Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foreach command ?!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers foreach command ?! Post 21610 by Bab00shka on Monday 20th of May 2002 09:01:11 AM
Old 05-20-2002
Hi Abdulkarim

I see, I'm using HP-UX 11.00 with a Korn Shell. I'm not sure how Sun 5.6 differs. What shell are you using?

I must admit I have not heard of the 'foreach' statement. Are you doing a shell script or using a programming language?

'fi' is the end of the 'if' statement. If statement syntax is as follows:

if <test>
then
<list of commants>
fi

I have redirected output to /dev/null because I don't want the result of the echo statement to appear on the screen. I just want to know the return value of the statement. If you don't already know, anything that goes to /dev/null 'disappears'. Its a bit like a waste bin.

Cheers
Helen

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two variable in foreach command??

Hello, I just want to know how If it's possiple to define 2 variable using foreach command ??? I have directory inside that directory around 1000 file, I want to rename all of this files to something I have it in a list. Example :- ------This is what in my directory---------- d1 d2... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach/grep help!

#!/bin/bash foreach x (67402996 67402998) { grep -a x FINAL2006.dat >> MISSING_RECORDS.dat } I'm trying to pass a list to the variable x, and then grep for that string in FINAL2006.dat... Final2006.dat is in the same folder as my .sh file. I call this with a .cmd file... At any rate,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimWork
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop

What am I doing wrong with this foreach loop? foreach var ($argv) @sum = $sum + $var (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haze21
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi Guys, I have a loop which uses a wildcard i.e. foreach f (*) but when I execute the tcsh file in unix then it gives me an error ->>>>>>>foreach: words not parenthesized<<<<<<<<<<- Any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abch624
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach question

OK, so I am extremely rusty and am just getting back to Unix after 9 years. I'm stuck on something easy. I want to search line-by-line for a string in a file, and I want to do this to a series of files in a directory. This works fine to do the search: while read i; do grep $i file2; done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning foreach

im newbie at shell scripting. why do the following code #!/bin/tcsh setenv CBC ~/cbc/models/ foreach mix (p00p00 p02p00 p02p04) echo $mix cp $CBC/*$mix*Gyr*fits $mix/ end print(copy) only the first mix? % ./copyfromcbc.sh p00p00 wasn't it supposed to run through all words... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prtc
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach in csh

I have a foreach loop in a csh script and I noticed that it tries to find the files with the pattern *$searchpt* in the file name. I'm confused as I never specified checking for the files. foreach f ( *$searchpt* ) set fnew = `echo $f | awk -v searchpat=$searchpt \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using foreach with two lists

Hi everybody, I'm trying to use a foreach command with two lists. The file.txt looks like this: var1: 100 200 300 var2: 3 6 9 I'm trying to use a foreach command to associate the two variables together. My script looks like this: #! /bin/tcsh set a=(`cat file.txt | grep 'var1' | cut -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SimonWhite
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get following result using foreach command?

Dear all, For example, if data contains following numbers:1 2 3 4 5 6 I would like get like below using foreach command,1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 2 3 2 4 2 5 2 6 3 4 3 5 3 6 4 5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ryan Kim
1 Replies
atscc(1)						      General Commands Manual							  atscc(1)

NAME
atscc - ATS compiler frontend SYNOPSIS
atscc [options] files... DESCRIPTION
atscc is a frontend to the atsopt Anairiats compiler for the ATS language. OPTIONS
atscc has a command-line option syntax in the style of gcc and accepts all the same options, many of them being passed directly to the gcc backend. Here are summarized the non-gcc options. -cc, --compile Only compile the given ATS source files into C files. -D_ATS_GCATS Enable the garbage collector in the generated executable. -IATS <path> Add a path to search for ATS files when doing static and dynamic loads. -tc, --typecheck Typecheck the given ATS source files, but go no further. --version Show ATS/Anairiats version and gcc version. EXAMPLES
atscc -o test -O3 test.dats Compile test.dats to an executable named test. Tell gcc to use the third level of optimization. atscc -tc test.dats Typecheck test.dats only. atscc -o test.o -c test.dats Compile test.dats to an object file named test.o. SEE ALSO
atsopt(1), atslex(1), These programs are documented fully by The ATS/Anairiats user's manual available via the web at http://www.ats-lang.org/ AUTHOR
atscc was written by Hongwei Xi. This manual page was written by Matthew Danish <mrd@debian.org>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). February 22, 2010 atscc(1)