Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory backup NetApp using dump command Post 20800 by yellowfish on Sunday 5th of May 2002 04:38:31 AM
Old 05-05-2002
Question backup NetApp using dump command

I have been trying to backup my NetApp /vol/vol0 data to local tape drive. It is around 68GB.
The tape I am using is DLT tape and should be able to handle 70GB data. However, dump always
aborted around reaching 57~58GB data.
Tape drive is attached on NetApp.

1st try to dump /vol/vol0 to local drive (68GB) => dump aborted
2nd try to dump /vol/vol0/home to local tape drive (59GB) =>dump aborted
Any idea?

Here are some info
==========================================
NetApp filer name: netmgtfs1

root@woodstock> uname -a
SunOS woodstock 5.6 Generic_105181-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

root@woodstock> rsh netmgtfs1 "mt -f nrst0a status"
Tape drive: Digital DLT7000
Format: 85937 bpi 70 GB (w/comp)
fileno = 0 blockno = 0 resid = 0

root@woodstock> rsh netmgtfs1 "df "
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/vol/vol0/ 69580432 66787380 2793052 96% /vol/vol0/
/vol/vol0/.snapshot 17395108 2353816 15041292 14% /vol/vol0/.snapshot

root@woodstock> mount -F nfs netmgtfs1:/vol/vol0 /mnt
root@woodstock> ls /mnt
PROBLEM090199/ heaven1_org@ nms/ sunroot/
etc/ home/
global2/ nmd/

root@woodstock> du -sk home

root@woodstock>!!
rsh netmgtfs1 "dump 0uf nrst0a /vol/vol0/home"

DUMP: creating "/vol/vol0/../snapshot_for_backup.201" snapshot.
DUMP: Using Partial Volume Dump
DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat May 4 00:39:57 2002.
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch.
DUMP: Dumping /vol/vol0/home to nrst0a
DUMP: mapping (Pass I)[regular files]
DUMP: mapping (Pass II)[directories]
DUMP: estimated 58520516 tape blocks.
DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
DUMP: We have written 1785109 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 3613470 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 5714735 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 7939329 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 53961774 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 55563549 KB to tape.
DUMP: We have written 57590637 KB to tape.
DUMP: DUMP IS ABORTED
DUMP: Deleting "/vol/vol0/../snapshot_for_backup.201" snapshot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump Command in Linux

Can anybody tell me please how to use the "dump" command in Linux command. dump -0u /destination /sourcefile or device file. Please correct me. -regards -Iftikhar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedifti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

For ufsdump you type in a "dump level". The man command mentions levels 0-9 and gives examples. Can anyone define what each level refers to? What does a level 0 dump mean? What is a level 9 dump? What are the differences? Thanks in advance:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Patman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command

Hi all, I am using embedded linux with my own RFS. But I want to use the dump command to try and solve some errors, but I don't know in wich package I can find the dump command. I hope someone can help me. With kind regards, Jurrian Dubbeldam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jurrian
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to monitor dump backup

I need to monitor our nightly backups and find a way to send an email out if the nightly backup does not kick off or fails. Thanks for your help! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim73
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump command fault

im performing the dump command : dump 0uaf /dev/hdc /home an error msg appers says: DUMP: you cant update the dumpdates file while dumping a subdirectory DUMP: the entire dump is aborted can anyone help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: semosam
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a command to close a program with dump?

I'm running into some problems using pkill in my scripts. I'm using a program that needs to dump. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjaaron
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Netapp filer details - command?

What command can I use to find out details about a netapp filer. I have a directory that is a filer i would like to know details about the source host/folder that it points to. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjohnson
2 Replies
READ_TAPE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						      READ_TAPE(8)

NAME
read_tape - Reads volume dumps from a backup tape to a file SYNOPSIS
read_tape -tape <tape device> -restore <# of volumes to restore> -skip <# of volumes to skip> -file <filename> [-scan] [-noask] [-label] [-vheaders] [-verbose] [-help] DESCRIPTION
read_tape reads an OpenAFS backup tape and prompts for each dump file to save. This command does not require any OpenAFS infrastructure. This command does not need an OpenAFS client or server to be available, which is not the case with the backup(8) command. The dump files will be named for the Read/Write name of the volume restored. After saving each dump file, vos restore or restorevol can be used to restore the volume into AFS and non-AFS space respectively. read_tape reads the tape while skipping the specified number of volumes. After that, it restores the specified number of volumes. read_tape doesn't rewind the tape so that it may be used multiple times in succession. OPTIONS
-tape <tape device> Specifies the tape device from which to restore. -restore <# of volumes to restore> Specifies the number of volumes to restore from tape. -skip <# of volumes to skip> Specifies the number of volumes to skip before starting the restore. -file <filename> Specifies an alternate name for the restored volume dump file rather than the default of the volume name. -scan Scans the tape. -noask Doesn't prompt for each volume. -label Displays the full dump label. -vheaders Displays the full volume headers. -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command will read the third through fifth volumes from the tape device /dev/tape without prompting: % read_tape -tape /dev/tape -skip 2 -restore 3 -noask PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have access to read and write to the specified tape device. SEE ALSO
backup(8), restorevol(1), vos_restore(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 READ_TAPE(8)