Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ports and services
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ports and services Post 21633 by thehoghunter on Monday 20th of May 2002 05:20:26 PM
Old 05-20-2002
You can also use SUNLite - a 'firewall' product that gives you a GUI interface to turn off services along with logging. It is free with the Solaris 8 edition.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inet services, open ports etc

When I scan my linux box for open ports, i have several of them, but they shouldn't be open. I removed the lines for them in /etc/services, and left just stuff like telnet, ssh, ftp. Why are they still open? I've restarted the network, and I've even restarted my box, but they still apear as open.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sTorm
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

ports???

Ok, I've been working in the IT field for about 3 years now and I never fully understood the concept of ip ports. I just started a new job that uses Solaris and today it kinda clicked in my head and I want to know if I'm right or wrong. Does each ip address have multiple ports. because we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Ports

What are some good sites that list all TPC/UDP ports? ~thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ireeneek
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ports...

Hello UNIX people... This is my first foray into the UNIX world so go easy on me... I have a client who has hired me to do some work on his windows stuff, BUT it just so happens his UNIX server started giving him problems... He is running SCO Open Server 5.0.6 The TTY ports won't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechKnow
5 Replies

5. Solaris

ports

Hi, If for example i try to start tomcat in a solaris server and get errors related to address already in use, how can I know if this port is really used for another process? If someone can point any documentation it will be very helpfull. Thanks! :rolleyes: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffpradella
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ports

When the netstat -an command is run on current unix machine, it seems that there's an excessive amount of ports established (roughly 600). How can I tell what each of these ports are being used for? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastchance551
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open ports and services

just a quick question: a. whats the simplest command to check open port and the corresponding services? example: bash-2.05# netstat -an | grep LISTEN *.199 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN *.8989 *.* 0 0 49152 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies

10. Linux

Ip_local_reserved_ports - How do i verify that kernel does not allow these ports to others services

Hi Team, I am using RHEL 7.3. I had added few port numbers in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_reserved_ports. Now how do I verify that kernel does not allow to a service which requests random ports for its services. Thanks in Advance Hariharan Gopal (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariharan.gopal
0 Replies
SERVICES_MKDB(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  SERVICES_MKDB(8)

NAME
services_mkdb -- generate the services database SYNOPSIS
services_mkdb [-b | -l] [-q] [-o database] [file] services_mkdb -u [file] DESCRIPTION
The services_mkdb utility creates a db(3) database for the specified file. If no file is specified, then /etc/services is used. The data- base is installed into /var/db/services.db. The file must be in the correct format (see services(5)). The options are as follows: -b Use big-endian byte order for database metadata. -l Use little-endian byte order for database metadata. -o database Put the output databases in the named file. -q Do not warn about duplicate services. -u Print the services file to stdout, omitting duplicate entries and comments. The databases are used by the C library services routines (see The -b and -l flags are mutually exclusive. The default byte ordering is the current host order. getservent(3)). FILES
/var/db/services.db The current services database. /var/db/services.db.tmp A temporary file. /etc/services The current services file. EXIT STATUS
The services_mkdb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
db(3), getservent(3), services(5) BUGS
Because services_mkdb guarantees not to install a partial destination file it must build a temporary file in the same file system and if suc- cessful use rename(2) to install over the destination file. If services_mkdb fails it will leave the previous version of the destination file intact. BSD
April 4, 2010 BSD