Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: broken pipe?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers broken pipe? Post 21138 by gusla on Sunday 12th of May 2002 12:36:35 AM
Old 05-12-2002
Question i wanted to pipe to perl!

thks Freelive.

my initial purpose is wanted to pipe the files to a perl program.

see, say my perl program is getfile.pl (taking file names as argumemnts)
Code:
# getfile.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
 while ($ARGV = shift)
 {
        print "\nprocessing $ARGV...";
        if (-d $ARGV)
        {
           print "\n$ARGV is a DIR\n";
         }
 }

if i use:
> getfile.pl f1 f2 dir1 dir2
to execute the perl file, it's working.

However, if i use:
> ls | getfile.pl OR >find * | getfile.pl
it's not working. It wouldn't recoglise the input argument (@ARGV is empty)

also
>getfile.pl < f1 f2 dir1 dir2

it only recognise f2, dir1, dir2. The first argument f1 is missing. (ie. @ARGV only contains f2, dir1 and dir2)

WHY?

appreciate as usual

Gusla
Smilie

added code tags for readability --oombera

Last edited by oombera; 02-18-2004 at 12:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe

sometimes I ftp files from an Unix environment from the command prompt of my win2000 pc and I get a "broken pipe" message. sometimes I'll get nothing but sometimes I'll get part of the file. Whats this "broken pipe" about?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Broken Pipe

Hi I tried to open the man page of sh and piped to `pg`. Normally while reading a file page by page using `pg`, if we wanna quit at the middle of file, we give "q" near the colon mode. Ex1: $cat file1 | pg hi how r u : (page1) now press "return key", it will go to next page yes i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

4. Linux

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir2
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

pipe broken

hi i have a server, and i have a web site and i installed apache in the /usr/local/apache/logs i have a file and i have this problem (32)Broken pipe: core_output_filter: writing data to the network plz help me how i can resolve this plz it's urgent th (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abir2
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

broken pipe

hi i am trying to upload a file using ftp protocol, i am facing some problem while uploading "Failedtoupload:SFTREGUP1:FTP_ASCII_MAILBOX21.39.10.856305000:Broken pipe" Can someone explain why it is coming , and the solution . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe

I know what causes 'broken pipe' errors, but I can't understand why I can get it (only occasionally) with my example: ps -ef | grep "\./ans$" | grep -v grep Basically I'm searching the ps output looking for the process I'm interested in and excluding the process that is grepping for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhew
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

broken pipe error

I'm new to scripting, and this forum has been invaluable in helping me out. I'm hoping I can get some personal help now though. I have a korn script that takes a list of servers and either telnets or sshs into it (only some are set up for ssh). What I'm doing now is trying to telnet first, and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimeet
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Broken pipe

Hi all, I am trying to run a sleep command and I am receiving a broken pipe when I execute. any help would be greatly appreciated. sleep `< /dev/urandom tr -dc 0-6 | head -c2` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
2 Replies
scandir(3)						     Library Functions Manual							scandir(3)

NAME
scandir, alphasort - Scans or sorts directory contents LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/dir.h> int scandir ( char *dir_name, struct dirent * (*name_list[ ]), int (*select) ( struct dirent *dir ), int (*compare) ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ) ); int alphasort ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ); PARAMETERS
Points to the directory name. Points to the array of pointers to directory entries. Points to a user-supplied function that is called by the scandir() function to select which entries to include in the array. Points to a user-supplied function that sorts the completed array. Points to a dirent structure. Points to a dirent structure. DESCRIPTION
The scandir() function reads the directory pointed to by the dir_name parameter. It then uses the malloc() function to create an array of pointers to directory entries. The scandir() function returns the number of entries in the array and, through the name_list parameter, a pointer to the array. The select parameter points to a user-supplied function that the scandir() function calls to select which entries to include in the array. The selection routine is passed a pointer to a directory entry and returns a nonzero value for a directory entry that is included in the array. If the select parameter is a null value, all directory entries are included. The compare parameter points to a user-supplied function that is passed to the qsort() function to sort the completed array. If the compare parameter is a null value, the array is not sorted. The memory allocated to the array can be deallocated by freeing each pointer in the array, and the array itself, with the free() function. The alphasort() function alphabetically compares the two dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 and dir2 parameters. This function can be passed as the compare parameter to either the scandir() function or the qsort() function. A user-supplied subroutine may also be used. RETURN VALUES
The scandir() function returns -1 if the directory cannot be opened for reading or if the malloc() function cannot allocate enough memory to hold all the data structures. If successful, the scandir() function returns the number of entries found. The alphasort() function returns the following values: Less than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexi- cally less than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. 0 (zero): The dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 parameter and the dir2 parameter are equal. Greater than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexically greater than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: malloc(3), opendir(3), qsort(3) delim off scandir(3)