Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Booting in read-only
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Booting in read-only Post 2073 by skirao on Wednesday 18th of April 2001 03:00:05 AM
Old 04-18-2001
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by jwbrown
I just got a couple of Solaris boxes (real old, but free) and one of them is booting and says it is in read only mode. I ran fsck but with no change is there some option on fsck I need to use or what could this be? Thanks for any help

Hi,
This could be a problem with the root slice..So boot from the CD and try checking ur root slice using fsck.Or there might be a script in one of ur RC directories which boots the os in read-only mode.Write again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Booting

Hi all, I've managed to get Mandrake 9 installed by disconnecting my 2 windows' drives. When I reconnect them Mandrake wants to take over. I figure it's time for the BootManager, or should I use a Linux specific one like Lilo? Or have I already stuffed up by not running Lilo at time of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onestepto
2 Replies

2. Linux

Problems booting RH 8

I installed RH8 on Thinkpad R51. The install went smooth, but when I tried to boot, it hanged at: PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on Pci bus 00 device f9, VID=8086, ID=24ca PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions. PCI_IDE: (ide_setup_pci_device:) could not enable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: etc
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris m/c not booting

My Solaris machine is not booting.It just stops at the point Boot device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/disk@0,0:a File and args: Whether i try boot or boot -s it is stopping at this point.. I tried boot cdom -s.It went into single user mode but I am not able to run a fsck in this mode. Right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lydiaEd
1 Replies

4. Solaris

booting problem

any one can help me. my system running on solaris 2.7. recently there is sudden power failure while system running. after that unable to boot the system. it is giving comment that "can not open /etc/path_to_inst" and then returning back to "OK" after comment of termination. The processor is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabir
10 Replies

5. Solaris

booting from CD

Hello.. I am Still Learing Solaris .. when i try to Install Solaris 8 from its CD...i pressed STOP + A and i get a OK prompt screen. I then typed, "boot cdrom" and i am getting this error message. " FATAL: system is not bootable, boot command is disabled." How do we enable the boot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem booting

Dear List, While I was adding second hard disk to my system, I changed the /etc/fstab file by adding the following line: /mnt/sdb1 /dev/sdb1 ext3 default 2 1 Now system does not boot and gives the following error: Checking filesystems /: Clean, 309260/18495840 files, 1064776/18486790... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siavoush
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Error while booting the os

ater successfully completeing my solaris 10 installation i am not able boot the machine properly . my machine is continously rebooting after switching on the machine. what the problem ? is it the boot process problem or some other if any body got the solution mail it my email id (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravinder singh
11 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problems with booting

Hi, I've just installed Centos 5.3 x86_64 into a CPU. I've done a yum update to update the version to Centos 5.4. I then installed mysql, php, apache and phpmyadmin into the system. After the installation of phpmyadmin the screen suddenly goes blank, but the monitor is still on, and the cpu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Dual Booting - Solaris image CD doesn't read in BIOS

I am trying to install solaris 10-x86 as second OS on top of Windows XP. I have downloaded iso image from Oracle website and burned into bootable cd. when I loaded into CD-drive and made changes in BIOS to boot from CD. Its not reading from CD drive. After restarting the system with CD(solaris... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunSolars_admin
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Errors while booting

sol10 sendmail : unable to qualify domain name (local host) ---- using short name sol10 sendmail : My unqualified host name (local host) keystore version failure (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nash
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-FSCK@.SERVICE(8)				       systemd-fsck@.service					  SYSTEMD-FSCK@.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-fsck@.service, systemd-fsck-root.service, systemd-fsck - File system checker logic SYNOPSIS
systemd-fsck@.service systemd-fsck-root.service /lib/systemd/systemd-fsck DESCRIPTION
systemd-fsck@.service and systemd-fsck-root.service are services responsible for file system checks. They are instantiated for each device that is configured for file system checking. systemd-fsck-root.service is responsible for file system checks on the root file system, but only if the root filesystem was not checked in the initramfs. systemd-fsck@.service is used for all other file systems and for the root file system in the initramfs. These services are started at boot if passno in /etc/fstab for the file system is set to a value greater than zero. The file system check for root is performed before the other file systems. Other file systems may be checked in parallel, except when they are on the same rotating disk. systemd-fsck does not know any details about specific filesystems, and simply executes file system checkers specific to each filesystem type (/sbin/fsck.*). This helper will decide if the filesystem should actually be checked based on the time since last check, number of mounts, unclean unmount, etc. If a file system check fails for a service without nofail, emergency mode is activated, by isolating to emergency.target. KERNEL COMMAND LINE
systemd-fsck understands these kernel command line parameters: fsck.mode= One of "auto", "force", "skip". Controls the mode of operation. The default is "auto", and ensures that file system checks are done when the file system checker deems them necessary. "force" unconditionally results in full file system checks. "skip" skips any file system checks. fsck.repair= One of "preen", "yes", "no". Controls the mode of operation. The default is "preen", and will automatically repair problems that can be safely fixed. "yes" will answer yes to all questions by fsck and "no" will answer no to all questions. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), fsck(8), systemd-quotacheck.service(8), fsck.btrfs(8), fsck.cramfs(8), fsck.ext4(8), fsck.fat(8), fsck.hfsplus(8), fsck.minix(8), fsck.ntfs(8), fsck.xfs(8) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-FSCK@.SERVICE(8)