Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: block size
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory block size Post 21565 by linuxpenguin on Sunday 19th of May 2002 06:04:26 AM
Old 05-19-2002
Error Re: block size

df -v gives the blocks status of the file system. But what i want to know is, how many bytes make one block in a file system. I hope I have clarified my question. Someone, please respond.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

os block size

AIX 4.3.3 How can I find the os block size? How can I change the OS Block Size? When and where does the os block size get set? I am running oracle 8.1.7 and am under the impression I need to set my os block size = oracle block size which is 8k. Any insight on this would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kburrows
1 Replies

2. Solaris

block size

how do you determine block size for a file system? In solaris 5.8 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know the OS Block size

Hello Unix guru's I want to check my OS Block size for the Solaris 8 Following is one of the line from df -g command. Can anybody help to interpret the same. /u03 (/dev/vx/dsk/oradg/vol03): 8192 block size 8192 frag size 205463552 total blocks 50433792... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dilippatel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

block size and du output

i wrote this code to figure if two identical directories on different devices one on a partition and one on a loop had the same total size for -size +0 file only in recrusive tree form.: awk '$1 ~ /^-/{total=i;i<=NR;i+=$5;print $0}END{print total}' file1.... . the output of du -hb was slightly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert block size to mb

If I execute this command: $ ls -lt | awk '{print $5}' | sort -nr |head -1 it returns the following value 57441881 If I execute this command: $ ls -s | sort -nr | head -1 | cut -d" " -f1 it returns the same file but now in block size 112208 Is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mh53j_fe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block size

Hi All, drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 31 14:47 test Please let me know here 4096 indicating what? Thanks & Regards, Bache (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

7. AIX

Block Size

Hi, I try to change the block size from 512 to 0, but it send this message: 0514-068 Cause not know Can someone help me whith this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ruben78
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

O/s block size

Hi Guys, I am running Linux 2.6.18-164.el x86_64 how do i check the block size? Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies
fscat_vxfs(1M)															    fscat_vxfs(1M)

NAME
fscat_vxfs: fscat - cat a VxFS file system SYNOPSIS
output-file] offset] length] block_size] special DESCRIPTION
provides an interface to a VxFS snapshot file system, similar to that provided by invoked on the block or character special file of regular VxFS file systems. works when executed on the special device of any VxFS file system. On most VxFS file systems, the block or character special file for the file system provides access to a raw image of the file system to back up the file system to tape. On a snapshot file system, access to the corresponding block or character special file provides little useful information. provides a stream of bytes representing the file system snapshot. This datastream is written by default to standard output, although the output-file option can be used to specify another destination. The datastream on standard output can be processed several ways, such as in a pipeline, or written to a tape. By default, the output is a stream of bytes that starts at the beginning of the file system and continues to the last byte. On a snapshot file system, data is read from the file system using special ioctls on the mount point. On other VxFS file systems, data is read from the specified special file. Unless otherwise specified, data is written to standard output. All numbers entered as option arguments can have as a prefix to indicate octal, or as a prefix to indicate hexadecimal. A or can be appended to indicate the value is in 512-byte blocks, a or to indicate the value is in kilobytes, an or to indicate the value is in megabytes, or a or to indicate the value is in gigabytes. An appended letter can be separated from the number by a space, in which case the letter and number should be enclosed in a set of quotes. For example: All numbers entered as options must be in multiples of 512 bytes. For example, a value of 5713 as an offset is rejected. Options recognizes the following options: Specify the output block size, in bytes. block_size must be less than or equal to 1 megabyte. Specify the VxFS file system type. Specify an output file in which to write the datastream. Specify the transfer length, in bytes. A length of includes the remainder of the file system after the specified offset. Specify the starting offset in bytes. Operands recognizes the following operand: special Name of the special device from which the VxFS file system is accessed. Notes Snapshot file systems are only available with the HP OnLineJFS product. A snapshot file system cannot be written to. A snapshot file system exists only as long as it is mounted; once unmounted, the special file no longer contains a snapshot file system. When is run on a mounted VxFS snapshot, the content of free blocks (that is, blocks not allocated to any file or metadata) is undefined. The content of free blocks can change after additional data is written to the primary file system, but blocks associated with files always display the content they had when the snapshot was created. does not work with Storage Checkpoints. SEE ALSO
dd(1), fs_vxfs(4), vxfsio(7). fscat_vxfs(1M)