Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: days since 1970
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers days since 1970 Post 2091 by PxT on Wednesday 18th of April 2001 01:52:44 PM
Old 04-18-2001
This:
perl -e ' $days=int(time()/86400);print "$days\n"; '

is slightly more correct, but the example given should work (and does for me).

Or save a variable and do:
perl -e 'print int(time()/86400)."\n"'

Or do it in your shell:

let a=`date +%s`/86400 ; echo $a

(requires GNU date)

[Edited by PxT on 04-18-2001 at 01:59 PM]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls latest 4 days or specify days of files in the directory

Hi, I would like to list latest 2 days, 3 days or 4 days,etc of files in the directory... how? is it using ls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date to second since 1970

Hello, I have found a piece of code which converts seconds elapsed since 1970 for an input date. Can anyone please explain a little bit the code below: #!/bin/bash # function to reproduce UNIX time() value second() { set -- $(TZ=GMT date '+%Y %m %d') local y=$1 m=1$2 d=1$3 ((m-=103,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date for two days or 3 days ago

i need a script that can tell me the date 2 days ago or 3 days ago. please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

before x days

hello, I needed to put value of date - 20 days in certain variable like this: before20d=`TZ=MET+480 date +%Y%m%d` echo $before20d value just perfect ...what I need and if I execute "date": Wed Nov 10 11:58:43 MET 2010 on the other solaris platform if I execute this I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job running for some days and is not running for some days

Hi.. i have written a shell script and made this script to run on every day night 11: 55 pm using a cron job. This cron job running for some days and is not running for some day. but i need this script to run every day night. Please help me. Here is the cron tab entries, 55 23 * * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

6. AIX

The result of Jan 01 (1970) by last command

Dears, My boss asked me to record the login information on AIX server, so I used "last" command to get i want. But it is so strange when i get a record the login date is Jan,01 1970 (as attached picture). does anyone know what happen? Thanks and Regards, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zack.Chiang
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working out days of the week and processing file in 3 working days

Hi guys i need advice on the approach to this one...... I have a file say called Thisfile.20130524.txt i need to work out from the date 20130524 what day of the week that was and then process the file in 3 working days. (so not counting saturday or sunday....(will not worry about bank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twinion
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write Linux script to convert timestamps older than 1.1.1970 to 1.1.1980

I am having problems because some of my files have timestamps that are earlier that 1.1.1970, the Unix start of time convention. So I would like to write a script that finds all files in home folder and subfolders with timestamps earlier than 1.1.1970 and converts them to 1.1.1980. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: francus
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find a file that's modified more than 2 days ago but less than 5 days ago?

How to find a file that's modified more than 2 days ago but was modified less than 5 days ago by use of any Linux utility ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. Note that using -l in an environment which changes the GMT offset (such as for BST or DST) can lead to unpredictable results! -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools). Available in version 2.2.9 and later. logfile The path plus basename of the logfile. If logfile includes any '%' characters, it is treated as a format string for strftime(3). Otherwise, the suffix .nnnnnnnnnn is automatically added and is the time in seconds. Both formats compute the start time from the beginning of the current period. For example, if a rotation time of 86400 is specified, the hour, minute, and second fields created from the strftime(3) format will all be zero, referring to the beginning of the current 24-hour period (midnight). rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesizeM The maximum file size in megabytes followed by the letter M to specify size rather than time. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2008-05-10 ROTATELOGS(8)