Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command to use a printer
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command to use a printer Post 21122 by LivinFree on Saturday 11th of May 2002 01:03:37 AM
Old 05-11-2002
Guyreg, what type of Unix are you using?
You can find out by using the command "uname -a".

On Linux systems (not sure about others), you can use the /dev/vcs* terminal memory device...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How do you send printer codes to an IP printer

We were printing to a serial laser printer with all the HP codes to generate a form (i.e. lines, boxes, etc.) Thus the file is filled w/ control codes. We are switching to an IP printer and we can no longer print directly to the device (i.e. cp text /dev/tty11). It looks like we have to use the lp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffbugfree
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need UNIX command to print to Dell printer

i need a UNIX command to print to a Dell printer. i was successful printing to a HP printer using qprt -Pprinter, but it doesn't work for Dell printer. any suggestions??? much appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bones91
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help SCO printer install via command line

Hi, I need some help with installing and configuring a printer via command line as the scoadmin menu system doesnt work fully. So I was wondering how i can install and configure a printer purely from command line editing relevant files. It would be great if someone can help me out. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dregnet
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to select a particular media from the printer with a UNIX command

Problem Overview: We have a scheduler that prints report on any of the network printer. Problem Statement: We need to find a UNIX command that picks up either A4, legal or letter size paper form the printer. I found out a command but it's not working on our environment. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HelpMeOUt
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Configuring Printer with Printer Manager

Hi All, I am trying to configure printer in solaris 10 with the help of print manager. There is no printer attached to my system, ia m doing it for test purpose. However I am unable to do so coz its pops up window - Heading as error with option as dismiss and cancel. Kindly help as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
3 Replies

6. AIX

Check printer queue on Windows printer server

Hello Let me first give a small overview of the setup. All printers are connected to Windows 2000 servers. There are a lot of UNIX (AIX & HP-UX) servers as well which have SAP running. I'm working on a script to add printers to a specified SAP instance. I want to verify the user input (to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NielsV
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Monitor printer buffer using unix command

Hi, I have 13jobs waiting in a printer queue.I am try to get the status and number of jobs using lpstat but i cant see any job is waiting in queue.i think those jobs are in printer buffer.is there any way to get the status of printer buffer too using unix command.please correct me if i am wrong. i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagii
1 Replies

8. Linux

Find printer location and printer type

Hi, Is it possible to find the printer location and printer type (whether it is local or network) using command in Linux ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumguest
1 Replies
VCS(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    VCS(4)

NAME
vcs, vcsa - virtual console memory DESCRIPTION
/dev/vcs0 is a character device with major number 7 and minor number 0, usually of mode 0644 and owner root.tty. It refers to the memory of the currently displayed virtual console terminal. /dev/vcs[1-63] are character devices for virtual console terminals, they have major number 7 and minor number 1 to 63, usually mode 0644 and owner root.tty. /dev/vcsa[0-63] are the same, but using unsigned shorts (in host byte order) that include attributes, and prefixed with four bytes giving the screen dimensions and cursor position: lines, columns, x, y. (x = y = 0 at the top left corner of the screen.) When a 512-character font is loaded, the 9th bit position can be fetched by applying the ioctl(2) VT_GETHIFONTMASK operation (available in Linux kernels 2.6.18 and above) on /dev/tty[1-63]; the value is returned in the unsigned short pointed to by the third ioctl(2) argument. These devices replace the screendump ioctl(2) operations of console(4), so the system administrator can control access using file system permissions. The devices for the first eight virtual consoles may be created by: for x in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8; do mknod -m 644 /dev/vcs$x c 7 $x; mknod -m 644 /dev/vcsa$x c 7 $[$x+128]; done chown root:tty /dev/vcs* No ioctl(2) requests are supported. FILES
/dev/vcs[0-63] /dev/vcsa[0-63] VERSIONS
Introduced with version 1.1.92 of the Linux kernel. EXAMPLE
You may do a screendump on vt3 by switching to vt1 and typing cat /dev/vcs3 >foo. Note that the output does not contain newline charac- ters, so some processing may be required, like in fold -w 81 /dev/vcs3 | lpr or (horrors) setterm -dump 3 -file /proc/self/fd/1. The /dev/vcsa0 device is used for Braille support. This program displays the character and screen attributes under the cursor of the second virtual console, then changes the background color there: #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <sys/ioctl.h> #include <linux/vt.h> int main(void) { int fd; char *device = "/dev/vcsa2"; char *console = "/dev/tty2"; struct {unsigned char lines, cols, x, y;} scrn; unsigned short s; unsigned short mask; unsigned char ch, attrib; fd = open(console, O_RDWR); if (fd < 0) { perror(console); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (ioctl(fd, VT_GETHIFONTMASK, &mask) < 0) { perror("VT_GETHIFONTMASK"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } (void) close(fd); fd = open(device, O_RDWR); if (fd < 0) { perror(device); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } (void) read(fd, &scrn, 4); (void) lseek(fd, 4 + 2*(scrn.y*scrn.cols + scrn.x), 0); (void) read(fd, &s, 2); ch = s & 0xff; if (attrib & mask) ch |= 0x100; attrib = ((s & ~mask) >> 8); printf("ch='%c' attrib=0x%02x ", ch, attrib); attrib ^= 0x10; (void) lseek(fd, -1, 1); (void) write(fd, &attrib, 1); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
console(4), tty(4), ttyS(4), gpm(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-12-17 VCS(4)