Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: days since 1970
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers days since 1970 Post 2088 by Neo on Wednesday 18th of April 2001 12:41:56 PM
Old 04-18-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by mib
[B]perl  -e  ' $days=int(time()/86400);    print $days; '
will do the trick.
Hmmm. I tried the perl command for fun and got:

Code:
www# perl  -e  ' $days=int(time()/86400);    print $days; '
www# www#

Maybe missing a \n (newline)?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls latest 4 days or specify days of files in the directory

Hi, I would like to list latest 2 days, 3 days or 4 days,etc of files in the directory... how? is it using ls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date to second since 1970

Hello, I have found a piece of code which converts seconds elapsed since 1970 for an input date. Can anyone please explain a little bit the code below: #!/bin/bash # function to reproduce UNIX time() value second() { set -- $(TZ=GMT date '+%Y %m %d') local y=$1 m=1$2 d=1$3 ((m-=103,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date for two days or 3 days ago

i need a script that can tell me the date 2 days ago or 3 days ago. please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

before x days

hello, I needed to put value of date - 20 days in certain variable like this: before20d=`TZ=MET+480 date +%Y%m%d` echo $before20d value just perfect ...what I need and if I execute "date": Wed Nov 10 11:58:43 MET 2010 on the other solaris platform if I execute this I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job running for some days and is not running for some days

Hi.. i have written a shell script and made this script to run on every day night 11: 55 pm using a cron job. This cron job running for some days and is not running for some day. but i need this script to run every day night. Please help me. Here is the cron tab entries, 55 23 * * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

6. AIX

The result of Jan 01 (1970) by last command

Dears, My boss asked me to record the login information on AIX server, so I used "last" command to get i want. But it is so strange when i get a record the login date is Jan,01 1970 (as attached picture). does anyone know what happen? Thanks and Regards, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zack.Chiang
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working out days of the week and processing file in 3 working days

Hi guys i need advice on the approach to this one...... I have a file say called Thisfile.20130524.txt i need to work out from the date 20130524 what day of the week that was and then process the file in 3 working days. (so not counting saturday or sunday....(will not worry about bank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twinion
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write Linux script to convert timestamps older than 1.1.1970 to 1.1.1980

I am having problems because some of my files have timestamps that are earlier that 1.1.1970, the Unix start of time convention. So I would like to write a script that finds all files in home folder and subfolders with timestamps earlier than 1.1.1970 and converts them to 1.1.1980. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: francus
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find a file that's modified more than 2 days ago but less than 5 days ago?

How to find a file that's modified more than 2 days ago but was modified less than 5 days ago by use of any Linux utility ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 character alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)