Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tail command in SUN & HP_unix Post 20940 by killerserv on Wednesday 8th of May 2002 04:03:53 AM
Old 05-08-2002
This is some of the Sun Solaris cman page for tail,

The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/tail only:
-c number : The number option-argument must be a decimal integer whose sign affects the location in the file, measured in bytes, to begin the copying: + Copying starts relative to the beginning of the file. - Copying starts relative to the end of the file. none Copying starts relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -c+1 represents the first byte of the file, -c-1 the last.

-n number: Equivalent to -cnumber, except the starting loca- tion in the file is measured in lines instead of bytes. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -n+1 represents the first line of the file, -n-1 the last.

Anyway do post your OS Specs. are you running solaris 8 ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Implementing MORE,HEAD & TAIL

hai in my shell script i want to replace the following commands 1) more 2) head 3) tail i want to try all type of possible options avaliabul in the above commands please help in implementing those commands (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_s_r_c
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

head & tail

I've a major file which includes other files and now I wanna 'cut' the file in several minor parts....like .... find / -name "*.tmp" >filea wc -l filea >fileb sed -e '1s/ filea//' fileb >filec AMOUNT=`cat filec` if ; then cat file a |head -100l (ell) |tail -100l >filec cat file a |head... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: svennie
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command..

I was wondering how can I do this I have file myfile.txt wc -l is: 5 000 000 I have to remove first 1 000 000 lines from header.. I tryed with tail -4000000 myfile.txt>newfile.txt but it does not work... any help?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

sending mail using HP_Unix

hi, I got stuckup with the issue of sending mail with attachment from HP-UX. Can any one please help me in resolving the issue. I am giving the criteria which i want below, 1. To address. 2. Cc address. 3. Subject 4. File attachment(the file i am using is :-- filename_`date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: medisetti
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help: Sun Disk partitioning for Sun V240 & StorEdge 3300

Dear Sun gurus, I have Sun Fire V240 server with its StorEdge 3300 disk-array. Following are its disks appeared in format command. I have prepared its partitions thru format and metainit & metattach (may be i have made wrong steps, causing the errors below because I have done thru some document... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafeeq
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tail command

Hi All, My query seems to be silly but Iam unable to find where the exact problem lies. I have a script to unzip set of files here is the script #!/bin/ksh Count=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile | wc -l` while do Filename=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile |tail -$Count | head -1` cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Averaging in increments using awk & head/tail

Hi, I only have a very limited understanding and experience with writing code and I was hoping I could get some help. I have a dataset of two columns (txt format, numbers in each row separated by a tab) Eg. 1 5 2 5 3 6 4 7 5 6 6 6 7 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emred_Skye
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i use tail & grep in real time here??

Hi I have a file which is updated very frequently. Where in i wanted to use tail -f command in the script and wanted to grep for a particular word. But the issue is when i use tail -f filename|grep "word" ... it will show me blank until the word is found in the real time. if it shows... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tail -f Command help

Hi Team, Can anyone help me here: I have to access server logs via putty and these logs file is a trailing file (continously updating) with ERROR and WARNINGS... I need to know if I can pull this trailing file to a local drive so that I can do some higlighting on some keywords through Notepad... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitensetia
13 Replies
maze(1X)																  maze(1X)

NAME
maze - an automated X11 demo repeatedly creating and solving a random maze SYNOPSIS
maze [-S] [-r] [-g geometry] [-d display] OPTIONS
Full screen window option... Reverse video option... Specifies the window geometry to be used... Specifies the display to be used... The following lists the current functionality of various mouse button clicks; Clears the window and restarts maze... Toggles the maze pro- gram, first click -> stop, second click -> continue... Kills maze... DESCRIPTION
The maze program creates a "random" maze and then solves it with graphical feedback. LIMITATIONS
No color support... Expose events force a restart of maze... Currently, mouse actions are based on "raw" values [ Button1, Button2 and Button3 ] from the ButtonPress event... [ does not use pointer mapping ] COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1988 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. Mountain View, CA. All Rights Reserved Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, pro- vided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in sup- porting documentation, and that Sun not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without specific prior written permission. Sun makes no representations about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" with- out any express or implied warranty. SUN DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL SUN BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE. AUTHOR(S) Richard Hess [ X11 extensions ] {...}!uunet!cimshop!rhess Consilium, Mountain View, CA Dave Lemke [ X11 version ] lemke@sun.COM Sun MicroSystems, Mountain View, CA Martin Weiss [ SunView version ] Sun MicroSystems, Mountain View, CA maze(1X)