Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Inetd and security
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inetd and security Post 21876 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 23rd of May 2002 07:40:27 PM
Old 05-23-2002
Look in your /etc/services for that info.

There is a daemon called NTPD that is a network time protocol. That goes out and gets time from certain stratum level based on a Nuclear clock that the Naval Observatory has.

That is probably not what you need. or have. Do a ps -eaf |grep ntpd. or " type ntpd" to see if it is loaded on your box.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux file corresponding to HP-UX inetd.conf

Hi!!, I have been working on a HP UX box all these days.. For adding a user defined service, I used to put an entry for this service corresponing to a port number in /etc/services. These services were then defined in inetd.conf. Now I have moved to Mandrake linux. I can find a file named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

inetd process

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All , I have a client an server among which i want to make the server an inetd process. I have enries in etc/services and etc/inetd.conf The enries looks like below etc/services servername 5551/tcp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

VNC using inetd on HPUX

To anyone who can help. I am trying to get VNC running using the inetd capability and I am having problems. I have VNC running fine when I manually log into the server through FTP or SSH and start it and then start the viewer on my PC. I have tried a few things I have found on different... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: punkdeviant
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

inetd.conf in linux

I need to put the following line in inetd.conf: stats stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/bin/mrtgsysinfo mrtgsysinfo but my version of linux don't seem to allow that, ie there is no inetd.conf. How do i set that up in linux (red hat enterprise 3). (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
15 Replies

6. IP Networking

Error inetd

Hi , I need help, today I restarted the server, when the machine was up, it had been to writte in the file osmlog that : "inetd: talk/udp: bind: Address already in use" This message appears in ten minutes every time. Why ? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot edit inetd.conf???

I'm trying to edit the inetd.conf but for some reason when I vi into it, it says "Read Only" even though I am root and the perms are 777?!? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

too many inetd running

hi, is it ok for more than one inetd daemon running at a time? if not okay, possible to kill the rest and make only one daemon running? i understand that inetd is a process that enables tcp connections from external sources...kindly advise more on inetd...thanks alot..Happy New Year!:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Inetd problem

Hi All, When i am trying to restart the inetd daemon it throughing error. Please find the message and tell me what i need to do ? Apr 7 22:57:37 HYDOHS01 inetd: ISTATE not in environment Apr 7 22:57:41 HYDOHS01 inetd: stop: No such file or directory Apr 7 22:58:01 HYDOHS01 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Inetd not running on zone

inet not running on the zone , below is the error we see on svc log Importing 100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml ...Done inetconv: Error reading from repository inetconv: Notice: Service manifest for 100235/1 already generated as /var/svc/manifest/network/rpc/100235_1-rpc_ticotsord.xml, skipped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies
Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)

NAME
Linux::Distribution::Packages - list all packages on various Linux distributions SYNOPSIS
use Linux::Distribution::Packages qw(distribution_packages distribution_write); $linux = new Linux::Distribution::Packages({'format' => 'csv', 'output_file' => 'packages.csv'}); $linux->distribution_write(); # Or you can (re)set the options when you write. $linux->distribution_write({'format' => 'xml', 'output_file' => 'packages.xml'}); # If you want to reload the package data $linux->distribution_packages(); DESCRIPTION
This is a simple module that uses Linux::Distribution to guess the linux distribution and then uses the correct commands to list all the packages on the system and then output them in one of three formats: native, csv, and xml. Distributions currently working: debian, ubuntu, fedora, redhat, suse, gentoo, slackware, redflag. The module inherits from Linux::Distribution, so can also use its calls. EXPORT None by default. TODO
* Add the capability to correctly get packages for all recognized distributions. * Seperate out parsing from writing. Parse data to hash and give access to hash. Then write the formatted data from the hash. AUTHORS
Judith Lebzelter, <judith@osdl.org> Alberto Re, <alberto@accidia.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.5 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.10.1 2006-04-19 Linux::Distribution::Packages(3pm)