Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Laptop Compatability
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Laptop Compatability Post 21389 by merlin on Thursday 16th of May 2002 01:16:46 AM
Old 05-16-2002
Never done it but I have looked right into it.

To start with a standard laptop with a Intel chip wont load Solaris for Sparc on it. Just letting people know the basics Smilie

Ok here's the go with Solaris 8 for intel on a laptop.

DON'T BOTHER!!!~!!~!

Sorry to say that but truely if you can get it working I would like to know what you asked about the specs of the laptop so I can do it.

See with Intel and Solaris 8 (reason I say Solaris 8 i because that's the most common used Solaris for Intel) it's not like a Soalris machine. Well DUH! you say, but due to the fact of the amount of different drivers and cards you can get on a Intel it's hard to find the right ones that'll go with Solaris 8 on a Intel chip base.

I have spoken to people who know there stuff at Sun. Also spoken to other people around. Now most of them say they have never done it but they would say that the graphics card would be the hardest thing to setup. If you can get teh graphics card working well that should make the install a hell of alot easier.

Drivers are the hardest thing to find for doing this.

Also last point Sun no longer supports Solaris 8 for Intel chips anymore. They say it's costing them to much money. So don't think support will be easy to find either. Well from Sun anyway.

Smilie
merlin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware compatability

One thing I am learning is that it is hard to find hardware that is compatiple with unix (correct me if I am wrong). I have now installed Corel's version of Linux. How do you know when a piece of hardware (e.g. network card) is or is not working in Unix. I go to the Control centre and see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cantcatchme
1 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

HP has new Linux Laptop

Newfactor Cnet story HP Web Site It's cool that they offer it. But it comes with XP Pro. Change that to XP Home and you save $50. Change that to Linux and it costs the same as XP Home. They are not passing the savings to the consumer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
1 Replies

3. Linux

Mandrake Compatability

I was just woundering, is mandrake compatible with AMD Athlon processors? I think I have AMD Athlon 2400 XP (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimm
5 Replies

4. BSD

FreeBSD on a Laptop

In this post, hitechredneck said: I lost the C drive in my venerable Inspiron 8200 :eek: I have installed a temporary replacement C drive and I have a Seagate ST910021A on order for it. If I can get that drive to work with my Inspiron 8200, I am going to install a quad boot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
4 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Im new at this and need help with my laptop

Ok, I recently purchased a lapto and the harddrive crashed. I bought a new one and now half of the functions on it wont work. I cant watch DVD's and non eof my Fn keys work. Any suggestions? Also wanting to learn how to program, anybody know a good way to go about it/learn computer languages? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beachbummer88
2 Replies

6. BSD

NetBSD on OLD laptop

I want to install NetBSD on the Compaq LTE 5000. ("Of course it runs NetBSD!!") But the laptop does NOT have a CD-ROM drive. How can I solve?? Thanks for any reply! :) PS: I hope i'm posting in the right item... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Laptop for unix

I like Unix systems very much. Is there possibility, to buy new modern laptop (something like core i7 3.0GHz, ATI/NVIDIA graphic card with 1024MB, 8GB of RAM) on which I will be able to install Unix systems like BSD and Solaris and use mic and cameras and all stuff with this systems? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sybase 12/15 compatability

This is more a database problem than a shell one, but we have a problem affecting our scripts, so I'm stretching the limits a bit! ;) We're in the process of migrating our application and a large number of associated scripts from Sybase 12.5.4 to Sybase 15. Scripts using 'isql' and 'bcp' include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies
adp(7D) 							      Devices								   adp(7D)

NAME
adp - Low-level module for controllers based on Adaptec AIC-7870P and AIC-7880P SCSI chips DESCRIPTION
The adp module provides low-level interface routines between the common disk/tape I/O system and SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) controllers based on the Adaptec AIC-7870P and AIC-7880P SCSI chips. These controllers include the Adaptec AHA-2940, AHA-2940W, AHA-2940U, AHA-2940UW, AHA-3940, and AHA-3940W, as well as motherboards with embedded AIC-7870P and AIC-7880P SCSI chips. Supported devices are AIC-7850, AIC-7860, AIC-7870, AIC-7880 and AIC-7895. The adp module can be configured for disk and streaming tape support for one or more host adapter boards, each of which must be the sole initiator on a SCSI bus. Auto-configuration code determines if the adapter is present at the configured address and what types of devices are attached to the adapter. PRECONFIGURE
The Plug N Play SCAM Support option is not supported. Known Problems and Limitations o To use the AHA-3940 or AHA-3940W adapters, the motherboard must have a BIOS that supports the DEC PCI-to-PCI Bridge chip on the host bus adapter. o User-level programs have exhibited problems on some PCI systems with an Adaptec AHA-2940 or AHA-2940W card and certain motherboards. If problems with user-level programs occur, use the BIOS setup to disable write-back CPU caching (or all caching if there is no con- trol over the caching algorithm). The affected motherboards are: - PCI motherboards with a 60-MHz Pentium chip, with PCI chipset numbers S82433LX Z852 and S82434LX Z850. The part numbers of the Intel motherboards are AA616393-007 and AA615988-009. - PCI motherboards with a 90-MHz Pentium chip, with PCI chipset numbers S82433NX Z895, S82434NX Z895, and S82434NX Z896. The part number of the Intel motherboard is 541286-005. (Some Gateway 2000 systems use this motherboard.) - AA-619772-002 motherboard with 82433LX Z852 and 82434LX Z882 chips causes random memory inconsistencies. Return the motherboard to the vendor for a replacement. o If the AHA-2940 SCSI adapter does not recognize the Quantum Empire 1080S, HP 3323 SE or other SCSI disk drive, reduce the Synchronous Transfer rate on the Adaptec controller to 8 Mbps. o The AHA-3940 has been certified by Adaptec to work on specific systems; however, some testing has shown that the Solaris operating environment works properly in some of those systems and not in others. CONFIGURATION
Use the Adaptec configuration utility to perform the following steps: o Configure each SCSI device to have a unique SCSI ID, then using the adapter's Advanced Configuration Options setup menu, set the Plug N Play SCAM Support option to Disabled. o If there is more than one controller (or an embedded controller), try to use one IRQ per controller. o Enable bus mastering for the slots with your host bus adapters, when the choice is given. o For older disk drives, tape drives, and most CD-ROM devices, make sure the maximum SCSI data transfer speed is set to 5.0 Mbps. o Enable support for disks larger than 1 Gbyte if applicable. FILES
/kernel/drv/adp.conf Configuration file for the adp driver; there are no user-configurable options in this file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) Solaris (Intel Platform Edition) Hardware Compatibility List NOTES
Throughout the release, support of additional devices may be added. See the Solaris (Intel Platform Edition) Hardware Compatibility List for additional information. The adp driver supports Logical Unit Number ("LUN") values of 0 through 15. This range exceeds the standard SCSI-2 requirements which call for support of LUNs 0 through 7. SunOS 5.10 10 Oct 2000 adp(7D)