Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hash (#) as a variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hash (#) as a variable Post 21658 by LivinFree on Tuesday 21st of May 2002 03:03:40 AM
Old 05-21-2002
Quote:
The first thing that worried me is this sort of thing:
x=date
$x
I use a similar type of substitution in a monitoring script:
Code:
[...]
lynx="/opt/lynx/bin/lynx"
site="www.company.com"

${lynx} -dump ${site} >/dev/null 2>&1
case $? in
[...]

It makes it easier for me to change, and makes the commands themselves easier to read for me...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create md5 Hash variable?

I have a script that runs the grub-md5-crypt command based on whether the pass_value variable is a non-zero string. The md5 hash is being created in the /opt/hostconfigs/$HOST file, but I can't echo $md5_value. It is blank. Is there a way to create and echo a md5 hash variable? if then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Pattern Matching a HASH variable

Hi All, I'm trying to test a Hash variable but it's not working. Here is my code - can anyone tell me if the test is valid? for (keys %enabled_yn) { if ($enabled_yn{$1} =~ m/\s+Y/) { $html =~ s/%(\w+)%/\<b\>\<font color\=orange\>$enabled_yn{$1}\<\/font\>\<\/b\>/g; }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pondlife
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to save output of a command in hash variable

Hi all, is it possible to save the output of a unix command executed in perl to be saved in hash variable.. like i have the command `find $mypath ! -user mainuser -printf \"\%u \%h\\n\"`; this will print all the users other than mainuser with their paths. so is possible to capture... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saapa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing Hash variable in to sql query in perl

Hi Everyone, Can anyone help me how do i call hash variable in to sql query in perl. Please see the script below i have defined two Hash %lc and %tab as below $lc{'REFF'}='V_RES_CLASS'; $lc{'CALE'}='V_CAP_CLASS'; $lc{'XRPD'}='V_XFMR_CLASS'; $tab{'V_RES_CLASS'}='V_MFR_SERS';... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable with hash character

Hi Experts, I need to have a variable with value initialised to it.The value will possess a hash character with it. ex: var=reports#2 so how I am suppose to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cnraja
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: accessing reference to variable inside hash.

Below is hash which contains reference to variables: my %mandatoryFields = ( 1 => \$msgtype, 2 => \$switchtype, 3 => \$card_nbr, 4 => \$natv_tran_type_code, 5 => \$amt_1 ); This... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Perl can i define a hash with value as variable?

Hi, Is it possible in perl to have a hash defined with variables as theirs key values, like: %account = ('username' => 'boy', 'password' => $password); Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate a hash variable into 2 parts in Perl

Dear Perl users/experts, Could somebody help me how to solve my problem, I have a hash variable that I want to convert into dot file (graphviz). I know how to convert it to dot file but I need some modification on the output of the hash variable before convert it to dot file. Eeach key of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: askari
1 Replies
hman(1)                                                       General Commands Manual                                                      hman(1)

NAME
hman - browse the on-line manual pages SYNOPSIS
hman [ -P browser ] [ -H host ] [ section ] name hman [ -P browser ] [ -H host ] [ section ] [ index ] DESCRIPTION
The hman script is an interface to man2html(1) that allows you to enter man page requests at the command line and view the output in your favourite browser. The behaviour reminds of that of man(1) so that many people will be able to alias hman to man. If the browser used is netscape, and an incarnation of netscape is running already, hman will pass the request to the existing browser. OPTIONS
-P browser Specify which browser (like lynx, xmosaic, arena, chimera, netscape, amaya, ...) to use. This option overrides the MANHTMLPAGER environment variable. The default is the non-httpd version of lynx, or sensible-browser if lynx cannot be found. -H host Specify from what host to get the man pages. This option overrides the MANHTMLHOST environment variable. The default is localhost. ENVIRONMENT
MANHTMLPAGER The default browser to use is selected using this environment variable. MANHTMLHOST The default host to use is selected using this environment variable. SEE ALSO
man(1), man2html(1), arena(1), lynx(1), sensible-browser(1), netscape(1), xmosaic(1), glimpse(1) http://www.mcom.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html 19 January 1998 hman(1)