Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: trimming a file...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trimming a file... Post 2135 by alwayslearningunix on Monday 23rd of April 2001 12:41:55 PM
Old 04-23-2001
Hi everyone
I have this script that appends a line to a file to log the running status of an application. I need to write another script to run as a scheduled job in cron to trim the first x number of lines of this file.

Could someone give me an idea how to do this?

Regards
alwayslearningunix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming a string

Hi, I am trying to find a script command that will let me trim leading and trailing space from a string. I have coded a SQL Select and sending the output to a file. Later I am parsing the file and reading each field. The problem is that each field uses the same size as the DB2 type it was defined... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trimming zeros

Hi, I want to trim +with leading zero's with amount fields.I know using awk for trimming leading zeros with +,but I want get the entire row itself. cat file_name |awk -F " " '{printf "%14.4f%f\n",$4}' ex: 10 xyz bc +00000234.4500 20 yzx foxic +002456.000 Expexted 10 xyz bc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trimming the spaces

Hi, How can I remove the unwanted spaces in the line. 123456 789 ABC DEF. - I wanna remove the sapces in this line, I need the output 123456789ABCDEF. Pls help me...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trimming whitespaces in a file

Hello, Im trying write a bash sript to search a file and identify any file names that contain a space at the end of them. I was trying to use the grep command but I can find how I would identify the character I'm looking for. Any help would be grately appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gintreach
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming fields for comma or pipe seperated file

I have file like this FileA: abc , "helloworld" , america def,asia, japan ghi, africa, ipl Output Needed: abc,"helloworld",america def,asia,japan ghi,africa,ipl I would like to implement using awk. I want to trim each field for its leading and trailing spaces. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming output

I'm trying to parse an output log and I've managed to reduce the output to the lines I need. But I'm having trouble pulling out only the info I'm interested in. The output is 40+ lines and here is a sample Installing AppFresh 0.8.5.pkg from ./InstallerFiles/CustomPKG/26 (26) Installing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaltekar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trimming a file from command prompt!

I have a text file. I want the top 100 lines of this file to be deleted that too from command line using minimum command input. Please tell! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming a string

Hi I need to trim white spaces from strings in a file. Input file is like this: 1_rrc_CatalogGroups.csv = 607 1_rrc_Sales_TopCatalogGroups.csv = 4 1_rrc_Sales_CatalogEntries_CatalogGroup_Rel.csv = 7 Need to trim space before and after = symbol. This is my script: #!/usr/bin/ksh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhdip
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming in between the words

Hi i have a log file P12345_15728710:DEBUG:Begin P12345_15728710:DEBUG:Being P12345_15729310:DEBUG:GetAgen P12345_15726510:DEBUG:end i want to trim this file and i want like this 15728710 15728710 15729310 15726510 i tried sed ..but not working.. sed "s/.*P12345__ \(.*\)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan420
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trimming ends

My files look like this I need to remove the sequence GGGAAA and anything before that I also need to remove the sequence AGCCCTA and anything after that So I will end up with something like this The left side is done but I cannot get the right side correctly. I would like to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
3 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)