Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot from external cdrom
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers boot from external cdrom Post 20817 by agarcia000 on Sunday 5th of May 2002 10:18:27 PM
Old 05-05-2002
If it is Solaris, from the "ok" prompt
boot cdrom

If it is Linux Red Hat
You must change the boot sequence in BIOS
Put Removeable device media first in the boot sequence.

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cdrom boot problems

Hi Everyone, I have a problem. I'm trying too reinstall sun solaris 8.0 on may Sunfire 280r but solaris 9.0 is all ready installed. I tried to boot from cd rom it keeps telling me that File does not seem executable. I need to get Solaris 8.0 on this system. I have boot all ready in single mode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
4 Replies

2. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Can't boot from cdrom at ok prompt

I want to install Solaris 9 on SUN ULTRA 10. The cdrom is attached to an ide controller. The server is currently running Solaris 2.6 I insert Solaris cd 1 of 2 and at the ok prompt I type boot cdrom i get the error below Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f file and args:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Msororaji
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Boot from cdrom

i am having a problem when trying to boot from cdrom. I received the below message system is not bootable, boot command is disabledfound how can i fix this. also what is the key combination on ordinary keyboard for STOP+A. Is it ctrl+break? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
2 Replies

5. Solaris

not able to boot from cdrom

Hi all am trying to boot the system from cdrom in single user mode , however when i am giving command boot cdrom -s i am getting below error Boot Device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0: f file and args: Can't read disk label Can't open disk label package can,t open boot device ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
17 Replies

6. Solaris

solaris 10 errors mount external usb Harddisk zfs on a nas without cdrom

Hi, I try to mount an external USB HD on a solaris 10 without any success. Machine hardware: i86pc OS version: 5.10 Processor type: i386 Hardware: i86pc The HD is a zfs, but I installed this with a Ubuntu 8.10. iostat -En displays this: --> so the system... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: edubidu
0 Replies

7. Solaris

can't boot cdrom

iam traying to install o/s in spark machine it showing error ok >boot cdrom is showing error short disk read failed to read superblock the file just loaded does not appear to excutable how to solve this can u help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot cdrom - install

Hi community, Does anyone can tell me the difference between "boot cdrom" and "boot cdrom - install" ? Thank you very much:D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
3 Replies

9. Hardware

Cannot boot from scsi cdrom

I have a server with a scsi raid controller (for hard drives) and a scsi controller (for tape drive and cd-rom). I am trying to boot from the cd-rom but can't. During boot up, bootable media is detected in the cd-rom but the system will not boot from it. BIOS for the raid controller installs but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powwm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cannot boot cdrom -s

Good Afternoon, I'm trying to boot from cdrom so I: bash-2.05# init 0 {1} ok boot cdrom -s and I get: Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s Boot Device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s Can't read disk label. Can't open disk label package Evaluating: Can't open boot... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
13 Replies
GPTZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     GPTZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
gptzfsboot -- GPT bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptzfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. gptzfsboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition of a GPT-partitioned disk with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptzfsboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. BOOTING
gptzfsboot tries to find all ZFS pools that are composed of BIOS-visible hard disks or partitions on them. gptzfsboot looks for ZFS device labels on all visible disks and in discovered supported partitions for all supported partition scheme types. The search starts with the disk from which gptzfsboot itself was loaded. Other disks are probed in BIOS defined order. After a disk is probed and gptzfsboot determines that the whole disk is not a ZFS pool member, the individual partitions are probed in their partition table order. Currently GPT and MBR partition schemes are supported. With the GPT scheme, only partitions of type freebsd-zfs are probed. The first pool seen during probing is used as a default boot pool. The filesystem specified by the bootfs property of the pool is used as a default boot filesystem. If the bootfs property is not set, then the root filesystem of the pool is used as the default. zfsloader(8) is loaded from the boot filesystem. If /boot.config or /boot/config is present in the boot filesystem, boot options are read from it in the same way as boot(8). The ZFS GUIDs of the first successfully probed device and the first detected pool are made available to zfsloader(8) in the vfs.zfs.boot.primary_vdev and vfs.zfs.boot.primary_pool variables. USAGE
Normally gptzfsboot will boot in fully automatic mode. However, like boot(8), it is possible to interrupt the automatic boot process and interact with gptzfsboot through a prompt. gptzfsboot accepts all the options that boot(8) supports. The filesystem specification and the path to zfsloader(8) are different from boot(8). The format is [zfs:pool/filesystem:][/path/to/loader] Both the filesystem and the path can be specified. If only a path is specified, then the default filesystem is used. If only a pool and filesystem are specified, then /boot/zfsloader is used as a path. Additionally, the status command can be used to query information about discovered pools. The output format is similar to that of zpool status (see zpool(8)). The configured or automatically determined ZFS boot filesystem is stored in the zfsloader(8) loaddev variable, and also set as the initial value of the currdev variable. FILES
/boot/gptzfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
gptzfsboot is typically installed in combination with a ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)). To install gptzfsboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 gptzfsboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), boot(8), gpart(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
gptzfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
gptzfsboot looks for ZFS meta-data only in MBR partitions (known on FreeBSD as slices). It does not look into BSD disklabel(8) partitions that are traditionally called partitions. If a disklabel partition happens to be placed so that ZFS meta-data can be found at the fixed off- sets relative to a slice, then gptzfsboot will recognize the partition as a part of a ZFS pool, but this is not guaranteed to happen. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD