Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory backup NetApp using dump command Post 20800 by yellowfish on Sunday 5th of May 2002 04:38:31 AM
Old 05-05-2002
Question backup NetApp using dump command

I have been trying to backup my NetApp /vol/vol0 data to local tape drive. It is around 68GB.
The tape I am using is DLT tape and should be able to handle 70GB data. However, dump always
aborted around reaching 57~58GB data.
Tape drive is attached on NetApp.

1st try to dump /vol/vol0 to local drive (68GB) => dump aborted
2nd try to dump /vol/vol0/home to local tape drive (59GB) =>dump aborted
Any idea?

Here are some info
==========================================
NetApp filer name: netmgtfs1

root@woodstock> uname -a
SunOS woodstock 5.6 Generic_105181-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

root@woodstock> rsh netmgtfs1 "mt -f nrst0a status"
Tape drive: Digital DLT7000
Format: 85937 bpi 70 GB (w/comp)
fileno = 0 blockno = 0 resid = 0

root@woodstock> rsh netmgtfs1 "df "
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/vol/vol0/ 69580432 66787380 2793052 96% /vol/vol0/
/vol/vol0/.snapshot 17395108 2353816 15041292 14% /vol/vol0/.snapshot

root@woodstock> mount -F nfs netmgtfs1:/vol/vol0 /mnt
root@woodstock> ls /mnt
PROBLEM090199/ heaven1_org@ nms/ sunroot/
etc/ home/
global2/ nmd/

root@woodstock> du -sk home

root@woodstock>!!
rsh netmgtfs1 "dump 0uf nrst0a /vol/vol0/home"

DUMP: creating "/vol/vol0/../snapshot_for_backup.201" snapshot.
DUMP: Using Partial Volume Dump
DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat May 4 00:39:57 2002.
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch.
DUMP: Dumping /vol/vol0/home to nrst0a
DUMP: mapping (Pass I)[regular files]
DUMP: mapping (Pass II)[directories]
DUMP: estimated 58520516 tape blocks.
DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
DUMP: We have written 1785109 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 3613470 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 5714735 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 7939329 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 53961774 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 55563549 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 57590637 KB to tape.
DUMP: DUMP IS ABORTED
DUMP: Deleting "/vol/vol0/../snapshot_for_backup.201" snapshot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump Command in Linux

Can anybody tell me please how to use the "dump" command in Linux command. dump -0u /destination /sourcefile or device file. Please correct me. -regards -Iftikhar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedifti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

For ufsdump you type in a "dump level". The man command mentions levels 0-9 and gives examples. Can anyone define what each level refers to? What does a level 0 dump mean? What is a level 9 dump? What are the differences? Thanks in advance:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Patman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

Hi all, I am using embedded linux with my own RFS. But I want to use the dump command to try and solve some errors, but I don't know in wich package I can find the dump command. I hope someone can help me. With kind regards, Jurrian Dubbeldam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jurrian
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to monitor dump backup

I need to monitor our nightly backups and find a way to send an email out if the nightly backup does not kick off or fails. Thanks for your help! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim73
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command fault

im performing the dump command : dump 0uaf /dev/hdc /home an error msg appers says: DUMP: you cant update the dumpdates file while dumping a subdirectory DUMP: the entire dump is aborted can anyone help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: semosam
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a command to close a program with dump?

I'm running into some problems using pkill in my scripts. I'm using a program that needs to dump. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjaaron
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Netapp filer details - command?

What command can I use to find out details about a netapp filer. I have a directory that is a filer i would like to know details about the source host/folder that it points to. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjohnson
2 Replies
DUMP(5) 							File Formats Manual							   DUMP(5)

NAME
dump, ddate - incremental dump format SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ino.h> # include <dumprestor.h> DESCRIPTION
Tapes used by dump and restor(1) contain: a header record two groups of bit map records a group of records describing directories a group of records describing files The format of the header record and of the first record of each description as given in the include file <dumprestor.h> is: NTREC is the number of 512 byte records in a physical tape block. MLEN is the number of bits in a bit map word. MSIZ is the number of bit map words. The TS_ entries are used in the c_type field to indicate what sort of header this is. The types and their meanings are as follows: TS_TAPE Tape volume label TS_INODE A file or directory follows. The c_dinode field is a copy of the disk inode and contains bits telling what sort of file this is. TS_BITS A bit map follows. This bit map has a one bit for each inode that was dumped. TS_ADDR A subrecord of a file description. See c_addr below. TS_END End of tape record. TS_CLRI A bit map follows. This bit map contains a zero bit for all inodes that were empty on the file system when dumped. MAGIC All header records have this number in c_magic. CHECKSUM Header records checksum to this value. The fields of the header structure are as follows: c_type The type of the header. c_date The date the dump was taken. c_ddate The date the file system was dumped from. c_volume The current volume number of the dump. c_tapea The current number of this (512-byte) record. c_inumber The number of the inode being dumped if this is of type TS_INODE. c_magic This contains the value MAGIC above, truncated as needed. c_checksum This contains whatever value is needed to make the record sum to CHECKSUM. c_dinode This is a copy of the inode as it appears on the file system; see filsys(5). c_count The count of characters in c_addr. c_addr An array of characters describing the blocks of the dumped file. A character is zero if the block associated with that character was not present on the file system, otherwise the character is non-zero. If the block was not present on the file system, no block was dumped; the block will be restored as a hole in the file. If there is not sufficient space in this record to describe all of the blocks in a file, TS_ADDR records will be scattered through the file, each one picking up where the last left off. Each volume except the last ends with a tapemark (read as an end of file). The last volume ends with a TS_END record and then the tape- mark. The structure idates describes an entry of the file /etc/ddate where dump history is kept. The fields of the structure are: id_name The dumped filesystem is `/dev/id_nam'. id_incno The level number of the dump tape; see dump(1). id_ddate The date of the incremental dump in system format see types(5). FILES
/etc/ddate SEE ALSO
dump(1), dumpdir(1), restor(1), filsys(5), types(5) DUMP(5)