Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAID Unix command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers RAID Unix command Post 20860 by thehoghunter on Monday 6th of May 2002 02:13:22 PM
Old 05-06-2002
You could check to see if the software is loaded but that doesn't mean it is being used. You may also miss the software (Solaris has it's own - DiskSuite but many use the Veritas Volume Manager). Each OS will be different so the easiest way to see it is to use df -k.

Veritas commands that may help you: vxprint, vxstat, vxdisk list.
DiskSuite (Solaris only): metastat

I'm sure the commands to check on AIX, HP-UX, and others are completely different - which is why df -k is used.
thehoghunter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID command

Hi there, could someone please tell me, what the command is called, that does the calculations which help the system to fill gaps, resulting out of loss of discs, in RAID5?! Thank you in advance, Felida (something like ...all?!) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felida
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Sco 5.0.7 Raid Problems

Hello there guys , I have this problem , i have this hp smart array 641 raid card and i'm trying to install sco unix 5.0.7 and is says no root disk found right before the instalation is about to start. I know that you have to load the driver befor the install bud i really cannot find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

RAID 0 on Unix

I was wanting to know if anyone knew how to setup RAID 0 on an old HP Unix server. It's for where I work and my boss has two hard drives and wants the second to take over if the first one fails hence RAID 0. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmachine04
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view Drive/RAID config in UNIX...

How do you view Drive/RAID configuration in UNIX? We are running an ML370 with 6 drives in it... Version: Sco 5.2.0 Sco Openserver Release 5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpoulson
2 Replies

5. SCO

raid 1 configuration in sco open unix

Dear Team , how i can configure raid 1 (mirroring) using ide hdd in sco open unix 5 i have two 80gb identical hdd (same make/model) thanx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
0 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Hardware RAID in HP Unix rp3440

Hi Gurus, Can anyone tell me the Hardware RAID configuration in HP Unix rp3440 model server containing HP UX B.11.11 OS version. Thanks in Advance. BR, Prasanth (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanth438
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

9. SCO

Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company. I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
21 Replies
vx_emerg_start(1M)														vx_emerg_start(1M)

NAME
vx_emerg_start - start Veritas Volume Manager from recovery media SYNOPSIS
vx_emerg_start [-m] [-r root_daname] hostname DESCRIPTION
The vx_emerg_start utility can be used to start Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) when a system is booted from alternate media, or when a sys- tem has been booted into Maintenance Mode Boot (MMB) mode. This allows a rootable VxVM configuration to be repaired in the event of a cat- astrophic failure. vx_emerg_start verifies that the /etc/vx/volboot file exists, and checks the command-line arguments against the contents of this file. OPTIONS
-m Mounts the root file system contained on the rootvol volume after VxVM has been started. Prior to being mounted, the rootvol volume is started and fsck is run on the root file system. -r root_daname Specifies the disk access name of one of the members of the root disk group that is to be imported. This option can be used to spec- ify the appropriate root disk group when multiple generations of the same root disk group exist on the system under repair. If this option is not specified, the desired root disk group may not be imported if multiple disk groups with the same name exist on the sys- tem, and if one of these disk groups has a more recent timestamp. ARGUMENTS
hostname Specifies the system name (nodename) of the host system being repaired. This name is used to allow the desired root disk group to be imported. It must match the name of the system being repaired, as it is unlikely to be recorded on the recovery media from which you booted the system. NOTES
HP-UX Maintenance Mode Boot (MMB) is intended for recovery from catastrophic failures that have prevented the target machine from booting. If a VxVM root volume is mirrored, only one mirror is active when the system is in MMB mode. Any writes that are made to the root file sys- tem in this mode can corrupt this file system when both mirrors are subsequently configured. The vx_emerg_start script allows VxVM to be started while a system is in MMB mode, and marks the non-boot mirror plexes as stale. This prevents corruption of the root volume or file system by forcing a subsequent recovery from the boot mirror to the non-boot mirrors to take place. USAGE
After VxVM has been started, various recovery options can be performed depending on the nature of the problem. It is recommended that you use the vxprint command to determine the state of the configuration. One common problem is when all the plexes of the root disk are stale as shown in the following sample output from vxprint: v rootvol root DISABLED 393216 - ACTIVE - pl rootvol-01 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - sd rootdisk01-02 rootvol-01 ENABLED 393216 0 - - pl rootvol-02 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - pl rootvol-02 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - sd rootdisk02-02 rootvol-02 ENABLED 393216 0 - - In this case, the volume can usually be repaired by using the vxvol command as shown here: vxvol -g 4.1ROOT -f start rootvol If the volume is mirrored, it is put in read-write-back recovery mode. As the command is run in the foreground, it does not exit until the recovery is complete. It is then recommended that you run fsck on the root file system, and mount it, before attempting to reboot the sys- tem: fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/vx/rdsk/4.1ROOT/rootvol mkdir /tmp_mnt mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/4.1ROOT/rootvol /tmp_mnt SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mkdir(1M), mount(1M), vxintro(1M), vxprint(1M), vxvol(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vx_emerg_start(1M)