Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: INodes...
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory INodes... Post 20990 by LivinFree on Wednesday 8th of May 2002 04:25:44 PM
Old 05-08-2002
For simplicity sake, think of an inode on a Unix
system like a sector on a DOS FAT filesystem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

inodes???

Does anyone know what command I can run to check how many inodes are in use on a specific filesystem. On Data General servers I used to run the df -k command to check the status of the inodes for all file system.s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soliberus
1 Replies

2. Solaris

inodes

hi i need to find all the files that r linked to the current file as i need to delete the file as well as few of its links :confused: thnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livemyway
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inodes

how is the location of inodes in the physical disk. are they sequential like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|inode2| ....| datablock1|datablock2|datablock3 or are they distributed among data blocks like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|datablock1|inode2|datablock2|datablock3|inode3 |datablock4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
3 Replies

4. Linux

Inodes

Any good sites, tutorials that explain Inodes clearly and completely ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin09
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Number of used inodes..?

Hello Experts How can i know Number of used and free inodes in a file system? thanx in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Increasing inodes

Hi , Can someone help me to increase "inode" in solaris 9? Thanks in advance, Gowtham (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
8 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

inodes

Hi, sorry to have written in other language i think i could do that. I would to know A file system use inodes indexed allocation as a method of allocating space. In the inode blocks are 10 references to direct, 1 indirect reference to a single block, 1 block indirect reference to a reference to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maryprin
1 Replies

8. Solaris

/var: out of inodes

Dear Forum, Please help me i have SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 with sun solaris 8,if i check inode in /var like below: # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 62354 310638 17% / /dev/md/dsk/d3 372992 0 100% /var... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredginting
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Inodes please

How can i trace Inode structure and modify it in UNIX kernel? We want to change the inode structure in the sense that we want to add a new field to the inode data structure. So we want to know how and where to trace inode (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Group_Inode
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum inodes

Hi, Is there a restriction in the number of inodes a particular directory can have in Solaris. If so how can we determine that. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: @bhi
3 Replies
NEWFS_MSDOS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    NEWFS_MSDOS(8)

NAME
newfs_msdos -- construct a new MS-DOS (FAT) file system SYNOPSIS
newfs_msdos [-N] [-B boot] [-F FAT-type] [-I volid] [-O OEM] [-S sector-size] [-a FAT-size] [-b block-size] [-c cluster-size] [-e dirents] [-f format] [-h heads] [-i info] [-k backup] [-m media] [-n FATs] [-o hidden] [-r reserved] [-s total] [-u track-size] [-v volume-name] special [disktype] DESCRIPTION
The newfs_msdos utility creates a FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32 file system on device special, using disktab(5) entry disktype to determine geome- try, if required. The options are as follows: -N Don't create a file system: just print out parameters. -B boot Get bootstrap from file. -F FAT-type FAT type (one of 12, 16, or 32). -I volid Volume ID. -O OEM OEM string (up to 8 characters). The default is "BSD 4.4" (with two spaces). -S sector-size Number of bytes per sector. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 128 through 32768. -a FAT-size Number of sectors per FAT. -b block-size File system block size (bytes per cluster). This should resolve to an acceptable number of sectors per cluster (see below). -c cluster-size Sectors per cluster. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 1 through 128. -e dirents Number of root directory entries (FAT12 and FAT16 only). -f format Specify a standard (floppy disk) format. The eight standard formats are (capacities in kilobytes): 160, 180, 320, 360, 640, 720, 1200, 1232, 1440, 2880. -h heads Number of drive heads. -i info Location of the file system info sector (FAT32 only). A value of 0xffff signifies no info sector. -k backup Location of the backup boot sector (FAT32 only). A value of 0xffff signifies no backup sector. -m media Media descriptor (acceptable range 0xf0 to 0xff). -n FATs Number of FATs. Acceptable values are 1 to 16 inclusive. The default is 2. -o hidden Number of hidden sectors. -r reserved Number of reserved sectors. -s total File system size, in sectors. -u track-size Number of sectors per track. -v volume-name Volume name (filesystem name), up to 11 characters. The name should consist of only those characters permitted in regular DOS (8+3) filenames. NOTES
FAT file system parameters occupy a "Boot Sector BPB (BIOS Parameter Block)" in the first of the "reserved" sectors which precede the actual file system. For reference purposes, this structure is presented below. struct bsbpb { u_int16_t bps; /* [-S] bytes per sector */ u_int8_t spc; /* [-c] sectors per cluster */ u_int16_t res; /* [-r] reserved sectors */ u_int8_t nft; /* [-n] number of FATs */ u_int16_t rde; /* [-e] root directory entries */ u_int16_t sec; /* [-s] total sectors */ u_int8_t mid; /* [-m] media descriptor */ u_int16_t spf; /* [-a] sectors per FAT */ u_int16_t spt; /* [-u] sectors per track */ u_int16_t hds; /* [-h] drive heads */ u_int32_t hid; /* [-o] hidden sectors */ u_int32_t bsec; /* [-s] big total sectors */ }; /* FAT32 extensions */ struct bsxbpb { u_int32_t bspf; /* [-a] big sectors per FAT */ u_int16_t xflg; /* control flags */ u_int16_t vers; /* file system version */ u_int32_t rdcl; /* root directory start cluster */ u_int16_t infs; /* [-i] file system info sector */ u_int16_t bkbs; /* [-k] backup boot sector */ }; EXAMPLES
newfs_msdos /dev/disk0s1 Create a file system, using default parameters, on /dev/disk0s1. newfs_msdos -f 1440 -v foo fd0 Create a standard 1.44M file system, with volume name "foo", on /dev/fd0. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), mount(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success and 1 on error. HISTORY
The newfs_msdos command appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
Robert Nordier <rnordier@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
July 6, 1998 BSD