Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl scripting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Perl scripting Post 20893 by crawler on Tuesday 7th of May 2002 06:23:49 AM
Old 05-07-2002
edited post

[Snipped by LivinFree]
Crawler - that was innapropriate.

It was counter-productive and a waste of time.

"A little knowledge is a scary thing"

Last edited by LivinFree; 05-11-2002 at 01:45 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Perl scripting

hi Can any one suggest me book for perl scripting on UNIX Platform. Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl scripting

Hi does anyone know how to ouput "I love scripting" to "scripting love I" without using reverse() function in perl? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in perl scripting.

Hi, To run a perl script i am giving command like this in DOS prompt d:> perl D:\<dir_name>\<dir_name>\sample.pl Its throwing the following error while running the above syntax error at <eval 4> line 1, near "use D:" Can anyone help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help configuring Active Perl on Windows Vista.: Perl Scripting on Windows

Hi All, Need help configuring Active Perl on Windows Vista. I am trying to install Active Perl on Windows Vista. The version of Active Perl i am trying to install is : ActivePerl 5.10.1 Build 1006 After installing it through cmd, When i try to run perl -v to check the version, i get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

8. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in PERL Scripting

I am having file xyz.log Its content is like this int main() { d; #ifdef e; f; #else g; #ifdef h. #else i; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naaj_ila
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Scripting

I have create this shell script #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "Usage: ./script <filename>" exit 1 elif ; then fname="$1" fi output="output.txt" i=0 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evelin90
11 Replies
INTRO(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  INTRO(1)

NAME
PDL::Intro - Introduction to the Perl Data Language Version 2.0 "Why is it that we entertain the belief that for every purpose odd numbers are the most effectual?" - Pliny the Elder. Karl Glazebrook [karlglazebrook@yahoo.com] DESCRIPTION
Perl is an extremely good and versatile scripting language, well suited to beginners and allows rapid prototyping. However until recently it did not support data structures which allowed it to do fast number crunching. However with the development of Perl v5, Perl acquired Objects. To put it simply users can define their own special data types, and write custom routines to manipulate them either in low level languages (C and Fortran) or in Perl itself. This has been fully exploited by the PDL developers. The "PDL" module is a complete Object-Oriented extension to Perl (although you don't have to know what an object is to use it) which allows large N-dimensional data sets, such as large images, spectra, time series, etc to be stored efficiently and manipulated en masse. For example with the PDL module we can write the perl code "$a=$b+$c", where $b and $c are large datasets (e.g. 2048x2048 images), and get the result in only a fraction of a second. PDL variables (or piddles as they have come to be known) support a wide range of fundamental data types - arrays can be bytes, short inte- gers (signed or unsigned), long integers, floats or double precision floats. And because of the Object-Oriented nature of PDL new cus- tomised datatypes can be derived from them. As well as the PDL modules, that can be used by normal perl programs, PerlDL comes with a command line perl shell, called perldl, which supports command line editing. In combination with the various PDL graphics modules this allows data to be easily played with and visu- alised. SYNOPSIS
This manual page provides a general introduction to the underlying philosophy of PDL. For an overview over the rest of the documentation see PDL::Index. As a beginner the following documents are particulary recommended: PDL::Impatient Quick summary - PDL for the impatient PDL::FAQ The Frequently Asked Questions list for PDL. PDL::Philosophy Why another matrix language? PDL::Indexing An introduction to using smart indices in PDL. PDL::NiceSlice The all important slicing of piddles. AUTHOR
Copyright (C) Karl Glazebrook (karlglazebrook@yahoo.com), Tuomas J. Lukka, (lukka@husc.harvard.edu) and Christian Soeller (c.soeller@auck- land.ac.nz) 1997-2002. Commercial reproduction of this documentation in a different format is forbidden without permission. perl v5.8.0 2002-03-18 INTRO(1)