Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: low RAM
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers low RAM Post 21177 by jurrien on Monday 13th of May 2002 05:46:16 AM
Old 05-13-2002
an new idea

you can connect your laptop to an other (with an network) pc and install there a nice proxy (best is a transparant proxy). (you need a pcmcia network card for this). and use a bootable disk from a company like suse. run the disk connect to the internet. and install from an ftp.

things you need at least for this is an pcmcia network card and comp with 2 network cards or an network card and a modem. (last one is not prefferable). and a crosscable/coax cable, transparante proxy software.

it is proberly also possible to installl from a cd in your computer if you have made it an ftp server (not sure if it works never tested it).
then you need is an pcmcia network card , other normal network card and a crosscable. ftp server software for other pc.

i hope these a workable ideas.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Low level format?

I want to do a low level format like in windows (C:\format c:) but I don't know how it works in unix or linux.. Can somebody help me ? thnx :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: day
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap space is LOW

I checked the server and issued various command to investigated. but from teh output of swap -s and swap -l, i received the following swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/vx/dsk/swapvol 197,7 16 4194800 4127696 /dev/vx/dsk/swap2 197,8 16 12582896... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

low-order seven bits

Hi and thx in advance :) I have to transfert files between a UNIX server and a Network Appliance Filer and i have problem with accent characters on filename. On unix side accent are interpreted as follow ls -l unix* | cat -v -rwxr--r-- 1 a067842 admDE 0 Sep 24 16:33... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solea
2 Replies

4. AIX

Pend Low Mbuffs

Help.. my RS600 7043-140 keeps on hanging everyday. This is the output of "errpt -a": LABEL: PEND_LOW_MBUFS IDENTIFIER: E9B4EB4B Date/Time: Tue Jul 29 12:16:02 Sequence Number: 1183 Machine Id: 006066844C00 Node Id: mgmtoracle Class: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bright_genius
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Low priority file????

Hi all, which file has the low priority while linux booting?. I just want to run a script in background with low priority while linux boots up.(I need to include that script to be called from that file) as am a newbie to linux. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, SMNK (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SMNK
2 Replies

7. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

8. AIX

Low Virtual memory available

Hi I am running AIX 5.2. My server is running low on memory. It it using about 1307775 file pages on a total of 1511424 (from vmstat -v). I looked at the memory yesterday morning, and we had plenty of free memory. I did a backup from Windows (ftp mget command) of a large file selection. From... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredrivard
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

High RAM usage, extremely low swapping

Hi team I have three physical servers running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.2 with the following memory conditions: # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i mem MemTotal: 8062888 kB MemFree: 184540 kB Shmem: 516 kB and the following swap conditions: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
6 Replies
gnome-network-preferences(1)					   User Commands				      gnome-network-preferences(1)

NAME
gnome-network-preferences - configure network proxy SYNOPSIS
gnome-network-preferences [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Network Proxy preference tool enables you to configure how your system connects to networks. You can configure the desktop to connect to a proxy server, and specify the details of the proxy server. A proxy server is a server that intercepts requests to another server, and fulfills the request itself, if it can. You can enter the Domain Name Service (DNS) name or the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the proxy server. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching the Network Proxy preference tool example% gnome-network-preferences EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-network-pExecutable for Network Proxy preferences tool ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-preferences | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Preference Tools Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 gnome-network-preferences(1)