Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting Up A Guestbook
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setting Up A Guestbook Post 21144 by akitachi on Sunday 12th of May 2002 05:49:22 AM
Old 05-12-2002
Setting Up A Guestbook

Hello there Smilie

I need to know how to get a guest book up and running on my server. My ISP does allow CGI scripts to be run, and the one I have working at the moment (an email form)
runs OK as a pop-up window on my home page.

http://wwww.kitachi.info

I have uploaded two files:

1) gbook.html which has been ftp'd onto the main directory of my server, in ASCII mode
with the permissions set to 644 (read/write for all).

I think the correct unix server path for ths file is: /kitachi.info/gbook.html (though this might be incorrect and this could be the main problem)

2) bnbbook.cgi gbook.html which has been ftp'd onto a folder labled 'guestbook' which is in a folder labled cgi-bin in the main directory of my server. This has also been uploaded in ASCII mode but with the permissions set to 775 (Owner can read/write/execute, and group and others can read and execute).

I think the correct unix server path for ths file is:

/kitachi.info/cgi-bin/guestbook/bnbbook.cgi

This is the path I've entered to the script attached to the form in this file.
You can see what I'm trying to do if you goto:

http://www.kitachi.info/gbook.html

Then try and submit the form.

Basically , I think that when the form is submitted from the html to the cgi script, the cgi needs to look back through the folder directory and pinpopint the gbook.html file (using the unix path).

Trouble is that the cgi script can't find the gbook.html file for some reason. I know this because when I try and submit anything from the form in my browser, I get this message:

'Unable to locate your guestbook file
Please check that /kitachi.info/gbook.html is the correct path and name '

The message is part of the cgi Script, so I know somthing is working ok !!

I know I have entered the correct mail handler script, because I got this from my ISP

http://www.nicnames.co.uk

I've asked the tech support at my server about setting up this guestbnook but they aren't much help.

I've literally spent days on this and it's starting to drive me insane !!!

I downloaded the actual guestboook files and info from here:
http://bignosebird.com/carchive/bnbbook.shtml

I am aslo wondering if the actual html download they give you is correct, because the guest book they supply has no 'submit' button (I added my own) and there is no- where
to read your (and others) guestbook entries from once you have submitted the form.

If you could help me out here or at least point me in the right direction, It wouild be very much appreciated !

I'm pretty handy with Illustrator, Photoshop etc and I'd be very happy to return the favour in the future

Thank you very much in advance :O)

Kind Regards

Adrian

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New ip setting

I want to change the IPsetting and the broadcast setting. With ipconfig I get this: hme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2 inet xx.17x.18x.xx netmask fffffff0 broadcast xx.17x.18x.xx ether yy:0:yy:b6:yy:xx What command(squence) do I use to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuultak
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting cronjobs...

Hi, We have 4 jobs to be run every month on different times - * a daily job runs once in 2 days at 3PM *a weekly runs every thursday at 3PM * a monthly runs last day of month either 30 or 31st at 3PM * 4th job runs on 3rd of every month at 3Pm How can I set the crontab for these 4 jobs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krworks
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting a variable!

I am working within a while loop and i am trying to set a variable that will read out each count of the files. the problem is the count variable i have set up gives me a total and not the individual count of each file. in the data area there is 4 abc.dat and 1 def.dat. how can i do this??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. AIX

Timezone Setting

Hi On several AIX 5.3 LPARs the timezone is currrently set to: TZ=NZST-12NZDT,M9.5.0/02:00,M4.1.0/03:00 Daylight savings in NZ starts on Sun 28th Sep 2008, which is the fourth Sunday. Do I need to change my TZ variable to NZST-12NZDT,M9.4.0/02:00,M4.1.0/03:00 or will AIX interpret the fifth... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiwiP
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Ulimit Setting

All, Our SA is considering setting the max open files from 2048 to 30K. This sounds like a drastic change. Does anybody have an idea of the negative impacts of increasing the open files too high? Would like to know if this change could negatively impact our system. What test should we run to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcrober
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a Timeout

Hi I'm writing a script which based on a condition, restarts a set of servers. The problem I'm facing is, say if one of the server is down, my script stops there and fails to proceed. How can I ensure to set a timeout value on that script, so when the server is not reachable, the script should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathbalaji
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab setting

Hi Team, Please help me to set one script in crontab. I have one script and inside script, its creating one log file for saving ouptut of script. i have to out that script in crontab. When i put the script in cronatab, it executed and log file created but no data in log. like this i put in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivshankar
3 Replies
cgi_destroy(3)							     cgi/cgi.h							    cgi_destroy(3)

NAME
cgi_destroy - deallocate the data associated with a CGI SYNOPSIS
#include <cgi/cgi.h> void cgi_destroy (CGI **cgi); ARGUMENTS
cgi - a pointer to a pointer to a CGI struct DESCRIPTION
cgi_destroy will destroy all the data associated with a CGI, which mostly means the associated HDF and removal of any files that were uploaded via multipart/form-data. (Note that even in the event of a crash, these files will be deleted, as they were unlinked on creation and only exist because of the open file pointer) RETURN VALUE
cgi - NULL on output SEE ALSO
cgi_debug_init(3), cgi_parse(3), cgi_destroy(3), cgi_js_escape(3), cgi_html_escape_strfunc(3), cgi_register_strfuncs(3), cgi_output(3), parse_rfc2388(3), cgi_url_validate(3), open_upload(3), cgi_cs_init(3), cgi_url_escape_more(3), cgi_html_strip_strfunc(3), cgi_neo_error(3), cgi_redirect(3), cgi_filehandle(3), cgi_register_parse_cb(3), cgi_url_escape(3), cgi_init(3), cgi_redirect_uri(3), cgi_cookie_clear(3), cgi_url_unescape(3), cgi_vredirect(3), cgi_display(3), cgi_html_ws_strip(3), cgi_error(3), cgi_cookie_set(3), cgi_text_html_strfunc(3), cgi_cookie_authority ClearSilver 12 July 2007 cgi_destroy(3)