Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Inetd and security
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inetd and security Post 21931 by ftn96 on Friday 24th of May 2002 11:12:09 AM
Old 05-24-2002
Quote:
If you're going to run a firewall, the ideal situation (assuming that this box can be dedicated to only that) would be to turn off everything. Allow console access only, no remote services, just IP forwarding.
We are waiting on a new Compaq server to be made and delivered which is gonna leave me with the Proliant 3000 with dual PII 400's, 384 RAM, 3 9GB hd's > With "ONE" purpose!!! Be the Bouncer!!!

I also have the previous server. An old P1, junker. Would this be a good candidate for a mail gate/server to filter/scan all incoming E-mails????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux file corresponding to HP-UX inetd.conf

Hi!!, I have been working on a HP UX box all these days.. For adding a user defined service, I used to put an entry for this service corresponing to a port number in /etc/services. These services were then defined in inetd.conf. Now I have moved to Mandrake linux. I can find a file named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

inetd process

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All , I have a client an server among which i want to make the server an inetd process. I have enries in etc/services and etc/inetd.conf The enries looks like below etc/services servername 5551/tcp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

VNC using inetd on HPUX

To anyone who can help. I am trying to get VNC running using the inetd capability and I am having problems. I have VNC running fine when I manually log into the server through FTP or SSH and start it and then start the viewer on my PC. I have tried a few things I have found on different... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkdeviant
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

inetd.conf in linux

I need to put the following line in inetd.conf: stats stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/mrtgsysinfo mrtgsysinfo but my version of linux don't seem to allow that, ie there is no inetd.conf. How do i set that up in linux (red hat enterprise 3). (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
15 Replies

6. IP Networking

Error inetd

Hi , I need help, today I restarted the server, when the machine was up, it had been to writte in the file osmlog that : "inetd: talk/udp: bind: Address already in use" This message appears in ten minutes every time. Why ? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot edit inetd.conf???

I'm trying to edit the inetd.conf but for some reason when I vi into it, it says "Read Only" even though I am root and the perms are 777?!? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

too many inetd running

hi, is it ok for more than one inetd daemon running at a time? if not okay, possible to kill the rest and make only one daemon running? i understand that inetd is a process that enables tcp connections from external sources...kindly advise more on inetd...thanks alot..Happy New Year!:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Inetd problem

Hi All, When i am trying to restart the inetd daemon it throughing error. Please find the message and tell me what i need to do ? Apr 7 22:57:37 HYDOHS01 inetd: ISTATE not in environment Apr 7 22:57:41 HYDOHS01 inetd: stop: No such file or directory Apr 7 22:58:01 HYDOHS01 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Inetd not running on zone

inet not running on the zone , below is the error we see on svc log Importing 100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml ...Done inetconv: Error reading from repository inetconv: Notice: Service manifest for 100235/1 already generated as /var/svc/manifest/network/rpc/100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml, skipped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies
ccr(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    ccr(8)

Name
       ccr - remote console carrier requester

Syntax
       ccr [ options ] node

Description
       The  command  establishes  a logical connection between your ULTRIX system and the console carrier server on a remote system.  enables your
       terminal to act as the console for a remote unattended system.  For example, your terminal can act as the console for  a  Digital  Ethernet
       Communications Server (DECSA) and its resident software.  The node is the name or address of the target node.  A node name consists of from
       one to six alphanumeric characters.  A node address consist of two decimal integers (n.n), where the first  indicates  the  network  number
       (1-63), and the second indicates the node address (1-1023).

You  can  use  to  force  a  crash if a server node becomes unresponsive.  To determine how to force a crash, see the documentation for the
       respective server product.

The requirements for using are as follows:

o   The host node (that is, your local ULTRIX node) and the remote node must be on the same Ethernet.

o   If your server product is a DECSA, the console carrier server image (plutocc.sys) and its loader file (plutowl.sys) must be located	in
	   on  your  ULTRIX node. The pluocc.sys and plutowl.sys files are not need, nor is any loading done for other servers.  For more details,
	   see the installation guide for the particular server product.

<CTRL/D> exits from console carrier mode and terminates

Options
       -c   Uses the specified circuit to connect to the target node.

-h   Uses the specified address (next argument) as the Ethernet address of the target node.

-n   Uses the next argument as the target node ID.

-p   Uses the specified service password (next arguments) in accessing the target node.

Examples
       # /etc/ccr -c qna-0 -n dallas <RET>
       ccr: Remote console reserved
       <CTRL/D>
       ccr: Remote console released
       #

Restrictions
       You must have superuser privileges to run

Diagnostics
       The command can return the following diagnostic messages:

ccr: Remote console reserved
       The command has successfully connected to the remote console server and your terminal is now capable of acting as a console for the  remote
       node.

ccr: Remote console released
       Your connection with the remote console server has been terminated and you are no longer in console carrier mode.

ccr: Remote console already in use
       The remote console server that you are attempting to connect to is already reserved by another user.

ccr: Permission denied
       You do not have the necessary privileges to run (You must be a superuser.)

ccr: Hardware address required
       The  command  is unable to locate the hardware address of the remote node to which you are attempting to connect.  A remote node's hardware
       address must be defined either in the command line, or in its nodes database entry.  (Nodes database entries are defined with the command.)

ccr: No node entry in database
       The command does not recognize the remote node to which you are attempting to connect, since the node-id that you specified is not  defined
       in the nodes database.  (Nodes database entries are defined with the command.)

Files
       Console carrier server image

Console carrier server loader

See Also
       addnode(8), getnode(8), load(8), remnode(8), trigger(8)
       Guide to Local Transport Servers

ccr(8)