Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: socket address
Special Forums IP Networking socket address Post 21214 by fishman2001 on Monday 13th of May 2002 01:47:09 PM
Old 05-13-2002
Question socket address

Could anyone tell me please:

-what the socket number of a network computer is?

-How it is related to the IP address?

-And how can I obtain this information from my work station?

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Socket Programming socket

Hello, I actually try to make client-server program. I'm using SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0 and when I try to compile my code (by TELNET) I've got this error : I'm just using this simple code : and I get the same error if I use : If someone can help me, Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soshell
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

3. Programming

which socket should socket option on be set

Hi all, On the server side, one socket is used for listening, the others are used for communicating with the client. My question is: if i want to set option for socket, which socket should be set on? If either can be set, what's the different? Again, what's the different if set option... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blademan100
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Panic kernal-mode address fault on user address 0x14

:) Firstly Hi all!!, im NEW!! and on here hoping that someone might be able to offer me some help... i have a server that keeps crashing every few days with the error message: PANIC KERNAL-MODE ADDRESS FAULT ON USER ADDRESS 0X14 KERNAL PAGE FAULT FROM (CS:EIP)=(100:EF71B5BD) EAX=EF822000... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twix
10 Replies

5. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

6. Programming

Error with socket operation on non-socket

Dear Experts, i am compiling my code in suse 4.1 which is compiling fine, but at runtime it is showing me for socket programming error no 88 as i searched in errno.h it is telling me socket operation on non socket, what is the meaning of this , how to deal with this error , please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

Tracing a MAC address to IP address: Solaris

Hi there I lost connectivity to one of our remote systems and when I checked the messages log I found the following: Aug 10 23:42:34 host xntpd: time reset (step) 1.681729 s Aug 16 13:20:51 host ip: WARNING: node "mac address" is using our IP address x.x.x.x on aggr1 Aug 16 13:20:51 host... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
9 Replies

8. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

9. Programming

Getting error address already in use in socket programming

Hi , I am getting error in bind function of "Address already in use" even also i have used the setsockopt function in that case . Please help int ret = 0; int listenSock = 0; struct sockaddr_in myAddr; struct sockaddr_in ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipin auja
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

C program to detect duplicate ip address if any after assigning ip address to ethernet interface

Hi , Could someone let me know how to detect duplicate ip address after assigning ip address to ethernet interface using c program (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
3 Replies
le(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						     le(7)

NAME
le - LeMAC Ethernet interface SYNOPSIS
config_driver le DESCRIPTION
The le interface provides access to a 10 Mb/s Ethernet network through the LeMAC controller. The host's Internet address is specified at boot time with an SIOCSIFADDR ioctl. The le interface employs the address resolution protocol described in arp(7) to map dynamically between Internet and Ethernet addresses on the local network. The SIOCSPHYSADDR ioctl can be used to change the physical address of the LeMAC. The SIOCRPHYSADDR ioctl can be used to read the physical address of the LeMAC. The SIOCADDMULTI and SIOCDELMULTI ioctls can be used to add or delete multicast addresses. The LeMAC recognizes a maximum of 12 multicast addresses. The SIOCRDCTRS and SIOCRDZCTRS ioctls can be used to read or ``read and clear'' the Ethernet driver counters. The argument to these two ioctls is a pointer to a counter structure, ctrreq, found in <net/if.h>. The SIOCENABLBACK and SIOCDISABLBACK ioctls can be used to enable and disable the interface loopback mode respectively. EXAMPLES
To obtain the physical address of the adapter, use the SIOCRPHYSADDR ioctl as in the following program example: #include <stdio.h> /* standard I/O */ #include <errno.h> /* error numbers */ #include <sys/socket.h> /* socket definitions */ #include <sys/ioctl.h> /* ioctls */ #include <net/if.h> /* generic interface structures */ main() { int s,i; struct ifdevea devea; /* Get a socket */ s = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_DGRAM,0); if (s < 0) { perror("socket"); exit(1); } strcpy(devea.ifr_name,"le0"); if (ioctl(s,SIOCRPHYSADDR,&devea) < 0) { perror(&devea.ifr_name[0]); exit(1); } printf("Address is "); for (i = 0; i < 6; i++) printf("%X ", devea.default_pa[i] & 0xff); printf(" "); close(s); } To enable external loopback, use the SIOCENABLEBACK ioctl as in the following program example: #include <stdio.h> /* standard I/O */ #include <errno.h> /* error numbers */ #include <sys/socket.h> /* socket definitions */ #include <sys/ioctl.h> /* ioctls */ #include <net/if.h> /* generic interface structures */ main() { int s; struct ifreq data; /* Get a socket */ s = socket(AF_INET,SOCK_DGRAM,0); if (s < 0) { perror("socket"); exit(1); } strcpy(data.ifr,"le0"); if (ioctl(s,SIOCENABLEBACK,&data) < 0) { perror("SIOCENABLEBACK:"); exit(1); } close(s); } ERRORS
The diagnostic error messages contain relevant information provided by the LeMAC. The interface was handed a message with addresses for- matted in an unsuitable address family, and the packet was dropped. The le driver was unable to allocate memory for internal data struc- tures. The IRQ for the LeMAC is missing from the CMOS configuration data or is incorrect. The IRQ for the LeMAC is missing from the CMOS configuration data or is incorrect. Too many multicast requests have been made. The shared memory block for the LeMAC's local RAM buffer is missing from the CMOS configuration data. The station address PROM on the LeMAC is corrupt or inaccessible. The hardware transmit queue has been overflowed. An attempt was made to delete the Ethernet broadcast address of ff-ff-ff-ff-ff. RELATED INFORMATION
arp(7), inet(7), netintro(7) delim off le(7)