Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foreach command ?!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers foreach command ?! Post 21591 by geoquest on Monday 20th of May 2002 02:59:01 AM
Old 05-20-2002
foreach command ?!

SaLAam

What is the best way to change a word withing a files name. I know I'm not clear enough I will give example : -

I have in /test/test N number of files like this

1662_WAITING
1666_WAITING
1670_DONE
1678_DONE
1663_WAITING
1667_WAITING
1673_WAITING
1679_WAITING
1664_WAITING
1668_WAITING
1676_TAPE_ERROR
1683_DONE
1665_WAITING
1669_DONE
1677_TAPE_ERROR
1685_DONE

I want to change the word "####_WAITING" to "####_DONE" or for all the words after the _ at once if possiple. I tried foreach command and I mange to get something like "####_WAITING_DONE" but this is not what I want :-(.

thanks in advance

Abdulkarim

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two variable in foreach command??

Hello, I just want to know how If it's possiple to define 2 variable using foreach command ??? I have directory inside that directory around 1000 file, I want to rename all of this files to something I have it in a list. Example :- ------This is what in my directory---------- d1 d2... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach/grep help!

#!/bin/bash foreach x (67402996 67402998) { grep -a x FINAL2006.dat >> MISSING_RECORDS.dat } I'm trying to pass a list to the variable x, and then grep for that string in FINAL2006.dat... Final2006.dat is in the same folder as my .sh file. I call this with a .cmd file... At any rate,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimWork
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop

What am I doing wrong with this foreach loop? foreach var ($argv) @sum = $sum + $var (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haze21
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi Guys, I have a loop which uses a wildcard i.e. foreach f (*) but when I execute the tcsh file in unix then it gives me an error ->>>>>>>foreach: words not parenthesized<<<<<<<<<<- Any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abch624
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach question

OK, so I am extremely rusty and am just getting back to Unix after 9 years. I'm stuck on something easy. I want to search line-by-line for a string in a file, and I want to do this to a series of files in a directory. This works fine to do the search: while read i; do grep $i file2; done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning foreach

im newbie at shell scripting. why do the following code #!/bin/tcsh setenv CBC ~/cbc/models/ foreach mix (p00p00 p02p00 p02p04) echo $mix cp $CBC/*$mix*Gyr*fits $mix/ end print(copy) only the first mix? % ./copyfromcbc.sh p00p00 wasn't it supposed to run through all words... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prtc
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach in csh

I have a foreach loop in a csh script and I noticed that it tries to find the files with the pattern *$searchpt* in the file name. I'm confused as I never specified checking for the files. foreach f ( *$searchpt* ) set fnew = `echo $f | awk -v searchpat=$searchpt \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using foreach with two lists

Hi everybody, I'm trying to use a foreach command with two lists. The file.txt looks like this: var1: 100 200 300 var2: 3 6 9 I'm trying to use a foreach command to associate the two variables together. My script looks like this: #! /bin/tcsh set a=(`cat file.txt | grep 'var1' | cut -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SimonWhite
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get following result using foreach command?

Dear all, For example, if data contains following numbers:1 2 3 4 5 6 I would like get like below using foreach command,1 2 1 3 1 4 1 5 1 6 2 3 2 4 2 5 2 6 3 4 3 5 3 6 4 5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ryan Kim
1 Replies
american-english-insane(5)					   Users' Manual					american-english-insane(5)

NAME
american-english-insane - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/american-english-insane is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 american-english-insane(5)