition)
       %

From the query, you can see that there is no partition table in the superblock of the a partition.  If this is because  there  is  no  file
       system in the a partition, run the command to create one.

For this example, assume that there is a file system in the a partition of the disk, but the file system does not contain a partition table
       in its superblock.  Therefore, run with the -a option to copy the partition table in the driver to the superblock of the a partition.
       % chpt -a /dev/rhp1a	(add table to a partition)
       %

Now you have a partition table to change.
       % chpt -v -ph 49856 450432 /dev/rhp1a   (change h)
       /dev/rhp1a
       New partition table:
       partition       bottom  top     size    overlap
	   a		    0	15883	15884  c
	   b		16416	49855	33440  c
	   c		    0  500383  500384  a,b,d,e,f,g,h
	   d	       341696  357579	15884  c,g,h
	   e	       358112  414047	55936  c,g,h
	   f	       414048  500287	86240  c,g,h
	   g	       341696  500287  158592  c,d,e,f,h
	   h		49856  500287  450432  c,d,e,f,g
       %

Caution
       Changing partition tables indiscriminately can result in losing large amounts of data.

Check for file systems on all the partitions of the disk before using the -p option.  If a  file  system  exists  whose	partition  may	be
       destroyed, copy it to a backup medium.  After you have changed the partitions, restore the backed up file system.

Restrictions
       You must have superuser privileges to use

You  can not shrink or change the offset of a partition with a file system mounted on it or with an open file descriptor on the entire par-
       tition.

You can not change the offset of the a partition.

See Also
       ioctl(2), disktab(5), fsck(8), mkfs(8), newfs(8)
       Guide to System Disk Maintenance

chpt(8)