Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using varible/varible substitution in Perl/sed Search & Replace Post 20922 by auswipe on Tuesday 7th of May 2002 04:46:46 PM
Old 05-07-2002
One thing that I noticed is that the problem is if the line returned by grep has spaces in it. Then the list for i is broken down even further.

Example:

I took this simple script that I created for debugging and got the seperated output:

Code:
for i in `grep "#" source.txt`
  do
    echo "i is ${i}."
  done

Output:

Code:
FreeBSD:joeuser:/home/joeuser/sample $ ./imp.sh
i is #.
i is This.
i is is.
i is a.
i is test.
i is #.
i is This.
i is is.
i is a.
i is test.
i is #.
i is This.
i is is.
i is a.
i is test.
i is #.
i is This.
i is is.
i is a.
i is test.
i is #.
i is This.
i is is.
i is a.
i is test.

Is there any way to reset the delimiter for the for loop in a shell? I don't remember off the top of my balding head.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a varible into file in ksh

set filename $logDir/PyLog/$logname echo $filename >> logname.txt I am trying to write to write the varibale filename into a file logname.txt,it is not working could any one suggest y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space in varible?

Hey guys I have here what I am sure amounts to a pretty dumb question.... how do I assign a value of say 999 to a variable called "random number" (note the space between random and number). What would the script look like using borne shell? Thanks! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pattingtonjbear
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is this a varible type?

Wondering what $@ does - is it a variable of some kind? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jayden
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: varible-sized arrays?

How do you store strings in a variable-sized array? Background: I wrote a program earlier today to work with a very large text file. I chose Perl because it lets me do some nice formatting on the text I grab, instead of just using a shell script to con'cat'enate egrep results. The program... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute a varible in script having value including quotes?

Hi All, We need to run a Connect direct script on Unix server to send a file to Mainframe server and at mainframe end there need to run another job through Runtask with some parameters need to be passed from C:D (unix) to mainframe. My question is I have to pass parameters like DSN and FNAME as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrix001
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store/read multiple values from a varible

Hi, when I enter 'ps -ef| grep process_name'/'psu | grep process_name', i am getting multiple number of lines output( i mean multiple no of processes).how can i store it one by one and echo it in the same way(one by one). part of script is var1=$(remsh hostname -l username ps -ef|grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanzibbin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Varible with AWK in KSH

I am trying to set a variable from this AWK command in KSH but I keep getting an error that says my variable cannot be found. LOADNO = $(awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt) If I just run awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt I get the right value but as soon as I try to assign this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cvigeant
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - how to pass varible

I want to pass variable to below awk statement awk '/abc123/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log I tried -v like below, but its not working. Please help!!! awk -v var1="abc123" '/var1/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log Input file is: sftp_log_20150317.log ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aa_app varible in Linux

Hi, I am analyzing linux script, below is the following script line ${AA_APP:-/opt/ty/aa}/sbin/save_file_list ApplEnv.prererun ${AA_APP:-/opt/ty/aa}/sbin/ApplEnv.install_save_list I really dont understand what this line does, can someone explain me. AA_APP is variable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)