Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sendmail : connect local host (brocken) Post 21392 by mrsaint on Thursday 16th of May 2002 02:23:20 AM
Old 05-16-2002
Question sendmail : connect local host (brocken)

hi there

I've got a strange problem with a webserver box (suse linux 7.2). My MTA is sendmail, and when I tried manually send a mail.

Sendmail -v "user@something" < /etc/hosts

The Server tried
"simon@localhost... Connecting to local..." but nothing happend and the system hold on.

This happend to every mailadresse.

Incomming mails from an other server stay in the mque and won't send to the local user.

why could this happen? What's wrong? I don't see the solutions for this problem.

BTW webmin gives in the mque list a description to this holded mails: " operations system error"

thanks for your help!

best regrards,
mrsaint

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sendmail : 550 host unknown

Hi I try to configure snedmail as smtp for my solaris box. if the useres are local there's no problem everything's working fine, but is it outside, sendmail says it could find the host. why?! all other tools find diffrent host? Could anyone tell me how I set up an easy mx ? So I test it with... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsaint
29 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

local host setup

I am running Redhat 7.2. I am using a router with dhcp setup for my computer. When logging in, I get the error "dhcppc1 not found". My router assigned that host name to my pc for dhcp. It says to modify the /etc/hosts file to keep from having any problems. Everything seems to be working ok... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

local host

Dear Guys , Please again , i could not find a solution for my server linux red hat 9 . when i leave it about more than 5 min ideal it goes to something like sleep mode and all services stop and even TCP/IP .. what shall i do ??? another thing please , when i installed the server , i gave... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

4. Solaris

How to delete the files from local host to remote host

Hi all, i am copying .gz files from production server to development server using "scp" command.my requirement is after copying .gz files i want to delete old .gz files(two days back) in development server from production server. like this way i need to delelte .log ,.z and .dmp files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna176
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all Host on local network

Hello guys, I would like to develop a script which takes a host name as argument and displays a message whether the host is on the local network or not. How can I accomplish that? Is there a file or command that I can use to list all host on the local network? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

CURL getting Error- couldn't connect to host

Hi i am trying to open HTTP by curl command. i am tryng to do that from command or script BASH. also iptables is off it doesnt work i am getting an error: curl: (7) coudn't connect to host the scipt is: #! /bin/bash curl http://www.cnn.com (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zigizag
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to target host from Source host.

Hi All, Need to connect to target host and execute a command and connect back to source host to continue with next set of command execution. Is there a utility/command using which we can connect to target host ? Please suggest. Note: Netezza database is instaled on Linux server. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set variable to path that does not exist on local host

Can anyone suggest a workaround zone_5.org='/qaz/qwe/path/tns.osn' output /home/bingo/XXX_script.sh: line 180: zone_5.org=/qaz/qwe/path/tns.osn: no parent The path does not exist on the local machine, the allocation used to work till the server was upgraded. Red Hat Enterprise Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to connect to a DB installed on another host using shell script?

Hi Experts There are two hosts say A and B. On host B, Oracle DB is installed and running. I am trying to check if the DB on host B is up and running fine from a script on host A. Is this possible. I tried using commands like sql plus but those doesn't seem to help. Could you please guide. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishshankar
8 Replies
WARNQUOTA.CONF(5)						File Formats Manual						 WARNQUOTA.CONF(5)

NAME
warnquota.conf - configuration for warnquota SYNOPSIS
/etc/warnquota.conf DESCRIPTION
The warnquota.conf file stores a configuration for warnquota(8) tool which is used to notify an user or a group who exceeds its disk quota limits. The syntax is an option name followed by a equal sign and the option value. White space characters surrounding the option names and values are allowed. Empty lines or lines starting with a hash sign or a semicolon are ignored. An option value can but does not have to be quoted. The value can span across multiple lines provided each previous line ends with a back- slash. Some option values can contain formatting sequences which will be expanded to their respective values. Following sequences are recognizes: %d domain name %h host name %i, %s user or group name %% literal % character | new-line character OPTIONS
CC_BEFORE Send to copy-carbon address only when an user has less than specified grace time left. Value is a number followed by a time unit. Known units are seconds, minutes, hours, and days. Example: 5 days CC_TO An e-mail address to put into copy-carbon (CC:) recipient header. Default value is root. CHARSET Defines character set for sent e-mails. Default value will be current locale character set used when executing warn- quota command, if locale is not either C or POSIX. Otherwise none character set will be specified in the e-mails. FROM Defines From: e-email address. Default value is support@localhost. GROUP_MESSAGE A text sent as an e-mail body if a group exceeds its limits. This option recognizes formatting sequences. GROUP_SIGNATURE A signature text appended to notification for a group. Default value is a general explanation utilizing SUPPORT and PHONE values. This option recognizes formatting sequences. LDAP_BASEDN Base distinguished name for LDAP queries. LDAP_BINDDN Bind distinguished name for LDAP queries. LDAP_BINDPW Bind password for LDAP queries. LDAP_DEFAULT_MAIL_DOMAIN Default e-mail address domain of searched user if given LDAP attribute does not specify any. LDAP_HOST LDAP server name to connect to if LDAP_URI is not defined. LDAP_MAIL A boolean controlling if LDAP has to be used to look up an user's e-mail address. Possible values are true and false. Default value is false. LDAP_MAIL_ATTRIBUTE The LDAP attribute which holds user's e-mail address. LDAP_PORT LDAP server port number to connect to if LDAP_URI is not defined. LDAP_SEARCH_ATTRIBUTE The LDAP attribute which holds user's ID to look up. LDAP_URI The URL of LDAP server to use to search user's e-mail addresses. This option takes preference over LDAP_HOST and LDAP_PORT. Example: ldaps://example.com:389/ MESSAGE A beginning of text sent as an e-mail body if a user exceeds his limits. This option recognizes formatting sequences. MAIL_CMD The command to execute to send an e-mail. The e-mail text including all headers is passed to the standard input of the command. Default value is /usr/lib/sendmail -t. MAILDEV The device with disk quotas to exclude from sending notifications if there are exceeded limits. This option should identify the device where mail boxes are stored to prevent from bouncing the warnquota notification by local MDA due to no space for storing new e-mails. Special value any denotes all devices. PHONE The telephone contact to the user support. Default value is (xxx) xxx-xxxx or (yyy) yyy-yyyy. SIGNATURE The end of e-mail body if a user exceeds its limits. Default value is a general explanation utilizing SUPPORT and PHONE values. This option recognizes formatting sequences. SUBJECT The text to put into Subject: header. Default value is Disk Quota usage on system. SUPPORT The contact to the user support. Default value is support@localhost. EXAMPLE
# comment FROM = root@example.com SUPPORT = support@example.com PHONE = 1234 FILES
/etc/warnquota.conf configuration for warnquota(8) SEE ALSO
warnquota(8). WARNQUOTA.CONF(5)