Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can there be multi-dimensional variable arrays in borne shell? Post 21359 by jparker on Wednesday 15th of May 2002 12:49:19 PM
Old 05-15-2002
Bug Can there be multi-dimensional variable arrays in borne shell?

Hello -

I've serached the web but can't find much on array script variables (except that C-shell variables are arrays!)

I'm trying to form a 2-D string array: (this is what I want, but in java)

String[][] list = { {"one", "two"}, {"three"} };

I know this is a 1-D string array shell variable:

list="one two"

but how can I get another dimension? (and then index them in borne shell?) (I acknowledge that it might not be possible)

Basically I'd like to have a single variable, it's first set of elements always get evaluated, and if a 2nd dimension exists, apply slightly different logic on all of the other elements.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

Last edited by jparker; 05-16-2002 at 09:43 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multi-Dimensional Arrays

So, I'm fooling around with multi demtional arrays, and I made this in a short amount of time: #include <stdio.h> main(int argc, char *argv) { char blah = { {'a', 'b'}, {'b', 'a'} }; int i = 0; while (i < 2) { if (argv == blah) printf("%c\n", blah); i++; } } The goal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Octal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi Dimensional array in KSH

Is there any way to use multi dim. array in KSH ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating Pick multi dimensional data with awk.

Hi. I am reasonably new to awk, but have done quite a lot of unix scripting in the past. I have resolved the issues below with unix scripting but it runs like a dog. Moved to awk for speed and functionality but running up a big learning curve in a hurry, so hope there is some help here. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike.strategis
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP: how can I delete empty/NULL elements from a multi-dimensional array.

Hi all I have a file that i'm running and exec(cat ./dat) against..and putting its contents into any array, then doing an exploding the array into a multi-dimension array... The 15 multi-dimensional arrays have elements that are null/empty, I would like to remove/unset these elements and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match elements in an AWK multi-dimensional array

Hello, I have two files in the following format; file1: A B C D E F G H I J K L file2: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 I have read them both in to multi-dimensional arrays. I need a file that has column 2 of the first file printed out for each column 3 of the second file ie... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting multi dimensional array

Hi there, Can someone let me know how to sort the 2 dimensional array below by column 1 then by column 2? 22 55 2222 2230 33 66 44 58 222 240 11 25 22 60 33 45 output: 11 25 22 55 22 60 33 45 33 66 44 58 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoeberunner
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: stdin to multi-dimensional array

I cant get out of this while loop at the beginning of my program. Just reading from stdin one char at a time and storing it into a multi-array. Need to fix it with in two hours. #include <sys/wait.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unt_engn
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi Dimensional array

I have an array of names. Each one of the name, has a number represented to it. For example A has an ID 8, B has an ID 2. What I am after is a for loop that when the array is in position 1, a particular variable is set to the value of position 1 in array 2 declare -a arr=("A" "B" "C"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi Dimensional array in bash

Hi, I'm developing a script which contains a multi dimensional array, however for some reason the array is not iterating. When executing the script, services are listed as arguments from argument 2. Ex voice data sms. service=${@:2}; for services in $service do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
2 Replies
variable(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       variable(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
variable - create and initialize a namespace variable SYNOPSIS
variable ?name value...? name ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is normally used within a namespace eval command to create one or more variables within a namespace. Each variable name is initialized with value. The value for the last variable is optional. If a variable name does not exist, it is created. In this case, if value is specified, it is assigned to the newly created variable. If no value is specified, the new variable is left undefined. If the variable already exists, it is set to value if value is specified or left unchanged if no value is given. Normally, name is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable is created in the current namespace. If name includes any namespace qualifiers, the variable is created in the specified names- pace. If the variable is not defined, it will be visible to the namespace which command, but not to the info exists command. If the variable command is executed inside a Tcl procedure, it creates local variables linked to the corresponding namespace variables (and therefore these variables are listed by info vars.) In this way the variable command resembles the global command, although the global command only links to variables in the global namespace. If any values are given, they are used to modify the values of the associated namespace variables. If a namespace variable does not exist, it is created and optionally initialized. A name argument cannot reference an element within an array. Instead, name should reference the entire array, and the initialization value should be left off. After the variable has been declared, elements within the array can be set using ordinary set or array commands. EXAMPLES
Create a variable in a namespace: namespace eval foo { variable bar 12345 } Create an array in a namespace: namespace eval someNS { variable someAry array set someAry { someName someValue otherName otherValue } } Access variables in namespaces from a procedure: namespace eval foo { proc spong {} { # Variable in this namespace variable bar puts "bar is $bar" # Variable in another namespace variable ::someNS::someAry parray someAry } } SEE ALSO
global(n), namespace(n), upvar(n) KEYWORDS
global, namespace, procedure, variable Tcl 8.0 variable(n)