Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix terminal protocol
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix terminal protocol Post 21908 by microdigi on Friday 24th of May 2002 07:08:08 AM
Old 05-24-2002
i was one of the ncr's terminal creators-
what type of terminal do you intent to use?
4920? 4942? 7xx?
ncr has a propriatary emulation.

i would strongly suggest that you stick with some one elses terminal type, p.e. dec vt220 - 320.

make use of the termcap / terminfo tables.

Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

UNIX and SNA protocol

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if a server has a SNA connection to a mainframe ? I need to find out at my work which servers use SNA by telnetting to that server and search for it, I just don't know what and where to look for... Any help appreciated ! Ron (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronw
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

http protocol from UNIX

Is there any way to access http page from UNIX command line.... eg: http://www.abc.xyz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GPRS Tunnelling Protocol implementation under UNIX

I need to implement a program that sends CDRs (just some data) over GTP' (GTP Prime - one of the GPRS Tunnelling Protocols, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS_Tunnelling_Protocol). Does anybody know where I can find GTP implementation? I'v tryed OpenGGSN (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ggsn/), but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
4 Replies

5. SCO

How to stop A UDP protocol on Unix

Dear All, Kindly guide how to stop UDP protocol on Sco Unix release 5.0 Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

boot a unix terminal

I issued a halt command to a remote unix terminal and it shut down with root user through putty. Is there a way to start it back on? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mevoid
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Unix terminal in windows

Hi, How to get unix look and feel in windows environment where i can execute basic commands like date and complex usage like awk, sed etc and not much storage space is needed. Is there any software that i can install to use the same? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What kind of transfer protocol we have in UNIX?

I was asked this question on the interview. I know ftp, sftp, scp, rcp. They said one more indi or indy Could you please let me know it? Thanks, Oleg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
telnetd(8c)															       telnetd(8c)

Name
       telnetd - DARPA TELNET protocol server

Syntax
       /etc/telnetd

Description
       The  server  supports the DARPA standard TELNET virtual terminal protocol.  The TELNET server is invoked when receives a connection request
       on the port indicated in the TELNET service description.

The server operates by allocating a pseudo-terminal device for a client, then creating a login process which has  the  slave  side  of  the
       pseudo-terminal	as stdin, stdout, and stderr.  The server manipulates the master side of the pseudo terminal, implementing the TELNET pro-
       tocol and passing characters between the client and login process.

When a TELNET session is started up, sends a TELNET option to the client side indicating a willingness to do remote echo of characters,	to
       suppress  go  ahead, and to receive terminal type information from the remote client.  If the remote client is willing, the remote terminal
       type is propagated in the environment of the created login process.  The pseudo terminal allocated to the client is configured  to  operate
       in cooked mode and with XTABS and CRMOD enabled.

Aside  from  this  initial  setup, the only mode changes will carry out are those required for echoing characters at the client side of the
       connection.

The server supports binary mode, suppress go ahead, echo, and timing mark.  It also allows a remote client to do binary, terminal type, and
       suppress go ahead.

Restrictions
       Some TELNET commands are only partially implemented.

The TELNET protocol allows the exchange of the number of lines and columns on the user's terminal, but does not make use of them.

The terminal type name received from the remote client is converted to lower case.

The server never sends TELNET go ahead commands.

See Also
       telnet(1c), pty(4), tty(4), services(5), inetd(8c)

telnetd(8c)